Tattoos in ems

Sasha

Forum Chief
I would consider someone that would offer me an interview based solely on tattoos/peircings over my resume, job experience and references to be pretty unprofessional themselves. And, fairly narrow-minded.

I don't see it as unprofessional. They are picking people who would project the image they wanted to potray. Within reason, that is their right. Many people, young and old, do not think tattoos are the mark of a professional or responsible individual and that would make them uncomfortable.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Why does everyone keep referring to the "older people".. are they the only age population that matters? Granted, they are a large part of the population we serve but they are not the only ones. Younger ppl can identify more so with ppl who they perceive to be more like them.

Because tattoos were way less common for their generation, and they're not as likely to understand. For them, tattoos were for sailors and criminals, pretty much.

I'd rather avoid scaring some patients than actively identify with others. I'd say it's easier to treat a patient who doesn't identify with you than it is to treat one who's actively scared of you.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Because tattoos were way less common for their generation, and they're not as likely to understand. For them, tattoos were for sailors and criminals, pretty much.

I'd rather avoid scaring some patients than actively identify with others. I'd say it's easier to treat a patient who doesn't identify with you than it is to treat one who's actively scared of you.

Tattoos are a status symbol among young people today. Unfortunately, many of the young patients we see in the hospital today are gang members. When we get a patient in the ED that has been involved in any type of violence, a member of our police foruce will be present and they will also be checking tattoos. We have had people apply for hospital jobs with a gang tattoo and even if that part of their life is a distant past, they carry their story on their body and will be subject to scrutiny.

We have had young people also killed just for wearing a shirt that is the same color of a gang. One would surely see that there is just not concern amongst older people but young also who may have concerns also.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Tattoos are a status symbol among young people today. Unfortunately, many of the young patients we see in the hospital today are gang members. When we get a patient in the ED that has been involved in any type of violence, a member of our police foruce will be present and they will also be checking tattoos. We have had people apply for hospital jobs with a gang tattoo and even if that part of their life is a distant past, they carry their story on their body and will be subject to scrutiny.

We have had young people also killed just for wearing a shirt that is the same color of a gang. One would surely see that there is just not concern amongst older people but young also who may have concerns also.

Don't get me wrong--we have that too. But we also have tons of good kids who get them. It's rebellion against parents, self-expression, and all that good stuff. Since it seems like everyone's doing it, I don't associate them with gangs unless it's a gang symbol or a violent situation.

Meanwhile, our gangs have gotten smarter. I've been hearing more and more reports of gang members who didn't have any, or had something completely innocent-looking to represent their membership instead.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Meanwhile, our gangs have gotten smarter. I've been hearing more and more reports of gang members who didn't have any, or had something completely innocent-looking to represent their membership instead.

And that makes it every more dangerous. Read a little about the number of kids killed due to mistaken identity. Be glad you don't live in a city or work in a busy ED where you will see patients from many parts of that city become a patient or fatality due to gang violence. In the 30 years I've worked as a Paramedic (and RRT), I can't even begin to tell you the number of dead gang members or mistaken gang members under the age of 18 I have seen over the years.

I can easily see how some would associate the worst with tattoos. But even from a medical standpoint, I am often wondering if the person with many tattoos has had a Hepatitis panel ran. That goes for medical professionals and patients.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Tattoos are just for expression and art. Yes, a small minority may get ink to identify with a particular gang... but that is the minority in major cities were gangs are a problem.

Like I have said before... I have never received any negative remarks and have always received verbal compliments from my patients in the ED and in the field. Most of these were older patient from 60's - 80's. No patient was ever scared or anxious cause they saw 3 nautical stars or a tattoo that said Music all nicely done on my arms. But than I am always professional and polite so that may have had something to do with it to.

Until I see first hand what you guys are saying about tattoos instilling fear and having patients think less of tatted providers, Im not gonna buy it in the least. Especially since I have tattoos and have experienced the exact opposite reaction many times over.

When people start to develop experiences that over shadow what they always thought to be true, they will start to change their mind and perception in a positive manner. Change in society takes a long time and if we all play follow the leader and maintain the status quo, that change will never occur and negative perceptions will always remain. To me that is a dead society.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Hepatitis panel because of a tattoo??? you always like to go deep dont you... never keep it simple. If ppl with tattoos should get hepatitis panels then everyone who is having sex needs to get tested for Hep, HIV, and the many others!

Sasha

Forum Chief
If ppl with tattoos should get hepatitis panels then everyone who is having sex needs to get tested for Hep, HIV, and the many others!

Those who are sexually active should get tested for STDs regularly. Don't be stupid just because you think it's clean.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hepatitis panel because of a tattoo??? you always like to go deep dont you... never keep it simple. If ppl with tattoos should get hepatitis panels then everyone who is having sex needs to get tested for Hep, HIV, and the many others!

If multiple partners by either partner yes they do.

I am aware of many unlicensed individuals doing tats on the cheap. They do quality work but may be skipping certain precautions taken by others. And even among licensed not that uncommon for them to get shut down for unclean practices.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Regardless of multiple partners... it only takes one right? That new bf or gf just may be the infected one... and if your working in healthcare after the first time you better get tested... thats just silly as is the hep panel for tattooed ppl.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Regardless of multiple partners... it only takes one right? That new bf or gf just may be the infected one... and if your working in healthcare after the first time you better get tested... thats just silly as is the hep panel for tattooed ppl.

Why? Needles are a common mode of transmission for hep.. and what do tattoos use? Needles.

It only takes ONE dirty needle to change your life. It is suspected my mom got hep C off of some pedicure instrument years and years ago. (Yes, I get tested regularly for multiple reasons, but she is one of them.)

Hep C and other similar diseases should not be taken lightly, and yes, sexually active (even people who claim to be mutually exclusive) and health care providers should be tested regularly. You want to catch it early, before you're in liver failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Because that is called PARANOID. When I get ink, I investigate the shop and make sure they have a good reputation, have an autoclave, and I insist that I see them open the sterile needles they are going to use on me.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Nope in this day and age you should require your sex partners to pass a health screening prior to having fun. If not don't expect the government to pay for the years of medical care because you thought with the dipstick rather than using the brain.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Because that is called PARANOID. When I get ink, I investigate the shop and make sure they have a good reputation, have an autoclave, and I insist that I see them open the sterile needles they are going to use on me.

So? I'd rather be paranoid and clean then relaxed and infected.

Do you get how horrible hepatitis C is? It is not a pretty death.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
lol... ppl make me laugh sometimes... you can be clean and relaxed without being paranoid by using the commonsense I aforementioned above.

Sasha

Forum Chief
lol... ppl make me laugh sometimes... you can be clean and relaxed without being paranoid by using the commonsense I aforementioned above.

Or you can be relaxed, miss something, and end up yellow and dying.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So many things sound good in principle... but practicallity is so different.

What are you talking about? It isn't practical to go take a blood test once a year?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
A health screening of your bf or gf before sex? A hep test after getting a tattoo?

What's next, a screening for MI after every Big Mac and Large fries?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, they should get tested regularly.