the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Got dispatched to a house fire last night. Address was on the far end of the neighboring district, so 1st and 2nd in Engines (and the Quint from the 1st in station) arrived almost same time, a few minutes before we got there 3rd in (a few seconds before the 4th in Engine). By that time 1st/2nd in had a small bedroom fire under control and were cancelling the responding 2nd alarm (2 more engines and an additional Ladder).

There were reports from dispatch while we were enroute of a trapped invalid inside... the primary search found him in the involved bedroom DOA 😥

They were calling that in as we were climbing out of our Engine. We basically ended up grabbing some tools and standing by for an assignment, and one of the neighbors came up and asked me if So and so was ok, I'm like umm.... 😬

"I'm just worried because he's paraplegic, surely they've called an ambulance by now"
"Umm... I don't know, we just got on scene ourselves... oh look, there's EMS now!" (District Chief walking up from his SUV, surely there to do the pronouncement....)

Then we got cancelled (......and promptly caught a medical call nearby before we even made it out of the neighborhood heh)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Is this a Logan’s run thing? I thought those were red and turned back when Ir was your turn.
No they start like white or lime green or something and slowly red-shift as you age. Blinking red and black = expired.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Wish I could get a weekly day off from having bipolar. It's a struggle.

Seirende

I kind of wish there was an anonymous place to talk about mental health issues.

In my experience, talking about your issues anonymously is less powerful. I would consider the forums to be semi-anonymous.

Seirende

There are anonymous spaces, but the non-crisis ones tend to be untrained peer support, which can be less than helpful, e.g. 7 Cups.

I will say that when I have experienced crises that hadn't reached hospitalization level, I've utilized the Crisis Text Line and have found it helpful. That is anonymous.

Seirende

Part of it is that they're untrained, part of it is that such spaces tend to be populated by a younger demographic that maybe hasn't had a lot of relational experience yet to learn how to give effective support.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That moment when you get accused of being a black cloud because we've had 3 calls so far (granted they were pretty much back to back including one that came in while we were pulling back into station, but still!) Lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
One of the reasons I love working as a single provider on a squad... I brought a small flowering plant to a 93 year old fall patient that I saw last week at a local assisted living facility. She had an amazing bruise on her face when I stopped in and saw her yesterday. She told me that, “all the old biddies in here thinks she’s a badass now”.

I was able to take some time to find resources for a woman who had been struggling with providing home care for her husband with dementia. I stopped back with a list of contact information and she cried and hugged me.

I’m certainly not looking for a #TYFYS... just illustrating how paramedics can use downtime to make a secondary impact in the community.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the reasons I love working as a single provider on a squad... I brought a small flowering plant to a 93 year old fall patient that I saw last week at a local assisted living facility. She had an amazing bruise on her face when I stopped in and saw her yesterday. She told me that, “all the old biddies in here thinks she’s a badass now”.

I was able to take some time to find resources for a woman who had been struggling with providing home care for her husband with dementia. I stopped back with a list of contact information and she cried and hugged me.

I’m certainly not looking for a #TYFYS... just illustrating how paramedics can use downtime to make a secondary impact in the community.
I like it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

I will certainly thank you for your service.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Climbing up yesterday morning, I was calling it all kind of colorful, not so wonderful names lol

Pffft... flatlanders...

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm a Texan. Your insults bounce off my Alamo Pride.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191015-195308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191015-195308_Chrome.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 175