the 100% directionless thread

Anjel

Forum Angel

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark. Anymore hints and I'll end up with an infraction.

Hahaha I'm picking up what you're putting down. Sorry, like I said I was out on the lake all day drinking brews. I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There ya go. I stand corrected.

Just make sure you're aware of the protocol for your company/county not just the one he referenced. Although they're all pretty similar from what I've seen.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Just make sure you're aware of the protocol for your company/county not just the one he referenced. Although they're all pretty similar from what I've seen.
Well, thus far I'm not employed. And I only have my EMT-B, so I highly doubt I'll be on an ALS rig any time soon.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Im beginning to get discouraged. I have apps in at all surrounding county services for part time spots, and all are hiring. Cant even get a phone call. I've had an app in at one place for 8 months and the spot still hasn't been filled (nor the second spot in which ive had an app in for 4 months)

Pretty soon I'll have my medic and ill have to reapply and start the wait all over again.

I wouldn't care of the GF want preggo. Trying to get a foot in for the better insurance.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well, thus far I'm not employed. And I only have my EMT-B, so I highly doubt I'll be on an ALS rig any time soon.
Being an EMT not on an ALS rig doesn't exclude you from it. In some areas, they utilize BLS for 911 too. At the same time, you could still get a dead on arrival doing interfacility transfers too, but it's a lot rarer.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Im beginning to get discouraged. I have apps in at all surrounding county services for part time spots, and all are hiring. Cant even get a phone call. I've had an app in at one place for 8 months and the spot still hasn't been filled (nor the second spot in which ive had an app in for 4 months)

Pretty soon I'll have my medic and ill have to reapply and start the wait all over again.

I wouldn't care of the GF want preggo. Trying to get a foot in for the better insurance.

Give them a call to follow up. Say something like "hello, I'm rmabrey and I have an application in with your service. I was just calling to confirm that you have my information and to see if there was anything else you would need from me. I'm almost finished with my paramedic and would really like to work for your service."

I did this recently. It showed them that I was serious about moving and they gave me an interview. It lets them know that you're still interested. It may get them to take a look at your file too. As long as you aren't obnoxious it might help and almost certainly won't hurt.

Good luck! I know how difficult it is to play the waiting game.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well, reading that atrocious material paid off. Number 2 of 150 on my promotional test today :D

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

Looking for a move to exciting Central Oklahoma?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I am in the best ambulance in the county today. Comfortable cab, arm rests, nice radio, well designed patient compartment, everything easy to reach from the captains chair, fuel economy is amazing.

This is a good day.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Had a crazy dream last night.

I dreamt that a married couple came up to my church for help. The woman said her husband had been stung by a bee and that he was allergic. I jumped right in to help, shouting orders. “Go call 911! Tell them we have a male in his mid 40′s suffering from anaphylaxis!!”
I asked the wife if he had an Epi-Pen. She hands me an object that more closely resembles an ice pick than an Epi-Pen. (But, hey, dreams are weird like that!) I put the object in the man’s hand, wrap my hand around his and plunge it into his thigh, like you’re supposed to do with the pen. It goes all the way in, to the hilt of the thing.
After a moment or two, I ask him if his breathing is any easier, asking him to hold up one finger for yes, and two for no. He indicates no. Very quickly, the ambulance arrives on-scene. I give my report to the medic, stating that the patient’s Epi-Pen was administered approx. five minutes prior to EMS arrival on-scene. I got a dirty look from the medic, who said (something like), “Since when do Epi-Pens look like ‘Sho Yun’ daggers?”
Then I woke up … Thoroughly confused. :unsure: :huh: :blink:

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
I put the object in the man’s hand, wrap my hand around his and plunge it into his thigh, like you’re supposed to do with the pen.
Does this seem dumb to anyone else or is this really the proper way to "assist" in administering an epi-pen (meaning I'm the dumb one)? :blink:
This may be the first time I've heard that you're supposed to do that. Honestly, if they say they can't administer it themselves, I'm going to do it myself, not wrap their hands around it.

I think wrapping the patient's hand around the epi-pen would get in the way more than anything.

... or perhaps wrapping the hand around the "epi-pen object" was an in-dream oddity?

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
... or perhaps wrapping the hand around the "epi-pen object" was an in-dream oddity?
Chris~
wrapping the pt's hand around the pen was something I learned to do in a lay-person first aid class. It's a CYA matter for the lay-person. If something should go wrong, only the pt's fingerprints are on the epi-pen.
I meant that the plunging into the thigh was what you're supposed to do.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
If something should go wrong, only the pt's fingerprints are on the epi-pen. .
:blink:
What do you intend to go wrong that fingerprint analysis would be warranted?

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Its just what the First Aid instructor said. Maybe the medicine didn't work and the person died. Then the family wants to sue the poor lay responder who tried to help. Who knows? And we live in a very lawsuit-happy society nowadays.

Being an EMT not on an ALS rig doesn't exclude you from it. In some areas, they utilize BLS for 911 too. At the same time, you could still get a dead on arrival doing interfacility transfers too, but it's a lot rarer.

In my company our BLS rigs get utilized for 911 as back up to our ALS rigs.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Its just what the First Aid instructor said. Maybe the medicine didn't work and the person died. Then the family wants to sue the poor lay responder who tried to help. Who knows? And we live in a very lawsuit-happy society nowadays.

Good Samaritan...

Your instructor, if they did say that, is retarded.