the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Hose dragger stuff. 4” is the main supply line that fire uses from fire hydrants and the bed is where all the hose lays so it can be rapidly deployed. So in this case it was 1000 feet of hose that has a 4 in diameter.

AKA it's heavy? What's standard girth?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AKA it's heavy? What's standard girth?
Heavy enough to be a pain to clean and reload/relay. Hoses vary depending on what they are used for. You can have anything from 1/2-3/4 for mop up operations to 1 3/4 for wildland, to 2 1/2 for structure fires, to your 3-5” for supply line

TLDR: firefighters enjoy hoses of different girths and often enjoy sharing them with other firefighters.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we have 4 sizes of hose available. 1", 1¾", 2½", and 4". 4 inch is our Large Diameter Hose (LDH) for water supply (hydrant to engine, or engine to engine relay). It comes in 100 feet stretches (all the rest of our hose is 50 foot sections), and a roll weighs something like 70ish pounds?

They don't unroll easy either for cleaning/repacking, so that's a chore, and yeah, hauling a thousand feet of 4" back into the bed of the engine is not fun (like almost rather be doing Salvage and Overhaul instead lol)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Especially when when the call comes in (1730-1800ish, I forget the exact time), you are doing cardio and then have to sprint back to station... and by time you're repacking hose at 2100, you realize you haven't actually had dinner yet lol

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
AKA it's heavy?

+/- 60 pounds per 50' dry depending on the manufacture. When its wet you're talking 100+ pounds. When we re-bed LDH we roll it then jam a pry bar in the center and have one person on each side holding it while its being re-bed.

After that adrenaline wears off comes the crash

Naw, its because you've been in full gear for hours on end and smoked a couple of bottles (air). My last fire was about 2 hours in length and in that two hours I downed like 3 SCOTT 45 minute bottles.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
+/- 60 pounds per 50' dry depending on the manufacture. When its wet you're talking 100+ pounds. When we re-bed LDH we roll it then jam a pry bar in the center and have one person on each side holding it while its being re-bed.
Thats a common method here. Not too bad for 1 or 200 feet. But some companies made a "Lazy Susan" like device (two flat square planks of wood on top of one another, that can spin around 360°, place the 4" on top and can feed from the roll spinning in place on the ground while the rest are muling and folding it into place in the bed

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Thats a common method here. Not too bad for 1 or 200 feet. But some companies made a "Lazy Susan" like device (two flat square planks of wood on top of one another, that can spin around 360°, place the 4" on top and can feed from the roll spinning in place on the ground while the rest are muling and folding it into place in the bed

When the shoulders start aching, which doesn't talk long haha we use the butterfly method. You can probably GTS a video about it that explains it easier than I can.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sucks even worse when you have to re-lay the attack lines because your forgot to put the grab loops in.

Don't ask me how I know.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
A lot of Air Methods people are about to jump on the Keto bandwagon 🤣