Terriost Targeting First Responders

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I would like to take a minute and explain some issues I have addressed with my agency. Its not a matter if another terriost attack will take place but when. I would like to raise awareness that secondary explosions targeting first responders of EMS and Police is a very real threat. Remeber scene saftey and I cannot press this enough. Do not get tunnel vision of treating this just like another call with victim's. Treat it as an active crime scene with the possibilty of secondary attacks. If you see something that dosnt sit right with you raise concern. Things such as trash bins out not on trash day, backpacks laying out, clump of trash in the gutter, suspicious heavily laiden cars, ext. Everyone stay safe out there and remember scene safety.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I'm trying to see what the sarcasm is for here, short of not having heard the news yet. This is a reminder that we all need, and things everyone should be aware of.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm trying to see what the sarcasm is for here, short of not having heard the news yet. This is a reminder that we all need, and things everyone should be aware of.
It's not something we take seriously until it is too late, as a society... We may talk the talk, but not many walk the walk or are trained to handle such situations properly.

I have found it is the unfortunate combination of complacency and "it won't happen to me" attitudes which prevent people from caring as much as they should.

I once went to a local seminar (for CEs) put on by the Health District in LV where the main speaker was an EOD guy who had real-life experience in Israel. He spoke about how the Israeli first responders have been dealing with this for years; he went on to teach us what they've learned, TTPs, and how to stay alive. There were other topics and elements also, but that was the mainstay of the presentation. Some of it was a rehash for me from working overseas and having some similar training. Even still, I learned quite a bit, and was grateful for the opportunity. However, the overwhelming atmosphere among the LEOs, EMS folk, and FFs in the room and after was, "what a waste of time." Those folks will likely become casualties when the SHTF. There were only a few others who dug it as much as I did.

We live in a time and place where we have been conditioned to believe that violence is evil, rare, unnecessary, etc... The truth of mankind (and the US) is that we got to where we are today with violence at the forefront of civilization. Since sticks and stones humans have been fighting and inventing more effective means of maiming and killing each other. At times, well placed violence is necessary for safety and protecting your way of life; however that is not my point.

My point, much like the OP's, is that we must be vigilant and attentive to these types of scenarios. We require more training and threat awareness if we are to become assets instead of additional victims. Granted, his grammar distracted from his intent, yet he does bring a very important topic to the table.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sandpit, any tips or whatnot from that seminar you feel could be shared here?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I think we should put criticism aside and take this seriously.

I grew up in Paris, where metro bombings and the kind of stuff that happened yesterday have been a reality for decades. I remember when they switched from heavy steel public trash cans to a thin metal ring that supported a clear bag, because, as my mom explained to me, the old ones were used to house bombs.
Maybe I take it for granted that I was ingrained at a young age with a heightened level of suspicion, while some people really need to be reminded that when **** hits the fan, you need to be ready to duck.

The OP didn't really impart us with any useful information.
He's just grandstanding.
And yeah, I am annoyed that he couldn't even pay the topic at hand the respect it deserves by running spell-check. Yes, terrorism happens and it sucks, but fear mongering is the worst response. Yesterday's events won't change how I do my job at all, because I already practice scene safety, stage for LE, etc. Oh, and because my agency won't spring for bomb suits.

Last edited:

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I grew up in Paris, where metro bombings and the kind of stuff that happened yesterday have been a reality for decades. I remember when they switched from heavy steel public trash cans to a thin metal ring that supported a clear bag, because, as my mom explained to me, the old ones were used to house bombs.
Maybe I take it for granted that I was ingrained at a young age with a heightened level of suspicion, while some people really need to be reminded that when **** hits the fan, you need to be ready to duck.

He's just grandstanding.
And yeah, I am annoyed that he couldn't even pay the topic at hand the respect it deserves by running spell-check. Yes, terrorism happens and it sucks, but fear mongering is the worst response. Yesterday's events won't change how I do my job at all, because I already practice scene safety, stage for LE, etc. Oh, and because my agency won't spring for bomb suits.

You may come from an area and have a natural level of heightened suspicion. Most people don't. Especially once they get into a habit of "routine" calls. Being reminded of something occasionally isn't a bad thing. Even if you feel comfortable, sometimes, that's the best time to be reminded.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Things such as trash bins out not on trash day, backpacks laying out, clump of trash in the gutter, suspicious heavily laiden cars, ext.

This isn't freaking Iraq. Run you calls and don't be an idiot. It is always EMS folks who seem to start the drama, by saying we are being targeted for being EMS. The sooner you realize if someone wants you dead, you're dead, the sooner you can quit being whack jobs.

OP
OP
E

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
This isn't freaking Iraq. Run you calls and don't be an idiot. It is always EMS folks who seem to start the drama, by saying we are being targeted for being EMS. The sooner you realize if someone wants you dead, you're dead, the sooner you can quit being whack jobs.
It was aimed specifically at response to terrorist attacks where the possibilities on secondary attacks aimed at EMS is a real possibility. It has happened before and complacency killed.

OP
OP
E

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant

He's just grandstanding.
You can say Im grandstanding but I assure you I am attempting to raise awareness to a serious possibility. France may be more aware of the reality as you claim but having spent time all over the world I can assure complacency gets everyone eventually. The US missed 19 Saudi hijackers, Spain missed a parcel on a train, and France missed wack jobs walking around with AK-47s killing numerous people just after a recent terrorist attack. It dose not matter cause if people truly wish us harm they will find a way.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If I may....

While yes, your concerns are all of our concerns...the "grandstanding" took place when you posted a small tidbit about basic scene awareness and opened it with YOU addressing YOUR agency on all of these concerns. Also, posting this while a terrorist attack is still under way on every single channel contributed to the adverse comments.

Just my observation of how you presented.

OP
OP
E

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
If I may....

While yes, your concerns are all of our concerns...the "grandstanding" took place when you posted a small tidbit about basic scene awareness and opened it with YOU addressing YOUR agency on all of these concerns. Also, posting this while a terrorist attack is still under way on every single channel contributed to the adverse comments.

Just my observation of how you presented.
Ok I can see your point as it may come across that way. If anyone wants I can post up some good links to terrorism response for EMS so we can contiue to learn.

Pond Life

Forum Crew Member
The ambulance service you work for will take advise from national committees on what needs to be taught to EMS personnel and usually fund the workshops or set up the learning packages. There are some geographical areas that are more prone to such attacks than others but let us not forget the easy targets are very tempting to terrorists. Learn and remember the basics and make sure your dumb cards are always in your truck to remind you what to do.
At the moment we're being warned about first explosions may be bait to draw rescue personnel into an obvious staging area for the 'main event' right underneath their trucks.
Be safe

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You can say Im grandstanding but I assure you I am attempting to raise awareness to a serious possibility. France may be more aware of the reality as you claim but having spent time all over the world I can assure complacency gets everyone eventually. The US missed 19 Saudi hijackers, Spain missed a parcel on a train, and France missed wack jobs walking around with AK-47s killing numerous people just after a recent terrorist attack. It dose not matter cause if people truly wish us harm they will find a way.
Yes, because there were people walking down the street waving rifles in the air and nobody noticed or cared. Damn those complacent frenchmen, huh? :rolleyes:

That is absolutely pathetic and disgusting that you think that and are so uninformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.