Tattoo Hatred

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
lqfjsee.jpg

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that I have time to read your gibberish, thanks for associating me with having neck tattoos because my opinion is tattoos aren't for thugs only @SandpitMedic. Keep running your mouth and sounding like a fool. If you didn't get your rocks off acting like you do on here, then you'd understand that I am all for tattoos not being visible in EMS, but I'm also not against conservative and well done tattoos on the arm being seen. That's not for me to decide, though, is it?

Anyways, I could have a better argument with a monkey. At least they aren't closed-minded.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Aw, someone is all butt hurt because other people think that his choices aren't free from consequences.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lol. That made me chuckle. Gibberish mouth running with fools and monkeys. Cute.

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates

Try not to get this thread closed too with your bad attitude, @teedubbyaw, ey bud. This is a great topic and I'd like to see more of what our peers think about it.

There's no need to get all defensive.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
IMO, this business is largely a customer service driven business. Just like if people think you are having an attitude with them, they won't like you, some people are pre-disposed against tattoos. Personally, I have nothing against tattoos (not that I have any myself), but I believe that they should be covered in the workplace. I really don't think there is any need/benefit to not covering your tattoos when attempting to deliver care to someone who needs to trust you, but can't because of stereotypes. Even though we don't like to admit it, we all profile and stereotype at first impression. I want mine, and the people working for my company, to have the best possible first impression.

Rin

Forum Captain
I disagree that first impressions with patients are so important that we should discriminate against providers' personal appearance when hiring (grooming and hygiene not withstanding).

Some patients are not filled with confidence upon seeing a feminine woman arrive to help them. Send a not-so-feminine woman and now they're uncomfortable with the possible homosexual that's about to touch them. Some patients are uncomfortable with people of color. Others worry if their provider looks too young.

Yet...women, homosexuals, people of color, and young people in this profession manage to do their jobs every day. Yes, a patient may view you negatively at first sight, but it's up to the provider to assuage the patient's misgivings through confidence, competence, and bedside manner.

If you possess those things, I don't think tattoos are an insurmountable hurtle any more than being female, not white, homosexual, young, or all of the above.

Without those things, your patient's impression of you won't be positive for long, even if you look like Captain America.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I disagree that first impressions with patients are so important that we should discriminate against providers' personal appearance when hiring (grooming and hygiene not withstanding).

Some patients are not filled with confidence upon seeing a feminine woman arrive to help them. Send a not-so-feminine woman and now they're uncomfortable with the possible homosexual that's about to touch them. Some patients are uncomfortable with people of color. Others worry if their provider looks too young.

Yet...women, homosexuals, people of color, and young people in this profession manage to do their jobs every day. Yes, a patient may view you negatively at first sight, but it's up to the provider to assuage the patient's misgivings through confidence, competence, and bedside manner.

If you possess those things, I don't think tattoos are an insurmountable hurtle any more than being female, not white, homosexual, young, or all of the above.

Without those things, your patient's impression of you won't be positive for long, even if you look like Captain America.
Very well said.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want your pt's trust, then do your job well and know what you are talking about. Everyone has opinions, everyone also has something else.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

I like that. I do, but, the things you mentioned are not choices you make. Each and every one of those things are the way you were born (including homosexuality if you believe what the gay rights folks have to say about it.) You can't choose to be a man or be black; you just are.

You can choose exactly what tattoos you get and where you get them.

Just saying...

Yayyy diversity... o_O

Again, I'm not anti-tattoo, I am pro-professionalism. It all depends on where and what it is.

Rin

Forum Captain
I like that. I do, but, the things you mentioned are not choices you make. Each and every one of those things are the way you were born (including homosexuality if you believe what the gay rights folks have to say about it.) You can't choose to be a man or be black; you just are.

You can choose exactly what tattoos you get and where you get them.

Just saying...

Yayyy diversity... o_O

Again, I'm not anti-tattoo, I am pro-professionalism. It all depends on where and what it is.

I thought the issue was concern for a provider's appearance negatively impacting how the patient views the crew, not punishing people for what you perceive to be their poor choices.

Not sure what you mean by "Yayyy diversity... o_O "

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I mean we live in a world of accepting and being diverse... In terms of race, religion, creed, etc.

Not tacky tattooing.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates

Try not to get this thread closed too with your bad attitude, @teedubbyaw, ey bud. This is a great topic and I'd like to see more of what our peers think about it.

There's no need to get all defensive.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423225750.259455.jpg

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Where in MA are you that worried about tattoos? lol
the Puritan/Republican part :/

@Rin - I like your post, what do you think about rainbow colored hair on an EMS professional? Or old ratty shirts? Im just wondering where we would draw the line. For me it is easier to just set the bar high and not allow anything beyond "normal" (i quoted that because I don't want to start a whole new argument about what normal means, you know what I am talking about)

OP
OP
BlueJayMedic

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I don't feel as if Personal hygiene has anything to do with tattoos. Ratty uniforms, untucked or dirty or not polished boots or any of that is not an appropriate comparison to someone with tattoos though right. A dirty ratted uniform is in a different category. I would lump rainbow coloured hair in with extreme facial piercings (see above pictures) and facial or inappropriate tattoos. Regular facial piercings pose a safety risk and that's a different topic also.

Reactions: Rin

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is this such an arguement? Really, it's an easy concept to understand.

Personally, the simple fact that someone has tattoos, be it full sleeves, neck tats, or ones on the backs of their hands doesn't bother me; if anything does, it's the content of the tattoos not the fact that they are there. I'd bet that in 20 years there will be a large majority of people who feel the same way.

But it's not 20 years later yet. It's today.

Today there is a large segment of the population, likely the majority, that will automatically view someone who has tattoos as a lower quality of individual and/or criminal/dirtbag. There is a large segment of the population that just finds tattoos distasteful.

You personally may feel the same as I do, but you'd be in the minority, and your beliefs aren't the one's that matter right now. What matters right now, in an industry like ours, is keeping the confidence and faith of the public at large. And I bet you know what that means when it comes to tattoos.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with tasteful tattoos. Offensive, gang related, etc. would be a no for me. Some patients are going to judge and be taken aback by tattoos. Just the way it is. If one is professional and shows the patient immediately that they know what they are doing and can help the patient.....save their life, even, in a serious situation.....I'm sure most patients will no longer "see" the tat/s.

On a professional level, some employers are not going to like it . Again, just the way it is. If you have a tat, be prepared to cover it if your employer wants that.

This is one of those subjects that will never get full agreement from everyone. I think at this point we should agree to disagree and just hold hands and sing Kumbaya or something.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I think at this point we should agree to disagree and just hold hands and sing Kumbaya or something.

This is off the subject.

However, human evolution and history are rife with conflict. Humanity is fraught with civilizations annilihating one another since the dawn of time. We can be civilized for a little while, until we become the conquered or conquerors.
It is simple - eventually someone has to win.