the 100% directionless thread

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Still salty dispatch held me over at EOS for a b.s. call even though there were 3 other trucks posted, 1 equidistant to the call away. Like c'mon.
Where are we going? :) lol. That happened to me the other day. Only saving grace is we skip the lines at hospitals. But 1.5 hr dinner rsvp's cut it a little close. Rookie mistake :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Still salty dispatch held me over at EOS for a b.s. call even though there were 3 other trucks posted, 1 equidistant to the call away. Like c'mon.

The equidistant unit should've came up and said they'll handle it.

I don't miss that nonsense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The equidistant unit should've came up and said they'll handle it.

I don't miss that nonsense at all.

That stuff happens in my system all the time. We have the ability (not one I love, BTW) to reassign units as we need, based on distance and response.
Our units are numbered based on the shift, so there is no excuse by saying, "I didn't know you guys were getting off soon".

For example, our Medic 5 is an 8a to midnight crew. If we got dispatched for a call at 11:40, I'd call out the other guys on the radio. "Medic 6, are you going to take that call?"

Situational awareness is important. i know where all of our trucks are, all the time.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@NomadicMedic Do you guys get mutual aid from nearby, or is it pretty far off? I usually like to keep track of my mutual aid, too, when we're shortstaffed.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The IRS paid out the interest free loan they took from me. Immediately spent it on truck parts. Hopefully thats the last order I make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

@NomadicMedic Do you guys get mutual aid from nearby, or is it pretty far off? I usually like to keep track of my mutual aid, too, when we're shortstaffed.

The surrounding counties and the Army base can, occasionally, provide mutual aid. One county to the south of us only has one truck, so they almost always decline a mutual aid request, although they call us to help them pretty often. The army base usually declines mutual aid, as well. Not quite sure why. Politics? And, to make life more difficult, most of the other counties are not on our 800 MHz radio system, so we can't really keep an ear on them.

Our county is 603 mi², so we've got a lot of ground to cover and frankly, unless that call is on the border, mutual aid is pretty far away. We're mostly on our own with anywhere from 3 to 5 trucks, depending on the time of day. Also, we take all of the transfers from our CAH to Savannah, and that can put a truck out of service for a couple of hours, leaving our coverage pretty sparse.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
And, to make life more difficult, most of the other counties are not on our 800 MHz radio system, so we can't really keep an ear on them.

And, to make life more difficult, most of the other counties are not on our 800 MHz radio system, so we can't really keep an ear on them.

Our county is 603 mi², so we've got a lot of ground to cover and frankly, unless that call is on the border, mutual aid is pretty far away.

Oof, I don't envy that. I see the predicament, but man, I don't know what that'd be like! Do you find pressure to do quick turnarounds to respond to multiple calls?

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
RE: Mutual Aid. Sometimes when our primary unit is on a call, enroute to the hospital, and we don't have staffing to roll a 2nd unit, we (our dispatch) have to send a mutual aid unit from almost 90 miles away. Sucks for the patients.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
we (our dispatch) have to send a mutual aid unit from almost 90 miles away. Sucks for the patients.

Wow. Rural EMS is a different beast entirely.

NomadicMedic

Oof, I don't envy that. I see the predicament, but man, I don't know what that'd be like! Do you find pressure to do quick turnarounds to respond to multiple calls?

Well, It takes a while to get a replacement drug bag if you work an als call where you give meds, so that makes fast turn around an issue.

When you're rural, you do what you can. I've responded to a call in my district when I was still 20 minutes away, returning from the hospital in Savannah.

And @RocketMedic, we carry an auto vent for arrests, but when we run a transport from the CAH to tertiary care, we take the hospital's transport vent and their pumps.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, It takes a while to get a replacement drug bag if you work an als call where you give meds, so that makes fast turn around an issue.

No Pyxis at the hospital?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
A friend is trying to set me up on a blind date. The pessimistic ******* in me says no. On the other hand, I do trust her judgement.... I guess we will see what happens.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
A friend is trying to set me up on a blind date. The pessimistic ******* in me says no. On the other hand, I do trust her judgement.... I guess we will see what happens.
upload_2017-4-5_18-42-4.png

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Is "blind" dating possible anymore ? With just a name you can find out anything and everything...