the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@Peak, truly you seem like a pretty sharp person. There’s no need to reiterate how much expertise you have, really there isn’t.

But all this talk of diagnosing things such as pneumomediastinum and the like only serves to validate your pompous viewpoints.

We all get it, none of us can diagnose these things without definitive care. Again, most squared-away paramedics know this.

I say we all drop it in this thread and either move it to another, or let our egos wallow in their own self-righteousness.

Personally? I can’t wait for baseball season to start.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Whether or not I'm pretentious notwithstanding, I use the pneumomediastinum as an example because I ran a kid with one after a bicycle accident as a medic back on the fire service. I didn't have a clue what it was, and only found out about it after the ED doc took a look at the CXR.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm on a bit of a classic tv kick... just started Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Hulu, and Supernatural on Netflix lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm on a bit of a classic tv kick... just started Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Hulu, and Supernatural on Netflix lol
I’m watching old reruns of Drunk History on Comedy Central, but you do you...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My poor kiddo keeps vomiting. It's going to be a long night. Wish I could make him feel better. But he's a trooper, does his best to get it in his bucket.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I personally don’t do any interventions ever and always frame the most telegenic or dramatic physician on the team of physicians receiving my victims in the primary camera as I side push people into the Dramatic ED where Lives Are Saved. Primary function of EMS is applying good makeup to the patients in the hopes that we find the ground between telegenic enough to live and not so loved that the fates kill them for a dramatic effect. Lots of story-crafting involved.
Sometimes we have steamy affairs with the main characters, or get hurt off-screen for drama. It’s a living. I just wish we could maybe once use an IV or something without a firefighter to empower us. I reckon I could do it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As to delay of care. Delayed intervention is well known to have negative effects in the MI or stroke patient, the septic or bacteremic patient, patients requiring advanced cardiopulmonary intervention, dead gut, ruptured appendicitis, malrotation, incarcerated ischemic hernias, torsions, intra-abdominal abscess, spinal epidural abscess, meningitis, myocarditis, pericarditis, peumo/hemo/chylothorax, vascular flow obstructions to the great organs, and so on.

Infact, tell me how you would rule in/out pneumomediastinum in the field? How would you treat it? How do you evaluate and treat spinal epidural abscess? What are you doing in the additional time on scene to benefit these patients?

Your justifications for your position are becoming more far-fetched. Spinal abscess? Chylothorax? Pneumomediastinum?

Come on, man. You are intentionally not getting it here. It's not the 1990's anymore, and the research disagrees with you. This is just bizarre.

You said you are a preceptor, right?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
My poor kiddo keeps vomiting. It's going to be a long night. Wish I could make him feel better. But he's a trooper, does his best to get it in his bucket.
We went through this a couple times when my son was about six or so months old. It's a scary feeling for sure.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yeah not fun for sure. My whole family just got over the flu, guess their flu shots failed miserably. Patient Zero was our oldest who we’re thinking had influenza A & B.

There’s nothing quite like trying to give an 8-month old Tamiflu and prevent them from chucking it back up. Yay.

PotatoMedic

Awesome. Long process, I know.
Yup. Took a year from application to conditional offer. And got an email from my point of contact saying he sent it back to me for me to update.

We went through this a couple times when my son was about six or so months old. It's a scary feeling for sure.
Helpless is how I felt. Luckily he stopped around 1am and slept till 6. Drank more water then slept till 9.
Yeah not fun for sure. My whole family just got over the flu, guess their flu shots failed miserably. Patient Zero was our oldest who we’re thinking had influenza A & B.

There’s nothing quite like trying to give an 8-month old Tamiflu and prevent them from chucking it back up. Yay.

I have a feeling it is worse than giving cats pills. I'm just happy he is acting more himself now. Except he is running around carrying a bucket.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
No one mentioned exudative fibrinopurulent empyemas or freaking granulomatosis with polyangiitis! Dudes, what about slipped capital femoral epiphysis or Maisonnueve fractures with syndesmotic injury from a Danis-Weber Class C medial maleolus fracture? Emergencies for definitive care, duh, don’t stay and play or splint or medicate!

**** man, I feel good this morning using my big words and diagnoses! 🙄

Really though, you medics and all have a good day, stay safe, and keep doing the good work I know you’re doing.👍

PotatoMedic

Second to last day of whole 30. So looking forward to pizza... and burritos... and ice cream.

But the horde of candy bars that I have collected from the hospitals over the past 30 days. Really don't care about them.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My sister is a teacher in Beijing. She finally decided to get out and head home to Bulgaria. The situation in China seems to be waaaay worse than we’re hearing here in the states.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My sister is a teacher in Beijing. She finally decided to get out and head home to Bulgaria. The situation in China seems to be waaaay worse than we’re hearing here in the states.

Yeah the videos look pretty serious. Bodies in hallways bad

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Slowly starting to prepare to move. How do you organize the 8000 chargers and cords that are now part of life besides a shoe box?