the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Their Effingham base has been on my watch list. I doubt I apply though as its a 2 hour commute. I have also been watching for an opening at Kentucky 7 in Corydon, Indiana, but when an opening came up, I started overthinking the hour and a half commute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think Kentucky 7 has a Flight Medic spot open now. My first base was an hour commute and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. During orientation a lot of people said they were driving 1.5-2+ hrs for their bases. I guess it comes down to how bad you want the job.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
During orientation a lot of people said they were driving 1.5-2+ hrs for their bases. I guess it comes down to how bad you want the job.
Yep. Most every base within a reasonable distance from my house was 2-3 hours one way easy. I lucked out by being put on our RW. I cannot beat a 15-20 minute drive; 25-30 with traffic. Being an Angelino I absolutely love my commute.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think Kentucky 7 has a Flight Medic spot open now. My first base was an hour commute and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. During orientation a lot of people said they were driving 1.5-2+ hrs for their bases. I guess it comes down to how bad you want the job.
Yeah, I saw it a couple days ago. I need to pull the trigger soon and apply.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess the other issue is I carry our insurance and we have a baby due in early January. If insurance coverage is day 1 it wouldn't be a problem, if its 30 or 90 days its a no go till after the first of the year.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I guess the other issue is I carry our insurance and we have a baby due in early January. If insurance coverage is day 1 it wouldn't be a problem, if its 30 or 90 days its a no go till after the first of the year.
IMG_0480.JPG

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I know we ought not to get political too much in here, but it has been a heck of a week, especially for a dedicated liberal like me.

Cassidy-Graham is a disaster for American medicine across the board.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Star Trek is back! It's been too long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Star Trek is back! It's been too long!

Really good SFX. I find myself not liking the wuss of a science officer.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Really good SFX. I find myself not liking the wuss of a science officer.

I don't think we're supposed to like him, but perhaps he will redeem himself? I do kinda think the idea of a prey species is interesting (it hearkens back to an early DS9 episode, I think, too). The SFX make the whole show better, for now, anyway. I miss the campy effects from earlier shows :)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There is something special about night shift.

It could just be the people...I worked with a medic who was a night-shift fan, called day-shift folks "daytards". While not exactly PC, I think I understood what he meant - night-shift folks are a special breed and (I think) work more efficiently.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
It could just be the people...I worked with a medic who was a night-shift fan, called day-shift folks "daytards". While not exactly PC, I think I understood what he meant - night-shift folks are a special breed and (I think) work more efficiently.

More efficiently because they work when the sun isn't out? That makes no sense at all.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
More efficiently because they work when the sun isn't out? That makes no sense at all.

Management isn’t around, more autonomy (in a way), historically more serious sh*t happens at night/wee hrs of the morning etc. My wife works graveyards and she says that she doesn’t trust the day shift folks.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Less friction, like @Qulevrius says - fewer people around, less management bothering you, probably less patients?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Not necessarily less patients. Once the day cars are off, there are only a few crews left in the field, namely the 24s and the odd night cars. Even with a big system, it is quite common for a 24 to be run all night long. Especially if they work metro.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I work an overnight shift during the week and 24 on the weekend. The overnight usually turns out to be where the bad stuff happens.

I just like the night time vibe. If I could figure out how to sleep well during the day, I'm sure I'd like it more.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I miss nights; my body does not, neither do my girls.