the 100% directionless thread

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
4Runner Trail Edition. Just as capable and a lot nicer.

You know, I'm just as much of a Toyota guy as I am a Jeep guy - actually owned more Toyotas than Jeeps - and I've thought about a 4Runner, but I'm leaning towards the Jeep.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
4Runner, but I'm leaning towards the Jeep.

Both are badass, thats a good problem to have... deciding between the two.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, I'm just as much of a Toyota guy as I am a Jeep guy - actually owned more Toyotas than Jeeps - and I've thought about a 4Runner, but I'm leaning towards the Jeep.

I've got friends with both newer Jeeps and 4Runners and they prefer the 4Runner. The little bit harder wheeling the Jeep can handle you probably don't want to take a nearly new truck on so they don't use it to its full potential.

I daily drive a '97 Land Cruiser with lift,armor, 35s etc and I'm looking to get rid of it. I'm beyond tired of it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've got friends with both newer Jeeps and 4Runners and they prefer the 4Runner. The little bit harder wheeling the Jeep can handle you probably don't want to take a nearly new truck on so they don't use it to its full potential.

I daily drive a '97 Land Cruiser with lift,armor, 35s etc and I'm looking to get rid of it. I'm beyond tired of it.

I love cruisers. Never owned one though.

It's really too bad the new American ones are practically crossovers. What an insult to the cruiser heritage.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I love cruisers. Never owned one though.

It's really too bad the new American ones are practically crossovers. What an insult to the cruiser heritage.

The new ones look crossoverish but they're actually really capable and overbuilt trucks if you can swing the price tag.

I'm looking at an '03-'07 and will be under $20k.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Can't wait to get my old school Trooper out here. There looks to be a few fun areas to go cruising in it out here.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The new ones look crossoverish but they're actually really capable and overbuilt trucks if you can swing the price tag.

I'm looking at an '03-'07 and will be under $20k.

I know, I'm sure they are beasts still. Just not moving in the direction that most cruiser enthusiasts would like. Marketing to a completely different demographic, for a completely different purpose.

CALEMT

I know, I'm sure they are beasts still. Just not moving in the direction that most cruiser enthusiasts would like. Marketing to a completely different demographic, for a completely different purpose.

I think it all depends on the application. For the newer vehicles, if you want a mix of off roading and a commuter/ family vehicle then roll with the 4 runner. If you want a more hard core off roading and less commuter/ family then roll with the jeep.

Oh... I just noticed that you're talking about land cruisers haha. As a off roading person I don't like the direction of the new land cruisers. If I had to buy a new Toyota personally I would get a 4 runner or Tacoma. But thats just me.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think it all depends on the application. For the newer vehicles, if you want a mix of off roading and a commuter/ family vehicle then roll with the 4 runner. If you want a more hard core off roading and less commuter/ family then roll with the jeep.

Oh... I just noticed that you're talking about land cruisers haha. As a off roading person I don't like the direction of the new land cruisers. If I had to buy a new Toyota personally I would get a 4 runner or Tacoma. But thats just me.

I've had several Jeeps, 4runners, and Tacos and loved them all. I sold my '12 Taco a few months ago because I really just needed something bigger. Kids, dogs, camping and beach gear, etc.....so I bought an '02 Excursion. But I still have my Jeep lust. Thinking about buying a newer Unlimited - would be nice with the kids - but I might settle for a TJ to tow behind the Ex, if I can find one that's well-built by someone who knows what they are doing, for a fair price.

Hoping to take a week long trip out to CO next summer to do Black Bear and Imogene passes, and then the Rubicon in a few years.

I've always loved cruisers and I agree, I wish they'd go back to their more hardcore roots.

Edit: you know much about those trails, @Tigger?

Last edited:

CALEMT

I sold my '12 Taco a few months ago because I really just needed something bigger.

I would like a full size truck, in particular a diesel. But I'm perfectly happy with my tacoma, I just wish I would win the lottery. Tacoma's are like grown up tinker toys haha theres so much I want to do to that truck.

I could totally understand to upgrade to a bigger vehicle for family and such.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Troopers are cool. Too bad they haven't sold them in the US for so long.
I agree. Mine is an older 93 that needs a little work but its fun.

CALEMT

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm sad.. I'm finishing my last growler of beer I brought from home. Oh well, got a fridge full of bottles from local breweries