the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Being able to interpret a 12 lead and identify if something looks wrong are not necessarily the same thing.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Being able to interpret a 12 lead and identify if something looks wrong are not necessarily the same thing.

True...So its kinda like a half way thing.

They need to at least know enough to realize something is wrong.

But I could probably do that lol and I know nothing about ekgs yet.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I still can't believe there are places where the Paramedic is not required to be competent in the interpretation of 12 lead EKGs. That just seems unreal to me, no offense.

Are there any other areas like this?

Medics here have to be competent in 12-leads. But for the hospitals in my area an ER doctor has to make his own interpretation before the cardiologist is contacted.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We are slowly moving to a new system for reading 12-leads for MI. It used to be; the medic would hopefully identify an MI. Contact the hospital enroute. Arrive at hospital and the ER doctor would look at the 12-lead to confirm then call down the cardiologist. The cardio doctor would look at it to confirm and then go from there. Now the 12-lead gets sent straight to the hospital so they can deal with it as soon as we arrive.

Heh.

My agency's way? Paramedic goes "Oh, that appears to be a STEMI", bypasses the ER and walks right to the cath lab.

There is no reason why a Paramedic shouldn't be as good as the average ER doc at reading a 12-lead.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Medics here have to be competent in 12-leads. But for the hospitals in my area an ER doctor has to make his own interpretation before the cardiologist is contacted.

Same thing here.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Heh.

My agency's way? Paramedic goes "Oh, that appears to be a STEMI", bypasses the ER and walks right to the cath lab.

There is no reason why a Paramedic shouldn't be as good as the average ER doc at reading a 12-lead.

Wish ours was like that. Here the medic goes "hey look it's a STEMI". Medic tells ER doctor. ER doctor "hey look it's a STEMI we should call the cardiologist." etc.....

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Same here. I don't know of a single service in TN that isn't this way.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain

AMEN! I don't know why some paramedics think that ER Docs have some mystical knowledge of 12-leads simply because they have MD after their name. We don't need to interpret 12-leads to a cardiologist level, just to the point were we can say what is a STEMI, and identify those things that look like a STEMI, but aren't. Not rocket science.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've spoken with a couple of Firefighters/Paramedics who refuse to do it unless they are paid to take a class on it and given a raise for doing it. Every fire apparatus here is equipped with a 12-lead capable EKG. It's a shame. It makes me die a little inside to even let them say to the class about how even if you pass the class with >80%, nobody wants an EMT that only knows 80% of the material or 85% material, they want you to know 100% of it.

It's strange because I brought a couple of prints outs of 12-leads from online and a couple of done in class to share with them and ask questions, and that's when they said "Oh, I don't do 12-leads well." :( I seriously have no one to talk to in real life about 12-leads. :(

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've spoken with a couple of Firefighters/Paramedics who refuse to do it unless they are paid to take a class on it and given a raise for doing it.

Well, there's your problem. Can I double down and bet that they're union too?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Gave a guy in narcotics anonymous some fentanyl... While he was carrying his NA book. Oops lol

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

crazycajun

Forum Captain
We have been to class on 12 lead. Can interpret very well. However hospital protocol here is the problem. Doctors in ER can't stand to be bypassed so we have no choice. To me it was stupid to make us take the class if you are not going to rely on our observations.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
HAHAHAHA go figure, I finally get the ball rolling and due to what I only assume is a clerical error my Indiana cert expires in 6 months

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Gave a guy in narcotics anonymous some fentanyl... While he was carrying his NA book. Oops lol

Should have admin Lorazepam in addition. Then he might not remember anything you gave him!!! LOL

Anjel

Forum Angel
HAHAHAHA go figure, I finally get the ball rolling and due to what I only assume is a clerical error my Indiana cert expires in 6 months

OMG what a time you have had. And I thought MI was bad