the 100% directionless thread

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Yikes

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
seems all us vacc'ed folks getting sick not good news for the 'get vacc'd' campaign....,Hydroxychloroquine anyone?
Getting vaxxed is primarily about not getting seriously sick and if you only manage to get ever so mildly sick or are asymptomatic, great. If you are lucky enough to be completely immune and never even get infected even in the presence of significant exposure, so much the better. At my hospital, I've yet to see (or hear of) a fully vaccinated person become sick enough to be even remotely considered for admission. Thus far, 100% of our COVID admits are unvaxxed. At least should I start getting even a bit more sick than the severely mild symptoms I'm having now, I could consider getting a Regeneron infusion...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I settled on a Kona Big Honzo DL for my next hardtail, but I don't I can find a 2021 and the 2022 offering is seafoam green......pass.

I'll throw a new fork on my hardrock and beat it up for another year and see what 2023 brings.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
seems all us vacc'ed folks getting sick not good news for the 'get vacc'd' campaign....,Hydroxychloroquine anyone?
I'll admit I don't know enough about how some of these meds work to argue for or against them, but I'll never understand how a less severe infection isn't a win to people. My world wasn't an ICU, but I took some BiPAP transfers that would have been intubated under any other circumstance and they looked absolutely miserable.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I settled on a Kona Big Honzo DL for my next hardtail, but I don't I can find a 2021 and the 2022 offering is seafoam green......pass.

I'll throw a new fork on my hardrock and beat it up for another year and see what 2023 brings.
have an RS totem coming for my SC Nomad build and Im stoked, 180mm travel

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Getting vaxxed is primarily about not getting seriously sick and if you only manage to get ever so mildly sick or are asymptomatic, great. If you are lucky enough to be completely immune and never even get infected even in the presence of significant exposure, so much the better. At my hospital, I've yet to see (or hear of) a fully vaccinated person become sick enough to be even remotely considered for admission. Thus far, 100% of our COVID admits are unvaxxed. At least should I start getting even a bit more sick than the severely mild symptoms I'm having now, I could consider getting a Regeneron infusion...
Makes sense, but this isn't where most (or all by now) non vacc'd people are in their thinking. Feeling the worst you've ever felt in your life isn't cause for admission, but vacc'd people do get that sick. Vast majority were never going to be admitted regardless.

The thinking goes, if I can feel just as bad with as without, why get the shot? And as far as mitigating the severity of the course of disease, if that is such a priority, and it is, why is Plaquenil's role being so down played?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So I'm at my volly gig and there are so many flies in the break room/lounge. Is this common for volly places? Lots of flies?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont think flies give one iota if it's a vollie or paid place.

Take out the trash, clean out any old open food, etc.

Even then my station often gets flies in the kitchen, we notice especially when someone has cooked fish of some sort. We keep one of those salt guns and a electric fly swatter, some days there'll be none, the next they're buzzing all over the place

Look into replacing screens and whatnot (I wish we could, but thats the kind of thing that gets our City's Department of Facility Maintenance upset even though if we put in a request it'll be bumped so far on the backburner it'll be 5 years before anyone gets around to following up on it....)

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
They're coming from the kitchen. Went to take a call that was cancelled and I guess I didn't close the break room/lounge door. Now there are like 5 of these damn flies in here.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well then. I must've turned off my alarm by accident instead of snooze... I saw the 40 and was like "OK, 0640 time to go ahead and get up and start getting ready..." then I saw it really said 0740, paused for a sec of horror, raced thru my morning routine and arrived at station 0810, 10 min late -_-

Pop a Covid positive patient first thing. And later catch a call for a structure fire while we were grocery shopping (which we had enough time to run to the truck, turnout, start going and get down the block before they cancel the assignment for "overcooked food") so turn around and go back and find where the store put our cart...

And it's barely after noon now, maybe the rest of the day can take a break? Lol

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Well then. I must've turned off my alarm by accident instead of snooze... I saw the 40 and was like "OK, 0640 time to go ahead and get up and start getting ready..." then I saw it really said 0740, paused for a sec of horror, raced thru my morning routine and arrived at station 0810, 10 min late -_-

Pop a Covid positive patient first thing. And later catch a call for a structure fire while we were grocery shopping (which we had enough time to run to the truck, turnout, start going and get down the block before they cancel the assignment for "overcooked food") so turn around and go back and find where the store put our cart...

And it's barely after noon now, maybe the rest of the day can take a break? Lol
A call and a cancel in four hours and you think you need a break?

If McCormick Jim could see you now

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well McCormick Jim didn't have like 2 layers of protective gear on top of my uniform waiting 20+ min for the ambulance with COVID patients 😜

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well McCormick Jim didn't have like 2 layers of protective gear on top of my uniform waiting 20+ min for the ambulance with COVID patients 😜

2 layers of protective gear? Unless you were intubating him, you probably would be just fine with gloves, mask and eye pro.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
(So on top of our regular station duty uniform, the short sleeve snap button nomex uniform over top regular t-shirt, we have that "Medical Jacket" which to me looks/feels more like a rain coat, but I found advertised as a med jacket as a generic blood/other bodily fluid barrier, then over that is a reusable isolation gown, so it's a tad bit thicker than normal disposable iso gown (idea is call is over, bag it up, go and wash it in the Extractor, the heavy duty washer normally used for our turnouts, but ours are also equipped with blood/bio disinfectant for those kinds of situations as well))
Yup, liquid and blood borne pathogen protection.

They're basically this:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
"Logical" and "Department mandate" are often two very seperate things....
In keeping with that theme, both EMS units that showed up, the Rapid Response squad (single medic in an SUV) and the actual ambulance, were all in normal duty uniform with just gloves and N95s, no extra iso gown or the med jackets we have to wear, so yeah lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I understand. I was just having a conversation with a colleague about PPE disparities in EMS. I can stand at the ED and watch crews bring in patients. One crew dressed in full Ebola style PPE, immediately followed by a crew wearing gloves and paper surgical mask.