the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I like Denver, but I don't think I could work there. Good pay. Not that great of protocols. I would feel like I'm working in California.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I like Denver, but I don't think I could work there. Good pay. Not that great of protocols. I would feel like I'm working in California.
It's your typical urban transport environment. I worked under the Denver Metro protocols during my paramedic internship, and I don't know if they need much more for their system. Pain management is tolerably decent, med control consults aren't often necessary, and drug choices are limited, but not unbearable.

In my opinion, this is the kind of system where many "advanced" pre-hospital interventions aren't often necessary. Most of the important airway stuff is there. CPAP is used pretty liberally, rescue airways are carried and used as necessary, and for patients in extremis with a need for RSI, take your pick of 14000 hospitals or free standing EDs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Honestly I have had the hugely expanded protocols before, and I still wouldn't mind working in Denver. Like Chaz said, they don't need a lot more with their system. If I handed landed an offer in Texas before DG, I would have ended up there

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
And on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the guns fell silent..
And I sincerely hope they stay that way, though we know that shall not be the case. To those that have served, or are serving now, Thank You for you do what I cannot. Let us also remember the families of our Veterans, they sacrifice as well, but in different ways.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Last I heard Denver Health was paying medics somewhere around 18-19/hr. Unknown on current accuracy. I really, really like Denver.

Yeah my buddy said 18-30 and they will start you off based on exp. So my guess is that it's still the same setup. My hourly goes to 18.79 in January. Just hope Denver does not max out at 30.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Enjoying a Dennys Grand Slam while watching Attack of the Clones on my Kindle (I ignore the haters and can successfully enjoy the prequels lol) while filling out applications bleh, McCormick really wants a full page hand written essay, guess beggars can't be choosers

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
...and I'm hitting a block on filling out the box asking why I left my last job....I def don't wanna lie, but I don't wanna send the job app straight to the circular filing cabinet either lol, anyone else have experience on what to put in that little box after parting ways from their last employer involuntarily?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
"Uniform policy violation." It is fairly begnin and if they ask, just tell the truth that you got food with family after work while and uniform and broke policy and was let go for that.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I agree with FireWA1.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Ugh. More IV misses on that poor last patient than I've had total in the past couple months.

Poor lady was at the in between stage of acuity where I really wanted an IV to treat her atrial flutter, but I wasn't quite to the point of doing a conscious IO or cardioverting her while asymptomatic. Alas.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Had a patient with some very sclerosed veins... past IVDU, burned up most of his veins. Took ultrasound to get the line... The worst part? The darned vein was toying with me. It felt like it was in but alas, no, it threaded nicely into interstitial space. Gotta find time to get a good inservice on the ultrasound...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I show up to the McCormick headquarters in Torrance to drop off my app like the website says, and the receptionist says the best time to do that is between Tues and Thurs before 9am, doing so then apparently significantly increases ones chance of getting a call back....otherwise I've submitted apps to get my OC Accreditation to apply for Care, and applied to Schaefer and 3 Evil Empire divisions (Irwindale, Rancho, and Riverside)

Hall would be most attractive, but a 2 hour commute for 12 shifts on EMT pay isn't gonna work, and at this moment at least getting a place up there isn't in the cards yet, plus since I'm not completely dead in the water on backgroundssomehow I don't think they really wanna hire someone who's gonna jump ship to a fire academy in 6 months (fingers still crossed lol) I'll also admit I've been thinking more and more about LEO if that does fall through....

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?