the 100% directionless thread

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
19:22... that guy has an attitude.

I'm also surprised that someone requested transport for 2 greens and a yellow when there were still reds waiting to be transported...

Maybe I should finish my MCI training...
But idk, maybe the outcome of the reds weren't too bright? =/

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Learning more about the stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair. Posting videos, audio and images up at Skywarn Online: goo.gl/5YXTX

The (edited) audio is awesome. Great handling of the MCI.

The uniformity of radio traffic is excellent. Obvious good training, even though they kept having that pesky mayday.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
19:22... that guy has an attitude.

I'm also surprised that someone requested transport for 2 greens and a yellow when there were still reds waiting to be transported...

Total attitude, but command attituded him right back. Amusing when 5 or 6 units would call command in order, and with the editing sounded like he just said "go ahead."

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
And can I just say that I wish they would say OK instead of clear? Is that official NIMS language? Where does that come from?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
.....I'm also surprised that someone requested transport for 2 greens and a yellow when there were still reds waiting to be transported...

Who was making the request?

You should be making requests when you have the need. You get the transports when Transportation is ready to transport what you have (Red, Yellow or Green). So make Transportation aware of what you have, and when all the Red and Yellows are transported, then Transportation can start working through the Greens.

Maybe I should finish my MCI training...
But idk, maybe the outcome of the reds weren't too bright? =/

Then they wouldn't have been red. ^_^

And can I just say that I wish they would say OK instead of clear? Is that official NIMS language? Where does that come from?

I've always used clear. Means I've copied what was said and am done (clear) with the individual I'm talking to.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

i believe he said that he needs transportation for 2 greens and a yellow when they become available.

And ive always said copy (when i heard and understand what someone said) and then clear when i am clear from something like a hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
As long as no one says, "over and out." Anyone who uses that phrase needs to be drawn and quartered.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Around here we say copy when we understand something. To end a conversation we end with our unit number and dispatch answers with the time.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dispatch never uses clear around here, clear means you get to go home.

We use copy, and if we are feeling really spunky at night when all the supers are gone "copy that captain" or "roger that"

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as no one says, "over and out." Anyone who uses that phrase needs to be drawn and quartered.

Along with "be advised" and "advise". I cant stand to hear these. Useless filler.

Usually we just say copy. If I wanna aggravate our dispatcher I'll still say 10-4. Most of the fire departments around say "received" which for some reason I find annoying.

---
- Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

JPINFV

Gadfly
Along with "be advised" and "advise". I cant stand to hear these. Useless filler.

Usually we just say copy. If I wanna aggravate our dispatcher I'll still say 10-4. Most of the fire departments around say "received" which for some reason I find annoying.

---

The problem with "over and out" is that it's a contradiction. You can't be both "over" and "out" at the same time since "over" means "I'm done transmitting and expect a reply" and "out" means "I'm done transmitting and don't expect a reply."

I'll justify "be advised" since it turns off the mental automatic mode and says, "Hey, what's coming next isn't one of the standard transmissions that you're expecting."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Both at my current agency and at AMR, we say "Received" if we understand what has been said.

When I want to annoy dispatch, I always finish with "Roger wilco, over and out".

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Both at my current agency and at AMR, we say "Received" if we understand what has been said.".

Must be a Texas thing.

I could understand if what is being is said after if is really but usually it isn't so it's useless filler. Besides if you called me on the radio specifically I'm listening to you anyway so the person already has my attention.

Just an old pet peeve from when I was a dispatcher.

---

JPINFV

Gadfly
Must be a Texas thing.

I could understand if what is being is said after if is really but usually it isn't so it's useless filler. Besides if you called me on the radio specifically I'm listening to you anyway so the person already has my attention.

---

True, especially since where I worked the most as an EMT we didn't even do a proper hail. Unit 75 on scene. <dispatch clicks mic to confirm>. Of course even that was useless filler once we got MDTs.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Must be a Texas thing.

---

Agree completely, but if you don't acknowledge dispatch around here they will repeat, and repeat, and repeat....

Sasha

Forum Chief
Agree completely, but if you don't acknowledge dispatch around here they will repeat, and repeat, and repeat....

"148 did you copy?*beat... add snarky tone* 148 one four eight..."

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
My girlfriend broke up with me today.

Said that I am controlling and bossy by asking to talk to her for 5-10 minutes a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Gah... or when Trevor gets in his habit of giving extremely detailed directions to a call that you didn't ask for, and have to wait till he finishes just so you can say on scene...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I always said "okay" to acknowledge the dispatcher at my last job.

For example, the dispatcher would say, "Medic 7, you're cancelled." I'd reply, "7 okay"

I was the only one who did it. Now, everyone there does it. I guess I'm a trend setter. :)

I only did it because I hated "copy", "received" and.. Oh Christ, save me from the ever popular "10-4".

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I always said "okay" to acknowledge the dispatcher at my last job.

For example, the dispatcher would say, "Medic 7, you're cancelled." I'd reply, "7 okay"

I was the only one who did it. Now, everyone there does it. I guess I'm a trend setter. :)

I only did it because I hated "copy", "received" and.. Oh Christ, save me from the ever popular "10-4".

One place I worked, everyone just keyed the mic on the console and said loudly "TEVoh!" Very slick, ghetto, and completely annoying to anyone who's never worked there.

One guy where I work right now says "Medic 1, message received."

And if the dispatcher doesn't acknowledge with a time stamp, he likes to ask what the time is. "Medic 1 on scene" "Copy, I show you on scene." "Medic 1, do you have the time?"