the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I totally understand that we have response times requirements, and that those are a big deal to management, but I hate that crews feel so pressured that my partner reached across the console and grabbed the hand mike and went "on scene" with Dispatch while we were still several blocks out, including a major intersection, and fire around a corner not even in visual sight (so in other words met precisely zero of our criteria to be able to go on scene officially), and this is a widespread phenomenon because people are afraid of being written up for busted response times

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I totally understand that we have response times requirements, and that those are a big deal to management, but I hate that crews feel so pressured that my partner reached across the console and grabbed the hand mike and went "on scene" with Dispatch while we were still several blocks out, including a major intersection, and fire around a corner not even in visual sight (so in other words met precisely zero of our criteria to be able to go on scene officially), and this is a widespread phenomenon because people are afraid of being written up for busted response times

Is compliance that big of an issue?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Is compliance that big of an issue?
I don't think so.....back in new hire orientation, they talked about having a ~96% compliance with on scene times, which the County apparently only requires 92%....so no, but yes I guess? By management's internal standards? They still like to brag, many years ago there was one month where we were 100% compliant and they really want to do that again.

At the same time, in my year there, I've gotten a write up for missing "out of chute" time (when you're in quarters at a station, you have 1 min from the "pre alert" (phone call from dispatch) to go on air in the ambulance, 2 min at night), had to write an incident report (but avoided a write up) for a mapping error or two, but have precisely zero for missing the response time....when the call is out of your district, or otherwise far away or Dispatch is juggling units on multiple incoming calls so you end up dispatched 4 minutes into the call they can't really hold it against you (unless you added extra delays on out of chute or mapping errors but as long as you do what you're supposed to they can't write you up for it, but I can only imagine what would happen if you call on scene but then get into an accident going through that light between you and the call....I just don't want to be part of that crew......

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Why doesnt dispatch just change the times? Thats what they did/do at my old job lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My Dad always said Vick's Vapo Rub.
Haha, yep. Cures everything with a dab under your nose, and then your chest...
I need Decadron and some Toradol. Aka: the Urgent Care cure all.
oof, Toradol did nothing for my herniated disc, it did burn my arm (IM), but I'm pretty sure I was beyond medication as I limped around with a drop foot until my surgery.

I can't recall if I was ever given Decardon, or any steroids for that matter, though. Oh, and the Percs they gave me did nothing but make me sleepy.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If only Hall had EZIO...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I washed my turnout Gear 3 times last month. Once on the 4th cause it was due to be washed, again 2 days later cause of blood from a fatality wreck. Then again 2 weeks later from a structure fire.

Got new gear and put it in service at 0200 Saturday, by 1400 today it was already in the washer from a brush fire. Over it.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
oof, Toradol did nothing for my herniated disc, it did burn my arm (IM), but I'm pretty sure I was beyond medication as I limped around with a drop foot until my surgery.

I can't recall if I was ever given Decardon, or any steroids for that matter, though. Oh, and the Percs they gave me did nothing but make me sleepy.
You the hulk or something?? You seem like the kinda person that propofol would make you more energized ;)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You the hulk or something?? You seem like the kinda person that propofol would make you more energized ;)
Hardly. They gave me Versed? in pre-op (been five years) and it did exactly what it was supposed to. The term "amnestic effect" is definitely a thing.

I'm more just your average stubborn dood. I refused to stay overnight, and had my wife drive me home with sedatives still coarsing through my veins.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This is my recert year for classes. ACLS and PALS are finished. NRP and AMLS sometime this year and I have to take ITLS a year early. For whatever reason they gave me a 3 year cert last time and it threw everything off (they typically only give out two year certs at my employer).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I need to redo my amls. And teach another phtls class to keep my instructor. I'm due for nr recert next year. And my state license is up this go round too. I better get on it lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I need to redo my amls.
Same here.
LLUMC is the main one. RUHS (the old RCRMC) also has some.
What's RUHS stand for? You are talking about the county hospital in MoVal, yes?

As far as I know the ATLS course is just an "audit" for medics; it's mainly just observation TMK. I don't know if Mercy Air even requires it anymore, but like most things the alphabet soup is "highly encouraged".