the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I started not too long ago with the Dalstrong knifes. Decided against the set since there are many I would never use.

I use a wide array of knives in the kitchen so for me it’s worth it. Plus they’re not too expensive at Costco... I’m just scared to go there haha.

I'm not anaphylactic, but, sometimes the pain comes and goes.

I got stung in the back of the neck by a yellow jacket once as a kid. Hurt like hell with on and off pain for a bit. After a while it stop hurting.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My wife is going back to work on Monday. The local emergency vet hospital made a special shift for her, 10-5 everyday. It's good, because she's been in a funk, not working.

The not so great part, my kiddo is going back to daycare. That makes me nervous. Kids in general are little walking fomites.

Just found out I got my third cardiac arrest save of the year. The hospital EMS Coordinator called to tell me he was doing well. So well in fact, he AMAed. :). That's a CPC1 save.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm hoping my recent cardiac arrest has a good outcome. Poor kiddo.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
A stand mixer is on my “want” list, but I don’t cook enough meals where it would be useful. I foresee myself using it more with the attachments if/when I get one.

My next culinary purchase is going to be either a Wüsthof or Zwilling knife set.

Yea, but as many years that you'd get out of it? Probably still a good buy long term.

And dang those are pricey.
Did he get the tPA? About 7% of people who get tPA for an embolic CVA will end up having a head bleed. IMO tPA and Airway Management are two of the riskiest things from a medical/legal perspective in Emergency Medicine.
Nah, the IVH was just the original bleed. L sided deficits, R side headache come to find out, and R side IVH.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
77DF063C-3420-4BEC-A08B-A1748C14E077.jpeg

Took the boy for his first father/ son run. He was a champ. I can’t figure out how to flip the pic right side up. Damn technologies.
Nah, the IVH was just the original bleed. L sided deficits, R side headache come to find out, and R side IVH.
Yeah those are typically no bueno. Had a young kid a few weeks back who popped one. Didn’t follow up to find out how. He was all sorts of unconscious. I’d guess a poor prognosis.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just bought an immersion blender. Already have a stand mixer.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
There's a guy at our operation. He's a really nice guy. 67 years old or so. Real sweet, happy, joking, great attitude. Medic, works hard.

But his eyesight isn't so good. People get scared when he drives and they say he uses the "braille" method to drive. I drove with him once, maybe I'm not really so concerned but he didn't seem that bad.

But I walked into the bay. The sup and his partner and another admin were talking. His partner was scared about his driving and the admin noted how close he has to bring something to his face.

This isn't the first time the little birds have said things about him.

Most people say it's time for him to retire. And it's just pretty sad cause he loves what he does. He'd give you the shirt of his back.

We love to chat and show each other memes and stuff. He's interesting and has lots of good stories.

I don't want them to force him to retire, he has a lot of energy. But, if it's not safe for him to be doing EMS...

This sucks.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
What's the biggest needle you've ever stuck into someone. Medic student says 8ga isn't a real size.

But I'm 100% sure it is.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's the biggest needle you've ever stuck into someone. Medic student says 8ga isn't a real size.

But I'm 100% sure it is.
The common IV needle sizes are 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24.

For needle decompression you will usually find 10 and 14.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

But I'm 100% sure it is.

At a certain point a larger needle causes more damage that it provides benefit, and a wire and dilator should be used instead. For something like an IV you are flow limited anyway, most pressure infusers can't keep up with a 8.5 RIC and you tubing at that point is more limiting.

As obese as our populations are, most adults need a longer needle for decompression, not a larger diameter. I'll take a 5 inch 14 all day over a 3 inch 10.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Even in hospital use? Nothing bigger in a major vein?

In hospital it is rare to see something larger than a 18 outside of the ED or OR. Patients who are typically predicted to have a persistant need for large bore access with have something like a RIC, Cordis, or similar placed instead.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Even in hospital use? Nothing bigger in a major vein?
Not often. For IV access you will usually see 18s and 20s for the hospital setting. For anything larger you will normally see a central line or a cordis (not measured in gauge sizes but rather French sizes similar to soft suction caths/NG tubes/Foley caths).

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
@DragonClaw My mom always put baking soda paste on the site when we got stung. Idk if it works or not.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
In hospital it is rare to see something larger than a 18 outside of the ED or OR. Patients who are typically predicted to have a persistant need for large bore access with have something like a RIC, Cordis, or similar placed instead.

And to add the large bore devices generally require seldinger technique with wire and subsequent dilation from a normal sized needle (eg. 20g). Thus no bigger needle.

I do love trying to place 14 or 16s in hands/wrists though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
A 14 gauge is practically a garden hose.
Still not a Cordis, doe’.
And to add the large bore devices generally require seldinger technique with wire and subsequent dilation from a normal sized needle (eg. 20g). Thus no bigger needle.

I do love trying to place 14 or 16s in hands/wrists though.
I got a kick out of watching a senior resident watching their junior resident place a triple lumen on some clinicals a few years ago.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We carry RIC catheters, but it always seems like if I can justify its use, I cant justify the time.

Thoughts from those that use them in HEMS?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
@DragonClaw My mom always put baking soda paste on the site when we got stung. Idk if it works or not.

I think I'm good now. It's little sore but most pain is gone. I mostly walk off pain anyway.

I guess next time I get stung I'll see if I'm allergic. It takes the second time, yeah?