Tattoos in ems

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Does for me and thats all that matters.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Its called 31 years of real world experience... thats my source.

As a supposed health care provider are you playing that ignorant? Your service don't require Hep panels periodically? Yeah, tell me all about how well you know your health since Hep C and Non A/B have very little symptoms as it destroys your liver and cells. Two of the best damn professor of emergency medicine got it and did not know it... but alas your a paramedic student and you know by the "real world experience"? Next, you will tell me you know bad smoke from good..... You investigate what on tattoo? You really know that their autoclave really works and the temp was just right?.. yeah sure.

As a health care provider your damn right I ask for a blood test before the naughty occurs... No not being old fashioned or prudish but rather being smart. Sorry, your past can be transmitted to others. Nice way to tell other you love them by giving them a gift that keeps giving.. and giving. Maybe that separates me from others so be it.. and to be truthful never had any problems as they recognize my concern for myself and them....

As professional health care providers we should be enforcing and demonstrating to others safe and the healthy ways, not the contrary

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Maybe that separates me from others so be it..

Plus one! For the entire post, really, but that section particularly!

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The 31 years of experience was clearly in response to the source for the 4% comment.... dont patronize me and try to make it out to be something it isnt.

We were required to have physicals every 2-3 years depending on the age bracket you fell into, so ya... I did get tested.

And if its a reputable shop that has been in business for lots of years and I see them open the single use sterile needle, and the tattoo artist is wearing gloves, I feel pretty safe... their business depends on cleanliness. The tattoo shop I go to even wears face masks when giving piercings... nothing is ever 100% unless you fully abstain... and than life is just a bore.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
. and than life is just a bore.

Just me personally, I rather have a boring life than no life or to later have Kaposi's sarcoma, or have to take interferon injections and have s/s of severe flu for weeks and see your liver slowly disintegrate.. yeah, call me boring..

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
have to take interferon injections and have s/s of severe flu for weeks

my mom had to do those for her hepatitis. Let me tell you not only was it painful and miserable for her, but painful and miserable for the rest of us to watch it.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah that mentality is a boring one.... everyone that gets a tattoo is such a hardcore risk taker.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah that mentality is a boring one.... everyone that gets a tattoo is such a hardcore risk taker.

That isn't the mentality at all. It's the idea that someone who doesn't get tested for things like Hep, HIV, etc. is very foolish, perhaps even scared of what their results would be.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
We were required to have physicals every 2-3 years depending on the age bracket you fell into, so ya... I did get tested.

Read the whole post...

And I believe he was referring to getting tattoos... as in call him boring for not taking the chance of getting hep because of a tattoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
he does get tested!!! as do i... we just dont freak out about everything. be practical.

Sasha

Forum Chief
he does get tested!!! as do i... we just dont freak out about everything. be practical.

Once every two to three years? YEAH that's safe.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
well i have to get tested every year... military

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
We get a complete physical including a full panel of blood work and a stress test which is more than what most FD's and EMS stations require. What are we supposed to do, get tested every week, every 6 months? If there is an exposure while working than obviously you get tested!

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
thats what i was thinking... should i get my blood tested every time i do a smallpox vaccine, or change the dressing? its extremely contagious right?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, you should... everytime you wipe your ***... u better go get tested... after you kiss ur mom... go get tested... u dont know where she has been.... sleep with your wife tonight, go get tested... she might have done her boss before she came home....

very important... every day... get tested like Sasha and Rid. No excuses.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
ahahha.... amen brotha.... dont forget to get tested after going to McDonalds to eat.... cant trust them damn hoodlums with all them tattoos, and piercings...

medic417

The Truth Provider

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, McDonalds... that is the hardcore risk.... If my tattoos don't strike me dead... McDonalds and BK will! either from an employee acquired hepatitis or a massive MI.

I bet Rid and Sasha dont ever eat there...too risky...lol.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Im waiting on someone to come back with a study or a comparison of the cheeseburger to the Big Mac tand how one is safer than the other... and than for someone to say I dont know anything about McDonalds to make those comments.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
o, dont worry someone will pull a statistic out pretty soon.