the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Intubating.

We're not using iGels, we're using VL to intubate everyone. Plastic sheeting is used. No nebs. No CPAP. Minimizing aerosol-generating procedures.

We've added IM Epi and Terbutaline to the standing orders.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Were intubating with VL, no nebs or bipap (bipap is rare for us). Of course 5 minutes after they made that decision I had a flight with a 7 month old on home bipap.

No way am I intubating a terminally ill 7 month old when i dont have to. I took him on bipap.

NomadicMedic

Were intubating with VL, no nebs or bipap (bipap is rare for us). Of course 5 minutes after they made that decision I had a flight with a 7 month old on home bipap.

No way am I intubating a terminally ill 7 month old when i dont have to. I took him on bipap.

I had a COPDer that was tight. She got a neb while she was sitting on the porch, then she got some solu-medrol and mag. The doc yelled at me for giving her a neb. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

NomadicMedic

Neb of ipatropium?

What's mag?

Albuterol and Ipratropium. (a duoneb) and mag is magnesium sulfate, a smooth muscle relaxant. Works as a bronchodilator. I've taken this woman before and nebs, steroids and mag usually keep her from getting intubated.

We're carrying an Albuterol MDI with a spacer, but she needed the duoneb.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
IV piggy pack mag is probably my favorite treatment for diff breathers who are tight.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Albuterol and Ipratropium. (a duoneb) and mag is magnesium sulfate, a smooth muscle relaxant. Works as a bronchodilator. I've taken this woman before and nebs, steroids and mag usually keep her from getting intubated.

We're carrying an Albuterol MDI with a spacer, but she needed the duoneb.

Ah yes, duo neb. Duh šŸ˜„

What's a spacer on an MDI
It's a favorite of mine too. We use it a lot.

Tight?

CALEMT

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
What's a spacer on an MDI
MDIAdult_cropped.jpg

That's a Metered Dose Inhaler with a spacer. The MDI and spacer are generally kept separated until needed.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
A lot of agencies have been switching to this process. Some are not intubating and others are not doing CPAP/BPAP while others are not doing either.

My flight service is still doing everything which is what I prefer.

Honestly the use of a HEPA filter is more important anyway. A good seal of NIPPV + filter should fine.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Honestly the use of a HEPA filter is more important anyway. A good seal of NIPPV + filter should fine.
As long as the system is basically a closed loop between filters, yes. Any system that doesn't have the ability to filter exhaled air is going to generate aerosols. You have to know where the exhaled air is being dumped.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Today a covid pt coded somewhere. They were bagged. FD brought them in and the bvm was covered with rags. Not how effective that is for a seal ...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yeah. Iā€™d be concerned if a fire department was incubating people.
Iā€™m usually concerned with them doing eitheršŸ˜. Sorry man, had to. It was low hanging fruit.

In all seriousness, the S.A.L.A.D technique and I have certain become more fond of one another.

CALEMT

Iā€™m usually concerned with them doing either

At least I havenā€™t done any liver biopsies with a 3.25ā€ 14G ARS needle.

Low hanging fruit indeed.