the 100% directionless thread

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Correlation doesn't equal causation. Nor is there any reason to think that shootings done with an AR-15 are more deadly than others.

The Virginia Tech massacre was one of deadliest mass shootings (33) and was done with with handguns. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had semi-autos at Columbine, but they also had bombs, handguns, shotguns, and an elevated position overlooking one of the primary exit routes from the school, so I don't think there is any reason to think that the bodycount that day was primarily a result of one of their weapons being a semi-auto rifle. The massacre in Charleston was done with a single handgun. Gabrielle Giffords was shot with a 9mm handgun. Holmes shot almost as many people with his shotgun and Glock 22 as he did his MP15 with the 100-round drum magazine.

People use AR-15's because they are available, not because they are especially deadly. Take away that option and someone hell bent on shooting people will simply choose another platform. You can get 33 round magazines for a Glock 17 and with two of those pistols clack off 66 rounds in seconds and reload at least one of them just as quickly as you can an AR15. Even a handful of the standard 17 rounds magazines is an awful lot rounds that can be fired quickly, and much more easily concealed than a rifle.

Evil exists and it doesn't care what type of weapon it uses. If you got rid of every single "assault rifle" in the US it wouldn't put a dent in the number of people killed in mass shootings (which, FWIW, is still an extremely low number).
Amen.

MackTheKnife

I dropped a 14g in a patient's EJ yesterday. That was neat.
Jealous! Wish we could, but we cant start an EJ on the floor.

MackTheKnife

I am single and claim zero deductions. I have four W-2s this year and one 1099-MISC from being a contractor doing EMS education for a hospital (made a couple thousand over the year, nothing big). I owe over 2500. W.T.F.
You probably crossed a marginal tax bracket into the next.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I use the speech to text function on my iPhone to write my papers and then go back to edit in word and add the formatting and citations. It’s made my academic life 1000 times easier and more productive.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I use the speech to text function on my iPhone to write my papers and then go back to edit in word and add the formatting and citations. It’s made my academic life 1000 times easier and more productive.
What? How do you do that? Is it an app you downloaded or a feature inherent in the iPhone?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What? How do you do that? Is it an app you downloaded or a feature inherent in the iPhone?
Speech to text is built into both Android and iphone

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah, for like text messages and things. I'm just curious how you'd use it to write a paper and then edit it in word.
I use it in my notepad app and then copy amd paste it to an email and send it yo myself. I do that for epcr narratives

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Good idea, unless you’re like me and says a word wrong followed by awe ****.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Current partner of the day is..Minot cut out for this. He's the guy who took two medic schools, five tests and eight years in EMS, knows everything and still doesn't get it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Great....not only is my check engine light on, but its flashing at me (while dinging every couple of minutes).....that can't be good.....hopefully I can get to class tomorrow then to the mechanic shop (and of course there's a state law that says places like AutoZone can't do a free code check for you....) so hopefully not too expensive....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Great....not only is my check engine light on, but its flashing at me (while dinging every couple of minutes).....that can't be good.....hopefully I can get to class tomorrow then to the mechanic shop (and of course there's a state law that says places like AutoZone can't do a free code check for you....) so hopefully not too expensive....
You can buy a very cheap code scanner for like $20 on Amazon. It will give you a code and then all you have to do is google it. From there you can get an idea if you can fix it or how much it will cost to fix it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would suggest doing a search for what the flashing check engine light commonly means for your vehicle. Usually it means that you have a very severe misfire condition that could result in raw fuel being dumped down the exhaust and into the cat. That's bad for the cat. Most of the time you would also notice that there's a difference in how your vehicle drives. Check wires and plugs... the plugs could very well tell you what's likely going on that's causing the flashing check engine light.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Harbor Freight has code readers forn $50 and less, that will actually tell you what is up. Or, you can "rent" the tool from AutoZone for free.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
You can buy a very cheap code scanner for like $20 on Amazon. It will give you a code and then all you have to do is google it. From there you can get an idea if you can fix it or how much it will cost to fix it.

I second the amazon special. It’s always nice having a code reader around.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Night crew complained about my partner and I leaving the truck a mess on a previous shift. Made sure it was good to go tonight.

Attachments

• 20180226_181125.jpg
    20180226_181125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Night crew complained about my partner and I leaving the truck a mess on a previous shift. Made sure it was good to go tonight.
I love the passive aggressiveness with this post.