the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not being an prick, genuinely don't know, does HEMS fly in extreme heat/cold? 105+ and 5 or 10 degrees(low end)???
With heat the air particles are further apart which means the HEMS does not get as much lift limiting their weight restrictions, if I remember correctly. Our HEMS company will allow fly alongs during the cooler months but once temps get 90 and above they do not allow fly alongs.

We get temps in the 120s and they still fly.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I thought cold made for better performance. We've had some scary times with helicopters in the summer up here (district goes up to 10k feet).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@VentMonkey 105+ with humid heat is generally what NYS gets to in peak months. I knew about the thinner and thicker air which is why i was kind of curious

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@VentMonkey 105+ with humid heat is generally what NYS gets to in peak months. I knew about the thinner and thicker air which is why i was kind of curious
Lol, I have no clue what you're asking:).
With heat the air particles are further apart which means the HEMS does not get as much lift limiting their weight restrictions, if I remember correctly. Our HEMS company will allow fly alongs during the cooler months but once temps get 90 and above they do not allow fly alongs.

We get temps in the 120s and they still fly.
Yes, purrtty much. Gas laws very much have their place with flight physiology. Boyle's Law being a very pertinent one.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Lol, I have no clue what you're asking:).
If it was 110 degrees with 70%+ humidity, would you fly? would it be a restricted flight? Would your range shrink ect.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I thought cold made for better performance. We've had some scary times with helicopters in the summer up here (district goes up to 10k feet).
It does. Cold air is dense air. Engines, wings, and rotors love dense air as it makes for good power and lift. When you have the combination of high altitude, hot weather, heavy aircraft, and humid air, aircraft performance can suck so badly that some can't even fly. Aircraft performance (fixed wing or rotary) is all about two things: density altitude and aircraft weight. If the density altitude is too high for the weight, then the aircraft won't perform well enough to fly at that weight. There are a few helos that have a service ceiling that's so high that they'll always be able fly at 10k feet regardless of density altitude. Most helos don't have that kind of performance so things can become downright dangerous at 10k feet...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The freezing cold can be an issue, there's all sorts of stuff to factor in with regards to frigid temps as well. If anything, winter months seem more restrictive for a plethora of reasons.

He said theirs don't fly in the cold, which confuses me.

Zero degree rotor wash is really awakening.
Cold weather operations can be a problem for two reasons (besides human comfort). One is that fluids (like engine oil) can become too thick when it's cold out. If the aircraft's fluids are warmed, then that's not an issue. The other thing has to do with ice formation. All engines can have problems with ice ingestion. Wings and rotors, if ice forms on them, can lose lift and you stop flying. Also in winter months, you can get snow instead of rain. That's not too big of a problem for engines but people can have a very hard time flying in blizzards if they're not IFR certified and their aircraft isn't capable of IFR flight.

However, in terms of aircraft performance, air that is cold and dense means best lift and power possible.

The ICAO has a standard by which aircraft performance is measured, compared, and calculated: http://www.universalweather.com/blo...w-it-affects-flight-understanding-the-basics/
If you know what the aircraft will do under ISA conditions, the impact of deviations from those conditions can be determined.

Fido198674

Forum Crew Member
So the Superbowl is going to be here in Minnesota next year and I just so happen to work at a hospital less than a mile away from the new stadium; I think I shall take vacation that day!

I heard a news report say that every hotel/motel in the metro area is already booked for that weekend!

When it was here in AZ it wasn't bad at all. I was working the closest hospital that day and not too much different than a normal day to be honest. Most of the problems that happen there are solved on site

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
When it was here in AZ it wasn't bad at all. I was working the closest hospital that day and not too much different than a normal day to be honest. Most of the problems that happen there are solved on site
Can confirm. Was working a playoff Saturday when the Falcons made their run and the ED was quiet. Everyone in the city was too busy filling up the bars. Those who worked Super Bowl Sunday confirmed that it was one of the quietest afternoon/nights of the year.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Random non-thread worthy question. When getting an AMA on an OD, do y'all like to give them an IM dose for good measure or just leave it at what they got? BLS fire gave Narcan up the snoot, so I didn't have to do anything. Just sign here.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Picked a current production Ford color for my truck. Hardly saw any vehicles with that color in the weeks leading up to paint. The first week after paint and I think ive seen all of them.

At least mine looks better on top of white primer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Random non-thread worthy question. When getting an AMA on an OD, do y'all like to give them an IM dose for good measure or just leave it at what they got? BLS fire gave Narcan up the snoot, so I didn't have to do anything. Just sign here.
In most cases, I do as few interventions as necessary when I know a refusal will be involved. So no, if they're moving air and alert I would not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So the Superbowl is going to be here in Minnesota next year and I just so happen to work at a hospital less than a mile away from the new stadium; I think I shall take vacation that day!

I heard a news report say that every hotel/motel in the metro area is already booked for that weekend!
good thing you'll FRBO(for rent by owner) your guest room/garage :D

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
they want to AMA let them. explain to them they could just stop breathing ect. Say your not liable for anything up to and including sudden death. If you call 911 again somebody will come to you, otherwise if you still feel like your good, sign here don't die, have a nice day!

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Can confirm. Was working a playoff Saturday when the Falcons made their run and the ED was quiet. Everyone in the city was too busy filling up the bars. Those who worked Super Bowl Sunday confirmed that it was one of the quietest afternoon/nights of the year.
I will make sure to update you guys when it happens. I would be completely shocked if we weren't slammed but I agree that most, if not all, people will be at the bars but I would think at least a few DK patients would stumble in.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

Those are awkward. I don't believe it is necessary to re-medicate, but I do think that refusals should be very, very careful. Ideally, the patient is not resuscitated to the point that they can say no, but I understand that you didn't have any control over this, and it's hard for Fire to make judicious administrations, especially nasally.