the 100% directionless thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm 100% fried. Between the job on the truck, I'm also on several committees at work. I'm the president of the Paramedic Association, I've got a couple of part-time things on the side; I do some consulting work, I've got an Internet radio station that takes up a good amount of time a I work on the FM license, and I am being courted by another EMS agency for an operations management position. I think I just need to take two weeks off, turn off the phone and sleep.
I'm only 98% fried… I had to wake up at 4 AM this morning for a clinical spin out followed immediately by going to work where I have to be here until 11 PM. Yesterday was almost the same, therefore I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night and I think the night before…

At least I can sleep in tonight! I'm gonna need it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just got a call to take the written for another local EMS agency... incidentally the same one I was fired from... 6 years ago? For a weather related MVC. Critical Care ground/911 position I believe. Part time.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a two day admin drill, we'll be in the drill hall doing classroom trainig. All I really need is my ACUs and PTs, why do I feel the need to pack (and bring) my rucksack full of all my field gear?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
First dose for us is 50mcg followed by a second dose of 50mcg more on standing order. We can contact base for more.

If a FD gave the patient morphine PTA we can still give up to 100mcg on standing orders. It's not a huge improvement but it is a step back in the right direction.

We lost pedi ET a couple of years ago along with needle cric. Rumor has it those will be coming back in 2015. Our new medical director is very pro EMS.

Here's 50 mcg...here's another 50 :D hey you stopped pushing the plunger that makes it two doses right? :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Here's 50 mcg...here's another 50 :D hey you stopped pushing the plunger that makes it two doses right? :p

Do you want to hear the really stupid thing? As of right now we are not allowed to titrate any of our medications. We have to contact base to titrate.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Do you want to hear the really stupid thing? As of right now we are not allowed to titrate any of our medications. We have to contact base to titrate.

o_O da :censored::censored::censored::censored:?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
o_O da :censored::censored::censored::censored:?

Yep. If we want to give 75mcg of fent we have to contact base. If we push half an amp of D50 and the patient returns to normal with a normal BGL we either have to push the rest of it or contact base to stop.

Now we are switching to D10 in 250mL bags. So we have to infuse the whole bag or contact base.

Same with Narcan. Every OD gets the full 2mg dose

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm I'm in 8th place for most posts in this thread.. I need to post more.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just got a call to take the written for another local EMS agency... incidentally the same one I was fired from... 6 years ago? For a weather related MVC. Critical Care ground/911 position I believe. Part time.

That's not awkward :lol:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's not awkward :lol:

Lol massive management change since I was there... Only the head Satan and the owner of the company might remember me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh you're set then.

Yep, it's my backup if this flight interview doesn't go well... or they actually follow their experience requirements to the letter :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yep, it's my backup if this flight interview doesn't go well... or they actually follow their experience requirements to the letter :p

The way the experience thing has been explained to me is it's a "soft" requirement. Having everyone with the recommended experience per CAMTS gives an extra point towards accreditation or something like that.

Interviewed for dispatch today. 2-3 spots, 12 applicants one of which has 3 years of experience and used all the software/CAD stuff we do so I guess it's more like 1-2 spots and 11 applicants. Be nice to be able to heal and still pull down 50k + a year but I'm not stoked on losing half my seniority in the field and setting myself back at least a year of experience for flight :(

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The way the experience thing has been explained to me is it's a "soft" requirement. Having everyone with the recommended experience per CAMTS gives an extra point towards accreditation or something like that.

Interviewed for dispatch today. 2-3 spots, 12 applicants one of which has 3 years of experience and used all the software/CAD stuff we do so I guess it's more like 1-2 spots and 11 applicants. Be nice to be able to heal and still pull down 50k + a year but I'm not stoked on losing half my seniority in the field and setting myself back at least a year of experience for flight :(

I hope oyu get your dispatch job man. It'll keep you in their uniform..

And I know it's a soft requirement, and one that my FP-C makes up for in points to them. But there are three other people applying, all I think barely at the 3 years experience. But they are willign to give me around three years worth of credit for my two years working FT at 2 different agencies at the same time. (I'm the only candidate that I'm aware of that is FP-C, and my preceptor at the hospital is pulling all his weight to help me out, he recommended me personally.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I hope oyu get your dispatch job man. It'll keep you in their uniform..

And I know it's a soft requirement, and one that my FP-C makes up for in points to them. But there are three other people applying, all I think barely at the 3 years experience. But they are willign to give me around three years worth of credit for my two years working FT at 2 different agencies at the same time. (I'm the only candidate that I'm aware of that is FP-C, and my preceptor at the hospital is pulling all his weight to help me out, he recommended me personally.)

Thanks man me too. It'd help making a real salary again. The whole getting paid and not having to work thing was cool for a while but it got old about a month and a half ago. Worst case scenario I don't get it, I need to clean the garage out so I can get rid of the storage unit and that'll save some money and I just clicked over a year last month with the truck loan so I can refinance it now and hopefully get a better rate than 6.9. I've got the bills covered but it doesn't leave much for saving or fun.

That's awesome man, hopefully all that work you did for the FP-C will pay off. With your preceptor recommending you, them giving you that kind of credit for your experience and neither of the other two having the FP-C I'd say you're sitting in a relatively good spot. You told me but I can't remember. Fixed wing or rotor?

I've been slacking a little on studying. Bringing surgery back on the table really bummed me out. Good luck to you sir! I might have missed it but when is your interview if you haven't had it already? Good luck!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks man me too. It'd help making a real salary again. The whole getting paid and not having to work thing was cool for a while but it got old about a month and a half ago. Worst case scenario I don't get it, I need to clean the garage out so I can get rid of the storage unit and that'll save some money and I just clicked over a year last month with the truck loan so I can refinance it now and hopefully get a better rate than 6.9. I've got the bills covered but it doesn't leave much for saving or fun.

That's awesome man, hopefully all that work you did for the FP-C will pay off. With your preceptor recommending you, them giving you that kind of credit for your experience and neither of the other two having the FP-C I'd say you're sitting in a relatively good spot. You told me but I can't remember. Fixed wing or rotor?

I've been slacking a little on studying. Bringing surgery back on the table really bummed me out. Good luck to you sir! I might have missed it but when is your interview if you haven't had it already? Good luck!

I was out of work for just two weeks with my gallbladder.. I went stir crazy. I can't imagine how you're doing.
And I haven't had my interview yet. It's going to be this coming week I believe. It's for a local fixed wing job. Company I've transported to and from the airport on a large number of occasions.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was out of work for just two weeks with my gallbladder.. I went stir crazy. I can't imagine how you're doing.
And I haven't had my interview yet. It's going to be this coming week I believe. It's for a local fixed wing job. Company I've transported to and from the airport on a large number of occasions.

Right on. We transport a couple different agencies pretty frequently. I was thinking if I don't get in with Careflight from working for ground ops that might be the next best ticket to get my foot into the door. Two have decent reputations, one...not so much.