the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I would gladly rock the bright orange London HEMS flighsuits
Traffic vests are really not becoming over flight suits afterall...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Anyone else doing a plastic drape for COVID airway management?
I’ve seen several posts on Facebook about it but do not know any local agency that is doing it. Neither my ground or flight company are doing it.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Picked up a few clear ponchos on Amazon. Work well in training, haven't had to use it for real yet

93423760_3288546054999_4307148866928508928_o.jpg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
VL helps but DL really sucks. Been nicking a few upper lips lately...:mad:

Ouch, can't imagine trying it with DL. Periscope? Ha

Will there ever be a time when VL is standard practice in the OR? C-Mac for everyone

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

The part-time chase car service I work for it, but it's just something the small group of guys and I tossed together and put into our bag. It wasn't some big directive from our Medical Director or the county.

Will there ever be a time when VL is standard practice in the OR? C-Mac for everyone

I'm curious about this as well. Everything in the ED and our Trauma bays, and on transport has gone that route. While I don't love it being forced as the primary tool for every airway first look, I do get the advantages over traditional DL in some circumstances. My guess is the OR will take a long time to come around as a standard due to costs, and the fact 99.9% of the time people managing those airways day in and day out likely don't benefit from it as much as a field medic with sub 100 lifetime intubations for example.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

It has already become a standard practice of sorts...all but replaced fiber optic intubations...but I don't think so, if for no other reason conventional DL takes way less equipment maintenance, storage etc...way less moving parts if you get the drift...that does add up if you're group is doing thousands of intubations a year...but I will say our known covid intubations are by policy to be VL...by the most experienced person to boot.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I seriously doubt it. Maybe some day, but there's just no reason for it to be used routinely. Plus like E tank said, the cost really adds up for an OR doing many thousands of cases per year.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Remi?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We’re doing it and have a PVC pipe frame on our litter for it. We use clear shower curtains. They work great. We also Carry 4x4 plastic drop cloth in the BLS bag. Used it on a code the other day. It worked great.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
But why tho

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
But why tho
I was up late on call and bored. Just wanted a change. Baby Carlos has been my profile pic for a while. So I was gonna go with "Carlos". But that instantly made me think of Anthony Weiner's hilarious alter ego and ridiculous tinder pics, which I still find incredibly funny. Couldn't help myself.

I might regret it soon, but I think I have to wait a year now to change it again lol.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It was nice to just run a regular STEMI today, not a COVID sh#$ show.
Our local hospitals are treating all STEMI/CVA/Full arrests/all SNF patients as a COVID R/O. It becomes a hassle and is very interesting to see the hospital staff working a code in the ambulance bay.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Got a call from a recruiter at the CAH that ran the EMs service used to work for. Theyre building a prn float pool for the pandemic, primarily in hospital tech jobs.

I told her they could hire me to run vents on nights since RTs are days only. She said no so I said no. Not interested in tech work.