Tattoos

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I think it would be kind of tacky with their name being part of the tattoo. I would just wait awhile and think it over buddy. Those are hard to get rid of. But if your hearts set on it, don't let anyone tell you different. Theres always gonna be haters out there, and the fact of the matter is that it will be on your skin, not theirs. So in the end, just do what feels right! Good luck.

It was just a huge moment in my life.. I had been 3rd riding for probably six months.. When his daughter came running into the room screaming "Does this hotel had an AED!" I just kicked into EMS mode, I guess you could call it..

Nobody else did anything.. I bet half the people didn't even know what she meant..

I worked the guy for ten minutes, at least.. and being my first "solo".. it's just stuck with me.. I can remember every second of that day, every detail..

The following morning I saw his family at breakfast.. they came over to me and my grandparents and thank me for doing what I did, when nobody else did anything..
They went back to their table, and broke down crying, all three of them.. So I went over to them, and asked if I could lead them in a prayer..

I felt like they were family, right then and there..

Make fun of me if you want, call me stupid, and say he wasn't a "patient" because I don't have my cert.. but to me, he was the first person I ever lost.. And I know I will lose countless others in my career..

I guess I just want to try and remember that even when I was young, and had no official training or license.. I still did everything I possibly could.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
As for the HIPPA thing, I should have been a bit more clear.

What JP is trying to point out is that it is not HIPPA...it is HIPAA.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What JP is trying to point out is that it is not HIPPA...it is HIPAA.

...and that since the original poster (OP) was not a "covered entity" for that call, he is not bound to follow HIPAA for that call (regardless of any crimes against good taste he might commit).

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
...and that since the original poster (OP) was not a "covered entity" for that call, he is not bound to follow HIPAA for that call (regardless of any crimes against good taste he might commit).

Gotcha. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
It was just a huge moment in my life..

I guess I just want to try and remember that even when I was young, and had no official training or license.. I still did everything I possibly could.

Ok, now that's I've stopped blushing about my HIPAA blunder (did I get it right?)
I can understand where you're coming from. But, think about it. You've probably heard it a million times that tattoos are permanent, blah blah blah, but don't rush into it.

Find a good artist, and explain the story to them. If they're worth their salt they will help you come up with a great piece. When and if you get it done I'd like to see it.

Pending appropriate locations and such.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I love how dpm was spot on about the OP being 17 and not an emt. Gave me a really good laugh. Anyways if you really want the tattoo get it. Sure it will look cool amongst your high school friends and its a "cool" story to share. 10 years down the road though very few people, to almost no one will think your cool for having a tattoo though. Just make sure your getting the tattoo because you like it and its what you want. Not because you want to impress people and get girls. When I was your age I wanted tattoos to impress people. Luckily I only got 1 thats on my shoulder and has to do with my deceased brother. However i find it really personal and don't like talking about it or showing it off. So it really ended up being more for myself and a good choice. :) Anyways just sharing my experience with you. Get it if you want just think about it! Make sure you really want it. Something that personal isn't meant to be shared and paraded around though. I am sure the deceased persons family members wouldn't like it very much if you used it to pick up chicks.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
3232_71573213230_511993230_1762292_2601448_n.jpg

Not quite as shiney as it is in that pic anymore. Pic is when I first got it 4 years ago now. Still looks pretty nice though and it fits my arm better now.

I got it when I was 18. I don't regret it one bit, but I spent a long time deciding what I wanted. I will eventually get one on my left shoulder to balance it out.=

Word of advice, as others have probably stated, don't get a tattoo on a visible body part. Anything below the knees or elbows is a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I absolutely LOVE that! I may steal the design. ;)

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Really? I mean really? Really. Really?

If you get a tat for every dead or slightly disturbing death you have might as well change your name to Darth Maul.

My uncle's FF tat is a big regret. He was a FF for 15 years, had a bad call where he lost a friend in a structure collapse, lead to depression, burn out and him quitting. Nothing like a good ol' reminder of how good things used to be when struggling through the depression. However that story is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt.

My general rule of thumb is that IQ can be directly proportional to number of Tattoos at age 20. Wait until you are older like 23-25.

ARose

Forum Lieutenant

If you get a tat for every dead or slightly disturbing death you have might as well change your name to Darth Maul.

My uncle's FF tat is a big regret. He was a FF for 15 years, had a bad call where he lost a friend in a structure collapse, lead to depression, burn out and him quitting. Nothing like a good ol' reminder of how good things used to be when struggling through the depression. However that story is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt.

My general rule of thumb is that IQ can be directly proportional to number of Tattoos at age 20. Wait until you are older like 23-25.

I don't know which made my day:
Your avatar, your reference to Darth Maul, or both on the same post.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Thanks for the generalization. :D

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Found a picture of you.
geek.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Lol, I actually did just that. I had wanted Tats since my teen years but always told myself I would wait until I turned 30 and then and only then if I still wanted to get inked get them then. Though i did actually start the dragon on my back when I was 29, but almost made it to 30 before starting to get inked. My Back and Chest shields are both now done and will eventually finish my traditional Japanese business suit.

cookiexd40

Forum Crew Member
61c2f0b9-3254-7309.jpg

Flag 3/4 sleeve work in progress...several others all over total of 14 tats only one fire dept related one and its a memorial for my g-pa

61c2f0b9-32b6-29be.jpg

After workin out .....

Excuse the lack of pics

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have 2 half sleeves right now and will be turning them into 2 full sleeves by the end of this year on my 30th birthday. Most agency's are ok with it, although I am not required, I have no problem covering them up at
work to appear more "professional" especially to elderly patients.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I have 2 half sleeves right now and will be turning them into 2 full sleeves by the end of this year on my 30th birthday. Most agency's are ok with it, although I am not required, I have no problem covering them up at
work to appear more "professional" especially to elderly patients.

Ya after your on they might not care. However I am pretty sure you go into an interview with tats a blazing all over the place you wont be getting that job.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ya after your on they might not care. However I am pretty sure you go into an interview with tats a blazing all over the place you wont be getting that job.

Do you routinely wear short sleeves to interviews? Short sleeves in an interview is a pretty good reason why one may not be getting a job as well.

If they can't see them they don't know about them. I don't see the problem...I don't see any reason why you would be talking about your tattoos in an interview either...