the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My last one was in June of 01, so I'm right on the threshold.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Am studying to take the Paramedic protocol test at work since they wanted me to wait on it. Kinda stinks since I already did the Intermediate one when everybody else tested. Why not give me the Paramedic one first?!?

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Bored bored bored, stike team tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

GR1N53N

Forum Probie
Speaking of books, here's some interesting authors to check out, if you're capable of suspending your disbelief (I thought that's what fiction was all about, but I know people who read anything remotely sci-fi/fantasy and get all pissed off that it's not reality):

Neil Gaiman: Writes the Sandman series of "graphic novels", but his real novels are pretty sweet too. Check out American Gods, Anasi Boys, or Neverwhere.

Terry Pratchett: looking for a hilarious fantasy/comedy series, with an English flair? Check out his Discworld series. The colour of magic is the first, and while reading them in order has its merits, he really doesn't establish the world fully until his 3rd or 4th book. The series contains some great sub-series's featuring specific characters.. "Guards Guards!" is the first featuring Sam Vimes and the Night Watch, and probably my favourite subplot (think detective/comedy set in a fantasy world).

Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is probably the pinnacle of SciFi/Comedy, and English dry wit. Also check out his Dirk Gently books (there are two of them) for a more hilarious cross between Neil Gaiman and a detective novel.

P.G. Wodehouse (we're exiting the scifi/fantasy theme here): The great English comic of the early 20th century, his books could be described as a modern "Comedy of Errors" set in the upper class and aristocracy of England, and New York (occassionally), at the turn of the [last] century. Wooster and Jeeves are his legendary duo - the young gentleman (a bumbling idiot) and his butler (the knight in shining armour). But my favourite character of his is Psmith (search for that name in the title of the book to find him).

And for something a little different, try Chuck Palahniuk (I'd check the spelling there on wiki before hunting for it). He wrote Fight Club (became that movie with Brad Pitt), and that was one of his more tame efforts. These books are prety graphic, and deal with all manner of bizarre things, but again, this is not scifi/fantasy. Just a twisted mind's portrayal of the underbelly of human nature.

Hope y'all enjoy them!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I like your taste.

Bill Bryson! Why hasn't anyone mentioned Bill Bryson! A Short History of Nearly Everything is surprisingly informative, even if he did make a couple of mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
American Heroes in the fight against radical Islam by Col. Oliver North. is one good book to read.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
I've been trying to read the same book for over a year. Every time I pick it up I have to remember what I was reading. I only have a few chapters left.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Still studying and having trouble concentrating with a super fussy teething infant in the next room. My poor Boo Bear just can't get comfortable.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good night all. I'm gonna hit the hay early due to NR practicals tomorrow morning!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm getting a new (used) car soon... Pretty excited about that

Medic744

Forum Captain
At work catching up on Shark Week specials and in general being bored. Its too quiet around here today, that's right I said quiet. I blame the EMT student.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well, I would be in Las Vegas right now getting ready to party up my 21st birthday, but my soon to be ex sister in law is a freak, so my brother filed for divorce and is supposed to not leave Texas until after the emergency custody court date on Monday...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
4 frosts in 4 days...but what beautiful sunny, blue sky days they have been.
Spring bulbs up, lambs and calves saying Hi to the world....I love Spring!:)
How is your late summer looking...trees changing colour (color) yet?

Cheers Enjoynz

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Summer's just getting here Joy lol It's been warmer on average now than it has been most of July lol The earth's magnetic poles must be switching or something. Winter seems to be starting later and going later than usual, and summer seems to be shifting later too

Medic744

Forum Captain
Just wanting to vent about my last call. Not the actual call but about the nurse (not RN bashing-some are my best friends) just one in particular.
Here it goes:
0530 we get called out to 70ish male with high fever and lethargy. Sure enough when we get there its a good possibility that he has an infection around his new portacath site. No biggie. Take him to hospital. Triage nurse gets snotty cause I forgot to call report (it happens). Wonderful charge nurse gets us a room. Room nurse takes report then turns to daughter of pt and goes "Is he a full code?" Confused daughter asks "Whats that?"
Nurse: Its where if he stops breathing then we jump up and down on his chest and save him.
Daughter: Yes thats what we want
Nurse goes into a rant about Obama care and how if he gets his way then they will no longer be allowed to do that because the pt would not have any quality of life.

Me: In shock that she would just jump into a mess like that and be rude to the patient and his daughter. All I could do is bite my tongue and make a break for it.

Is it just me or was the nurse over the line. She had no right to push her personal political views on a patient or upset the family like that. I have worked with this nurse at another hospital and she is always rude to ev everybody.

End of rant