the 100% directionless thread

If truck drivers have a max number of hours for public safety reasons, why don't medical personnel have the same thing?

Joint Commission doesn't care about EMS...;)

If it were a reportable measure for billing, maybe it'd make a difference.

24hr shifts of no sleep? Welcome to my station.....except instead of a bunch of RSI's and GSWs and other critical calls its all Bull Scheisse drunks and generic "I've felt bad all week so now I'm calling you at 2am" calls, I wouldn't mind a run at your black clouds there lol

24hr shifts of no sleep? Welcome to most every station.....except instead of a bunch of RSI's and GSWs and other critical calls its all Bull Scheisse drunks and generic "I've felt bad all week so now I'm calling you at 2am" calls.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking variety, but when my 20-something year old intern would whine about an LDT after BTB workable arrests you're damn straight I 'd pull 'em to the side and tell them "Suck it up, this is as good as it gets."

Those "clouds" are fine and dandy, in just that, sporadic clouds. If you get dumped on all the time it seems you A) typically don't have the best luck in and outside of work, or B) are doing something wrong.

I'm not knocking anyone here, I'm just saying I've known a fair share of these clouds, and some were rather overwhelmed even after repeated "downpours". Would you really want to be stuck with that kind of paramedic day in and day out? Lol, goes back to being careful what you ask for. You'll get it, in the worst way.

I don't doubt @TransportJockey's paramedic skills, but again, other clouds aren't always necessarily ones to learn from, more to learn by...

71b49d40a854826a731dd6c129b24557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol thanks. And add another rsi for the week. First call of the shift, four hours in.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So I have two tickets to go see Rent tomorrow night, and no date lol. My folks got the tickets, but they couldn't go, so my dad said I could use them if I found a date (otherwise he'd sell them to a work buddy of his). Only problem is, the best prospect in my love life right now is a girl at work (who has to work that night anyway) lol
Hmm....maybe a Craigslist add? Rofl

So I have two tickets to go see Rent tomorrow night, and no date lol. My folks got the tickets, but they couldn't go, so my dad said I could use them if I found a date (otherwise he'd sell them to a work buddy of his). Only problem is, the best prospect in my love life right now is a girl at work (who has to work that night anyway) lol
Hmm....maybe a Craigslist add? Rofl

Bro... Just make it happen
94be53474ad046f9649050445e0145f8.jpg

Also, stop operating from your "love life" and just work on the "sex life"...

#goodadvice
#justdoit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. This x1000. The constant sleep deprivation is the biggest thing driving me away from EMS. As much as I love the time off from a 24/72 schedule, I think 12hr shifts should be the maximum allowed if the service has any kind of call volume.
This is why we are switching to 12s in May or June. Although I like the pay raise we are getting for it too.

My folks got the tickets, but they couldn't go, so my dad said I could use them if I found a date (otherwise he'd sell them to a work buddy of his).

Ah, but did he ask for *proof* of said date? ;)

(I'm sure those tickets are plenty liquid.)

What's the status of that?
On track for proper staffing. Still trying to convince them of the wonders of drop days to make it a 3x12 then 4 off then 4x12 and 3 off. Pay raise goes into effect with all the differentials when we go to 12s.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Next bid we're bidding on our busy ghetto 24 car. DHS baby.

This. This x1000. The constant sleep deprivation is the biggest thing driving me away from EMS. As much as I love the time off from a 24/72 schedule, I think 12hr shifts should be the maximum allowed if the service has any kind of call volume.
I concur. 12 hour shifts are the best. I posted this back in 2004, still agree today.
Anyway, as for the shifts, we worked 12 hours shifts. The twelve hour shift is based on a 28 day calendar and works like this:

4 days on - night shift
4 days off
3 days on - day shift
24 hours off
3 days on - night shift
4 days off
4 days on - day shift
6 days off

That's right. Six days off in a row. Nice huh?
I miss that schedule and would do anything to have it back.
Chimp
(side note: That was forum post 784.We're now over 635,000.)

...ugh.

Don't want to think about graduate school. Don't want to think about the cost.

...ugh.

For a similar amount of time and effort you too can become a paramedic!

For a similar amount of time and effort you too can become a paramedic!

Less (actual cash outlay) cost, too. Could always do both at once (MPH + NRP --> run state EMS department?) :)

...ugh.

state job... they pay :D, you better yourself... or something like that

Back