the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...so right now I only have NR, but apparently there's a bridge program here from NR to State licensed EMT.
If I did that, I'd only be able to work AMR (can't work City&County EMS cuz civil service rules say we can't work two city agencies at the same time or something), and Fed Fire (the only other ambulance provider) doesn't hire part timers.

But AMR BLS apparently gets some of the lower level BLS calls from C&C EMS as well as transfers...tho not sure if they run any 1-1 EMT-Medic units...

Though in terms of needing part time jobs, I'd rather do that than Uber! Lol Plus that'd get hours/pt contacts towards Medic School, which I can get a 2 yr degree, which'll help with future promotional opportunities in the FD (just having a degree) plus maybe I can still use GI Bill and get some BAH while doing that as well?

Hmm...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I feel like 2 bear air is only volunteer but I'm not completely sure. Though I believe they have two full time pilots and a mechanic. And yeah, intermountain would be a lot of fun to work for.

And I loved flying in king counties helo with kcesar. But I don't remember all 7 facial bones needed to pass the written test for king county. (Though now that I think about it maybe I do... At least 5 of them.)

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I feel like 2 bear air is only volunteer but I'm not completely sure. Though I believe they have two full time pilots and a mechanic. And yeah, intermountain would be a lot of fun to work for.

And I loved flying in king counties helo with kcesar. But I don't remember all 7 facial bones needed to pass the written test for king county. (Though now that I think about it maybe I do... At least 5 of them.)

I think our testing has changed a bit over the years, we have a ton of folks retiring in the next couple years, we will be looking to hire around 4 per year and unlike when I went through school we actually pay our new paramedics students quite well now. The chopper folks get to carry a few things we don't use on the streets too, antibiotics and some other stuff. I don't pay much attention to it really LOL

PotatoMedic

Worked my last shift yesterday for a service that I worked part time at for 29 years.
Good changes coming? Or just time to end it?

Applied for a flight medic job yesterday. They asked if I had a current NRP. I clicked yes thinking they were talking about Nationally Registered Paramedic... Realized after submitting it they meant Neonatal Resuscitation Program. So just finished the online part of the NRP class and taking the skills next week!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief

Applied for a flight medic job yesterday. They asked if I had a current NRP. I clicked yes thinking they were talking about Nationally Registered Paramedic... Realized after submitting it they meant Neonatal Resuscitation Program. So just finished the online part of the NRP class and taking the skills next week!
Oops, but at least you caught your mistake and will have another cert that can only help down the road.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard that's an informative course, so at the very least it is some good information to review.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief

Good luck on the flight job.
Good changes I hope. Time to slow down a little. Moved to a hobby farm, still working my first medic job in the metro. But, I also got hired by the local ambulance service. 100 miles from a trauma center or a cath lab. I've seen more helicopters in my year there, than I have in my full time job of 29+ years.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I've heard that's an informative course, so at the very least it is some good information to review.

It’s a decent class, but unless you’re doing a ton of high risk OB transfers the opportunity to participate in a true newborn resus is pretty limited for most folks. Even doing peds and neo CC transport for 5 years I only attended and participated in the resus of 2 kids, both know cardiac kids coming to our facility for surgery.

If anyone really wants to take a great class, and has interest in neonates/newborn stabilization then Neonatal STABLE is a great class and much more in-depth.

NRP is pretty much warm, dry, stimulate, assess HR, BVM if needed, compressions, Epi. (You just took NRP lol)

PotatoMedic

Yup that is NRP! I want to do the STABLE class but the closest is 5 ish hours away in salt lake city and from the email I got when I asked about it was RN only. (It was an instructor class that can ALSO be a provider class (you only attend one of the days)).

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup that is NRP! I want to do the STABLE class but the closest is 5 ish hours away in salt lake city and from the email I got when I asked about it was RN only. (It was an instructor class that can ALSO be a provider class (you only attend one of the days)).

Yeah wait til you get on at a service. A lot of them require it, some don’t. They may provide it or have in house instructors.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

I've had instructors who were RRTs, so I'm not sure how true that really is.

PotatoMedic

Was looking at switching my phone plan to FirstNet... But then I noticed that my phone doesn't support the cellular band needed for the priority service. Maybe another time.

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys, quick question without making a thread. If you have a pedi pt that exceeds the maximum tape (green I believe) do you 1) treat in the green, 2) treat using adult dosages, or 3) make base (right answer 100% of the time)

Hi guys, quick question without making a thread. If you have a pedi pt that exceeds the maximum tape (green I believe) do you 1) treat in the green, 2) treat using adult dosages, or 3) make base (right answer 100% of the time)

What do your local protocols dictate you do?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

Treat as an adult with adult doses and equipment. Green is for 34kgs and above.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Many weight based doses will exceed the "standard" adult dose in larger children, administering that would not be ideal.

I'm not sure calling in would be as useful as you might think here.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Best shift of the month so far. Started with a stroke, then GSW (drive by with small caliber, abd + arm with no exit wounds) and now a STEMI. Balanced out the rest of the BS.