the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course, on the other hand, giving the Captain (and others on the crew) a reason to not like you can lead to life being made more difficult than transferring shifts

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Of course, on the other hand, giving the Captain (and others on the crew) a reason to not like you can lead to life being made more difficult than transferring shifts

I’d give him the proverbial middle finger with your transfer. I decide my career with the dept. not someone else. I can transfer wherever I want and promote whenever I want. It’s MY career, not yours.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I’d give him the proverbial middle finger with your transfer. I decide my career with the dept. not someone else. I can transfer wherever I want and promote whenever I want. It’s MY career, not yours.
I remember being at this phase in my career. I can’t bash, or deny it. I’m simply glad I’m not there anymore.

In other news, what a ****ty week with ****ty calls. Couple that will the constant news and general moods of many of those involved. Blah, worked my way out of a slight funk because of it.

Time to unwind with the family for a few days.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I remember being at this phase in my career. I can’t bash, or deny it. I’m simply glad I’m not there anymore.

I don’t want to say that I’m there, more so of this is my mentality.

We have this hypocritical mentality in the fire service as a whole. We've all seen the union posters and have heard the sayings from the more seasoned personnel of "you can do anything in *this dept.*" "it's your career, make the most of it" but then we pull this bull **** like whats posted above. It's a mentality that I can't stand. With that said I also see the other side of the argument, some people just wouldn't fit/ jive with the guys on A shift at station who gives a crap. I get that, I want to work with people who make me want to show up to work, but don't tell me where I can/ can't transfer to.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well ideally everyone would work equally well with everyone else and it wouldn't matter who's on what shift.

But human nature is human nature, and naturally some people mesh better than others.

While I don't necessarily want to move, the inconvenience may be more to stay at a station where the Captain starts to dislike you vs simply changing which days I show up to work heh

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Or you stay just long enough for the guy they want to get assigned somewhere else, then you change stations.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
For dinner tonight I'm making my regular rice, chopped bells and onions with oregano, salt and pepper and going to stir fry them. In the big pressure cooker is ground beef mixed with pasta sauce, sweet bbq, soy sauce, breadcrumbs, herbs and spices, and then I'm layering thick slices mozzarella in 3 times in the pot. Can't wait for the cheesey goodness 😛

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Staffing trumps attitude.
Ladder climbing should be a thing, as should the hard work paying off for it. I know things are super messed up right now, but if I’m being honest you all, I miss simpler times:
FA3C4A10-8139-4665-95EF-9B4771056D71.gif

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wanted to say bye to you guys. This place has changed... and, I guess, so have I.

I probably won’t be coming back. To the the friends I made here, thank you... you made it worth while.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wanted to say bye to you guys. This place has changed... and, I guess, so have I.

I probably won’t be coming back. To the the friends I made here, thank you... you made it worth while.
My brother, you know what? I debated this exact same thing over the past couple of days. I saw what’s been going on and some of what’s been recently discussed. I get it.

But, as a guy who once joined based off of members like you? I highly recommend you reconsider.

Either way, hopefully you still know how to get a hold of me.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
But, as a guy who once joined based off of members like you? I highly recommend you reconsider.

This. There's many of you who have given me buffet-for-thought on any subject from growing up to bring a good provider.

@NomadicMedic
I'm sure I've been the source of frustration of many, and I hope this isn't a factor in your decision to leave.

That aside, I'm sure you've debated the pros and cons of staying or going so I'm not going to tell you to stay. I'm sure I speak for everyone and If you did leave you're always welcome back.

I've learned so much from the time I was a student to now because of people like you. Things that seemed difficult, but with patient advice explanation and time.

There's always something interesting going on and stories to be shared with experienced and level headed members.

Either way, I appreciate the effort you've put into replying to my questions and statements in the past.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Eh I'm not feeling particularly vindictive or a hole-ish enough to purposefully throw monkey wrenches around lol

Dang Nomad, anything in particular? I kinda lurk a lot and see a bunch of heated back and forth in other threads, but I end up glazing over who's saying what to whom and not paying much attention (helps i don't post too much nowadays beyond here and occasionally chat still...)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Eh I'm not feeling particularly vindictive or a hole-ish enough to purposefully throw monkey wrenches around lol

Dang Nomad, anything in particular? I kinda lurk a lot and see a bunch of heated back and forth in other threads, but I end up glazing over who's saying what to whom and not paying much attention (helps i don't post too much nowadays beyond here and occasionally chat still...)
Same here. Mostly lurking, but the political BS that’s going on here, mostly stirred by a few newer members is turning me off too. Might take a break from checking in for a while too. But I’ll see how it goes over the next week or so.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Same here. Mostly lurking, but the political BS that’s going on here, mostly stirred by a few newer members is turning me off too. Might take a break from checking in for a while too. But I’ll see how it goes over the next week or so.

Not trying to make this a me thing, but like, I'm not the kind of member you're referring to, am I?

Maybe it's just being told all the time growing up how I'm a problem and ruin things whenever people aren't named (not asking you to name anyone else), I get this feeling like it's me and I'm the person in the room everyone wants to leave but I don't get the hints or stay by choice.

And if it were between me and the senior people here that I've come to like and respect, I'd make myself scarce because their value is greater than mine and I'd rather not make an "unsafe scene" as it were.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not trying to make this a me thing, but like, I'm not the kind of member you're referring to, am I?

Maybe it's just being told all the time growing up how I'm a problem and ruin things whenever people aren't named (not asking you to name anyone else), I get this feeling like it's me and I'm the person in the room everyone wants to leave but I don't get the hints or stay by choice.

And if it were between me and the senior people here that I've come to like and respect, I'd make myself scarce because their value is greater than mine and I'd rather not make an "unsafe scene" as it were.
Everyone has their own value and their own opinions. It doesn’t mean that one is any less than the other. Like you, at one time all the more senior posters here were new.

This is the normal cycle of the forum. Great posters will come and go for one reason or another.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Everyone has their own value and their own opinions. It doesn’t mean that one is any less than the other. Like you, at one time all the more senior posters here were new.

This is the normal cycle of the forum. Great posters will come and go for one reason or another.

It feels like losing someone though. Like when your partner no longer works for the company. Or when someone you regularly chatted with isn't responding. Or when your normal party member hasn't been online in months or years. And you're left thinking of all the good times and there won't be anymore and you just wish you could reach out and when you can't it feels like there's some chasm between you that you'll never bridge.

A lesser extent of having to bury yet another person.

Wherever they are you just hope the best and wonder what the last thing you said to them is.