Sunstar paramedics in FL

Tyler21

Forum Probie
Does anyone know What promotions you can get as a paramedic for sunstar in Largo, FL and what are the requirements/salary for those positions? Thanks

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you checked their website? I spoke with a supervisor years and years ago at a conference once about their operation. Starting salaries for medics were like 14-16.00 an hour. I believe they have regular duty supervisors and a tactical medic program, and also do CCT IFT for All Children's Hospital. Dual medics on a unit I believe. High volume and high turnover is what I have heard. That's about all I know.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
High volume and high turnover is what I have heard. That's about all I know.
So pretty much a typical branch of ETMC? LOL. I worked for another one of their branches and did not like it. You might want to check out their other operations online to get a better idea of how they operate. They are also known as ETMC, Paramedics Plus, Three River Ambulance Authority (TRAA), and you are already aware of Sunstar. They used to be EMSA in Oklahoma, but I believe they lost that contract to AMR and I think AMR still operating it under the same name as EMSA. Search for those to see how they are. Operation wasn't good. Very micromanaged and kind of over the top or a bit overdone methods to do things. Pay was surprisingly very low even for my area. As a fake step 1 paramedic, I made the same as I did as a fake step 1 EMT in basically the same area. This was at another one of their operations so maybe it is not true for them, but that's all I can really pass on to you. The only thing that I liked about the operation was that they were very clinically focused, but I don't felt like that passed on well to the field crews since the people I interacted with while I was there totally soaked up that whole clinically focus stuff "we are the best of the best of the best, sir!" sorta deal,

but then having similar protocols to adjacent counties, say the same old EMS aphorisms everyone else say, etc. I was not impressed, which I guess don't matter since I am new fake medic with a chip on his shoulder that doesn't know anything about cardizem. I am clearly a know it all (except for cardizem related info) and not accepting of new information. Oh, I am a cook book medic too.

Last edited:

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Have you checked their website? I spoke with a supervisor years and years ago at a conference once about their operation. Starting salaries for medics were like 14-16.00 an hour. I believe they have regular duty supervisors and a tactical medic program, and also do CCT IFT for All Children's Hospital. Dual medics on a unit I believe. High volume and high turnover is what I have heard. That's about all I know.
They increased the Medic pay from $14 to $15 when I left there about a year and a half ago, it took them the better part of a decade to increase the pay a dollar an hour so it's probably a safe bet that is the current starting wage. Plus I believe they give another 70 cents if you've been in the field for over a year.

Sunstar isn't the worst out there but it definitely has a lot of room for improvement, even by standards of typical private EMS. The pay is ridiculously low for how hard you run, you're running practically the entire shift but on the flip side only 10-20% of their calls are interfaculty so you get plenty of 911 if you're looking for experience.

The Supervisors/Assistant Supervisors on the other hand make good money but they're extremely difficult to get promoted to. It's going to take more than a few years of service and a decent standing within the company to have a realistic shot at getting promoted.

Edit- And no, they don't run double Medic. It's an EMT and a Medic on each truck.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
They have constant recruitment so for giggles I applied. I sent them my full resume....

They told me "No thanks"...LOL!

They would not even respond after I received this one liner from their recruitment officer cause I wrote back and asked why I cannot even have an interview with all their constant advertising. I mean I am more than qualified...which may have been the problem. :)

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone work for Sunstar that I could private message and get more information? I am currently looking into them.