Tattoos

Jasmyn cochran

Forum Ride Along
I planned on getting a tattoo when I turn 18. It’ll be a small one on my wrist. Will this be an issue? I’m not sure if you can or can’t have tattoo’s when trying to get a job as an EMT.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It depends. There used to be a much bigger stigma against tattoos in EMS. Today, not so much.

Some departments or services may require you to cover any visible tattoos. Such policies seem to be more common in public agencies.

I think you're safe with a small tattoo on your wrist.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I knew an FD that would flat out trash any applicants who had any visible tattoos anywhere in PT uniform (t-shirt and gym shorts). That was for EMT and FF applicants.

On the other hand, most private companies really only cared if any tats were on your face or neck, a small wrist one would probably not draw much of any particular attention.

But you have to check with the actual employers in your area. There's a spectrum, some are absolutely hostile against any and all visible tattoos, others don't have any policies on them.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I can see the tattoo and dyed hair stigma going away within the next 10-15 years once all of the boomers retire.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I knew an FD that would flat out trash any applicants who had any visible tattoos anywhere in PT uniform (t-shirt and gym shorts). That was for EMT and FF applicants.

On the other hand, most private companies really only cared if any tats were on your face or neck, a small wrist one would probably not draw much of any particular attention.

But you have to check with the actual employers in your area. There's a spectrum, some are absolutely hostile against any and all visible tattoos, others don't have any policies on them.
Didnt you work for that FD? When I tested for them, a capt came out in PT gear and said if you have tattoos that can be seen in this uniform, you should get up and leave now.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Didnt you work for that FD? When I tested for them, a capt came out in PT gear and said if you have tattoos that can be seen in this uniform, you should get up and leave now.
Yes I did, and I remember for both the Firefighter test, and the EMT Ambulance Operator (AO) test they did exactly that. I also remember a handful of people actually getting up and leaving. At least if you are gonna have a super strict tattoo policy they were very upfront about it before you really got into the hiring process.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I can see the tattoo and dyed hair stigma going away within the next 10-15 years once all of the boomers retire.

Says the inconsiderate and disrespectful millennial. Thank you for making us all look bad. We appreciate it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Haha, the most quoted post in one thread I've seen in a while. Way to go @Fezman92!

I don't sport any tattoos (not really my style, nor is dyed hair), but I do currently sport a faux-hawk (along with my 2-year old son) and frequently work with our program manager, who is also a flight nurse.

Side note: I am neither a "boomer", or millennial.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
All behavior has consequence, you have to decide if the the pros outweigh the cons.

Visible tattoos are going to limit some employment opportunities, it’s difficult to determine to what degree. You are applying to a saturated market, keep that in mind.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
All behavior has consequence, you have to decide if the the pros outweigh the cons.

Visible tattoos are going to limit some employment opportunities, it’s difficult to determine to what degree. You are applying to a saturated market, keep that in mind.
Not necessarily, it all comes down to local cultural norms.

For example when I was in LA, it was very militaristic, anti-tattoo, better be clean shaven, etc

Some places have absolutely zero issues with full sleeve tatts and beards and goatees and the OPs tattoo won't be a major issue, saturated market or not. I doubt a wrist tattoo will be a conscious hiring consideration here:
1611025633540.png

Other places (like the FD I previously mentioned), the mere presence of said tattoo will automatically result in the application being thrown away and not even being allowed to take the hiring test. The OP needs to check their local employers if tattoos are tolerated or not (and if so whether or not a wrist tat would be acceptable)

About the only universal constants regarding tattoos is that anything face or neck is pretty much always a no go, and that racist or gang related is going to be universally unacceptable. If say the wrist tattoo is something like a Hindu swastika, not related to Nazi's at all, is still gonna be almost certainly not allowed, for example. Bit of an extreme example, doubt the OP's intended tattoo is anything like that.

While I don't have any myself, I personally don't think tattoos in and of themselves are unprofessional. I wouldn't have a problem if I needed an ambulance and one of those Nightwatch crews, or anyone else for that matter, had a full sleeve. But yeah, there are employers who care about such things.

So (once again) you have to check with your local agencies about what they will/won't accept regarding tattoos. And even if your local spots are perfectly cool with them, if you ever do decide to move in the future, a wrist tat could definitely limit opportunities.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Not necessarily, it all comes down to local cultural norms.
Some places have absolutely zero issues with full sleeve tatts and beards and goatees and the OPs tattoo won't be a major issue, saturated market or not. I doubt a wrist tattoo will be a conscious hiring consideration here...

Other places (like the FD I previously mentioned), the mere presence of said tattoo will automatically result in the application being thrown away and not even being allowed to take the hiring test. The OP needs to check their local employers if tattoos are tolerated or not (and if so whether or not a wrist tat would be acceptable)

About the only universal constants regarding tattoos is that anything face or neck is pretty much always a no go, and that racist or gang related is going to be universally unacceptable. If say the wrist tattoo is something like a Hindu swastika, not related to Nazi's at all, is still gonna be almost certainly not allowed, for example. Bit of an extreme example, doubt the OP's intended tattoo is anything like that.

While I don't have any myself, I personally don't think tattoos in and of themselves are unprofessional. I wouldn't have a problem if I needed an ambulance and one of those Nightwatch crews, or anyone else for that matter, had a full sleeve. But yeah, there are employers who care about such things.

So (once again) you have to check with your local agencies about what they will/won't accept regarding tattoos. And even if your local spots are perfectly cool with them, if you ever do decide to move in the future, a wrist tat could definitely limit opportunities.

Hence why I stated it is difficult to determine the degree of impact.

Some employers may not have a policy or a practice againts tattoos, but the unconsious impacts may extend beyond this. It will also depend on the applicant pool. Certainly during a time of fewer qualified applicants the requirments (formal or informal) will be extended beyond what is typical.

Personally I have no issues with most tattoos, however it is difficult to argue that even in a work culture that is not sensitive to tattoos that a poorly planed or exicuted tattoo won't have any effect on hiring.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I have a sleeve and both my employers don’t mind. A few people I know have hand tattoos as well. As long as it’s not offensive

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I have a sleeve and both my employers don’t mind. A few people I know have hand tattoos as well. As long as it’s not offensive
Keep in mind that just because it is not offensive today does not mean it will never be offensive in the future.

TQ1106

Forum Ride Along
I planned on getting a tattoo when I turn 18. It’ll be a small one on my wrist. Will this be an issue? I’m not sure if you can or can’t have tattoo’s when trying to get a job as an EMT.
I think it just depends on the agency you work for. I have decently sized and visible tattoos on both arms but my agency doesn't require me to cover them up! The ONLY requirement for being covered up is if they are considered offensive. Things are definitely changing in the work world regarding tattoos. They are much more acceptable today than in the past.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I'm currently working 911 in Las Vegas. City fire, County fire, Metro Police, and Private ambulance all have a huge number of employees (including myself) with full sleeve and large visible tattoos. We wear short sleeve shirts and no one gives a damn. It does not affect anyone's ability to safely perform job functions or practice medicine. Many of the doctors and nurses in the ED here also have full sleeve or half sleeve visible tattoos. Any agency or workplace which discriminates based on tattoos is archaic...