the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I’ll be there in 2 and half years. Guess i better get back in school. I always said Masters by 30, but don’t think that’s happening.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm about 8 months away from that milestone (though one of our Recruits hit it the other day)

In other news, we have successfully completed our IFSAC FF1 and FF2 certifications. We have one more week of Fireground Survival and Rapid Intervention Team training and then we're done with the firefighting portion of our Academy. After FGS/RIT we spend like 3 weeks doing drivers training and then we roll into the EMT portion of class (the half of our Academy that did EMT first, sounds like they all passed the National registry this week as well)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
JcChpvO.jpg

W1edSDn.jpg

98QNfq2.jpg

XFcs1DG.jpg

Gotta work tomorrow so this won't make a scenario. For your viewing pleasure. Little hint, home boy was cold as **** when we took this. Bit of a cardiology nerd, so had to save this one, never seen it til today.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
JcChpvO.jpg

W1edSDn.jpg

98QNfq2.jpg

XFcs1DG.jpg

Gotta work tomorrow so this won't make a scenario. For your viewing pleasure. Little hint, home boy was cold as **** when we took this. Bit of a cardiology nerd, so had to save this one, never seen it til today.
Them are some purty J waves

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Good ol' Osborn waves

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So last night I got ROSC on a pregnant female. It's cool as a EMT but even cooler when you're the one running the code.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It's cool as a EMT but even cooler when you're the one running the code.

Congrats!

(I've always felt like codes are the BLS call of BLS calls, you know?)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So last night I got ROSC on a pregnant female. It's cool as a EMT but even cooler when you're the one running the code.

Update from my preceptor. Baby had good heart tones and movement. Mom was starting to move her head around, but still unresponsive. The hospital was setting up a flight to a peds center where they were gonna deliver within 24 hrs. (this was at 2030 last night).

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Got a question for you all. The call was for a female having a heart attack. 67 yo F being brought toward town by good guy neighbor who also just happened to have a sat phone, He has legit reasons, due to employment for having it. But, I digress. We meet him on the highway. Female is passenger in the front seat and is the proverbial (this person looks sick). Complains of chest and back pain 10 on the scale. Very lethargic, but with good eye opening, not dependent on voice. Knows her name, but has no idea where on the highway she's at. (Understandable)

As we are getting her out of the vehicle and onto the cot, she has a seizure. Lasts about two minutes and recovery about the same. Husband tells us, Oh, she has epilepsy too. Along with the hypertension he had mentioned earlier.

Get her loaded, give her 4 baby aspirins. First blood pressure was 158 over 76 or so. Hook her up to the ECG with a 12 lead and it says sinus rhythm but later T wave is irregular...not specific. She's bradycardic down in the 50s. It varied. O2 sat was 94 on room air, put her on an NC at 4 lpm and O2 jumps to 98/99.

Enroute to the airport, Pt is getting very drowsy. Her pain over time went from the 10 to a zero. Watching her and the lifepak and getting good O2 readings but PR/HR starts disappearing as she is getting drowsy. Can ausculate a heart beat, not bounding, but not weak either, but there are no audible arrhythmias either.

Now for the question, as I am watching the Pt, she coughs. As she coughs her PR goes up. I have her do it again. PR goes up again. I can get the same increase by having her take deep breaths. Now we are keeping her at a HR of between 59 to 69 until the plane gets there.

They really didn't have time to answer my rookie question as they were packaging her for the flight to El Paso.

What was I looking at? Maybe a pulmonary embolism instead of a cardiac event? Pulmonary event precipitated by a cardiac problem? Both, like in CHF? I'm very curious. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
AV block on the monitor? Sounds like some sinus node dysfunction.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
As a Basic, due to our location, we get to do stuff most B's don't, but interpreting ECG's is not something we do or even have classes in locally. What I did see was the T wave looked like there was a long time between the S and the T and the T was ramped, not like the pics one sees of STEMIs though. I'll try to read up more on the AV blocks. Thank you.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I’ll be there in 2 and half years. Guess i better get back in school. I always said Masters by 30, but don’t think that’s happening.

Meh, unless you are working towards NP why bother? You are young; just enjoy flying for a few years and then look ahead.

OTOH, there aren't many jobs where you can do much of your schoolwork while you are on the clock. So spending your downtime now at work chipping away at a MSN might make sense. But that only works if you are much more disciplined and motivated than I was when I was a young flight paramedic in my mid-20's, lol.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Update from my preceptor. Baby had good heart tones and movement. Mom was starting to move her head around, but still unresponsive. The hospital was setting up a flight to a peds center where they were gonna deliver within 24 hrs. (this was at 2030 last night).
Awesome work man.

Working on 36 page background packets is ridiculous. Like really you need to know about a job I had 16 years ago? C’mon

It’s even more ridiculous when in order to volunteer with a local county sheriff’s office, you need to do the same. That was a long 2 weeks.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
JcChpvO.jpg

W1edSDn.jpg

98QNfq2.jpg

XFcs1DG.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

From the inferior leads strip:
- Right Axis Deviation. Quick inspection shows a mostly negative lead I, and a positive aVF.
- I see the elevated J points (J waves)

From the last strip:
- a PR interval greater than 200ms (> 5 small boxes), which is a 1st degree block (caused by hypothermia in this case).