the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Started back to school today. I'm really excited. Full time work and school will be rough, but I'm glad to be back at it.

On another note, the low tonight is supposed to be 18, with wind chill dipping down into the single digits at some point. The south isn't as exempt from the cold as everyone thinks. All of the people here that came from Ohio are right at home<_<

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Whisky, no pants and television lounge time. That and the balmy weather and I'm in heaven.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hm, sent an interest e-mail to Riggs Ambulance in Merced County finally. Per their website, it says I need to submit a copy of NREMT, but I allowed mine to lapse two years ago. Said I was interested in applying, but not sure if I qualified. Ask if current NREMT is necessary, and also asked for details on other training required for EMTs to work for Riggs Ambulance. Kinda hoping I do qualify even if NREMT is lapsed.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We are in the middle of breaking a 104 year old record low for this week here in E TX. Last time the first week of January was this cold was back in 1910.

Anjel

Forum Angel
This is just painful

edeguba4.jpg

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Started back to school today. I'm really excited. Full time work and school will be rough, but I'm glad to be back at it.

On another note, the low tonight is supposed to be 18, with wind chill dipping down into the single digits at some point. The south isn't as exempt from the cold as everyone thinks. All of the people here that came from Ohio are right at home<_<

Nevermind, low is going to be 12. High of 30 today.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I qualify for Riggs Ambulance. I am going to apply finally.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I qualify for Riggs Ambulance. I am going to apply finally.
Saw one of their ambulances in Sacramento the other day. It's been YEARS since I've seen one of their units... then again, I haven't been cruising the streets in an ambulance in quite a while either. ;)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Riggs looks like a fun outfit to work for.

SSwain

Forum Captain
This was at 04:00 yesterday morning. Actual...not some BS wind chill number.
Any colder, and I might have to start wearing a coat.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 174

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Like I said, I e-mailed them about qualification, and learned that Riggs Ambulance in Merced County requires their EMTs to have ITLS/PHTLS and PALS/PEPP within one year of hire. They must provide proof that they were NREMT at one time, but it does not need to be current.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
More computer learning for the new job. Kill me now?

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
This was at 04:00 yesterday morning. Actual...not some BS wind chill number.
Any colder, and I might have to start wearing a coat.

Saw the same here in the Mitten across the pond. Never thought I would see the day we had negative ambient temps in (>10degF) double digits, until yesterday.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Saw the same here in the Mitten across the pond. Never thought I would see the day we had negative ambient temps in (>10degF) double digits, until yesterday.

I don't like it one bit. -15 yesterday was the lowest. It is 13 today. Hot damn it's a heat wave! Roads are still a sheet of ice though.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
I don't like it one bit. -15 yesterday was the lowest. It is 13 today. Hot damn it's a heat wave! Roads are still a sheet of ice though.

I live and work in the West Michigan area, and it's been a number of years since I can recall a winter-barrage that has been as brutal as the last few days have been. Roads in town have minimally 4" of solid ice on them, thankfully US-131 N & S are plowed clear and dry. Have to admit, MDOT / County Road Comm's are really doing a nice job this year so far, I'm impressed.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I live and work in the West Michigan area, and it's been a number of years since I can recall a winter-barrage that has been as brutal as the last few days have been. Roads in town have minimally 4" of solid ice on them, thankfully US-131 N & S are plowed clear and dry. Have to admit, MDOT / County Road Comm's are really doing a nice job this year so far, I'm impressed.

I'm on the eastish side. Lol live in macomb county, work in Oakland.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
I'm on the eastish side. Lol live in macomb county, work in Oakland.

Nice - I did my bachelors in engineering and had several work study assignments on the east-ish side. Looks like you guys were spared the worst of the snow though, we have piles outside my apartment building that are 15' high just from the last 3-5 days worth of accumulation.

What I'm really excited about is that for the first time in 3-4 years we've had a hard freeze well below 0C for a solid 10 days. That means that there will be a significant reduction in the dormant tick population - and being a mountain biker / hiker that is GREAT news for me.

Last edited by a moderator: