Stuff you are just sick and tired of reading and hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Many sayings and truisms we hear and spread are wrong or oversimplified but held up as fundamental truths. Some started as training gimmicks for entry level folks or laypersons. Some made sense when and where transport times were measured in days and modern communications and research were not in place yet. And some....I just can't figure out where they started (facepalm/sigh).

Let me toss out a few and see if others can cite more, or know their origins.

1. "If you sprain or break your ankle, don't remove the shoe or you won't get it back on". (Overheard in a suburban setting).
2. "You have to keep a head injury patient awake or they die". (Nurse fresh in USA from a third world country).
3. "A hospital can't do any more for a pulseless patient than we can do in our ambulance". (Wonder where I've read that before).

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
"A helicopter is faster at getting a patient to the hospital than a ground ambulance".
"HEMS crews can do more for their patient on the way to the hospital than we can do while en route".
"You have to wear gloves with all patient contacts."

Joe

Forum Captain
As I sit here and post all that comes to mind is im so tired of hearing party rock anthem on the radio!

Oh and im tired of hearing "unit 115, code 1 code 3"

Joe

Forum Captain
As I sit here and post all that comes to mind is im so tired of hearing party rock anthem on the radio!

Oh and im tired of hearing "unit 115, code 1 code 3"

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

3. "A hospital can't do any more for a pulseless patient than we can do in our ambulance". (Wonder where I've read that before).

in most situations this is true, which is why we do not transport dead people. the exception being peds, for some reason if under 12 we still transport. I know you work as an RN now, but alot has changed in the last 6 years that I have been in EMS.

4. "ohh, don't worry 'bout him, he just fell out, he'll get up in a minute."

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I'm not responding, just adding.

"If I'd been wearing my seatbelt I'd be dead".

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"I'm in an ambulance why aren't you using the lights and sirens?!"

In EMT classes "C-spine every trauma patient"

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Basic courses that place an emphasis on needing ALS. Yes there is a time and place that ALS should be called for but how about we teach to treat your patient first and be aware of your additional resources

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

"Don't swim within an hour of eating"

Or, "I got stuck with a rusty nail" (fear of tetanus).

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I just finished teaching a week of VERY basic ventilator class. Here's the ones I heard over, and over, and over...

"Just match what the hospital has"

"The vent shoots air down the circuit to calibrate"

"You don't really need a vent, just BVM them"

"2mgs of morphine is enough"

"Just use a dial-a-flow"

Simusid

Forum Captain

2. "You have to keep a head injury patient awake or they die". (Nurse fresh in USA from a third world country).

I've heard 3 more than a few times. I've been skeptical about it because I'm pretty sure that the ER has more than just manual compressions/lucas, a 12 lead (plus interpretive skills), an intubation kit/BVM, and a simple drug box. It seems like a pretty simple claim that can be backed up with facts and data.

I've heard a version of 2 that is less about "they WILL die" and more about "you should try to keep them alert and talking". My interpretation was that an "AV" patient is generally better than a "PU" patient.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
'Chest pain? Give nitrates!

'You can never go wrong if you board and collar every MVC patient.

'Don't worry about pain relief, our transport times are short and the oxygen will help a little'

'We are volunteers, why should we need to know all this?'

'At an MVC, always pull over and assist when off duty - you have legal / moral / ethical / contractual / spiritual obligation to'.

'You should always go lights and sirens to the hospital if there is ALS is on board'

'High flow oxygen every time. It's free - use it.'

'Paramedics save lives...'(etc)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've heard a version of 2 that is less about "they WILL die" and more about "you should try to keep them alert and talking". My interpretation was that an "AV" patient is generally better than a "PU" patient.

In the vast majority of medical cardiac arrest, what you get from a Paramedic is what you'll get from a hospital team. Trauma arrests are where the true difference is, and that's really only really for penetrating trauma. Blunt trauma just needs to be left where they lay.

Oh...

"The patient defines the emergency"
"...EMTs save Paramedics"

Both are so silly, so wrong, and often perpetuated by newer people, however when I hear a supposedly 'experienced' provider say it, I want to punch a baby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
" I need an ambulance"

LuvGlock

Forum Crew Member
"I didn't take any drugs!"

"I wasn't drinking!"

"I don't know how that happened!"

"See, we left the bar, and......"

Sasha

Forum Chief
" I'm not normally on this hall"
"I just got here"
"This is my first time with the patient"
"ive been on vacation"

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Veneficus

Forum Chief
"I just got here"

I always love to see the time stamp on this.

Especially when they just got there at like 1:47AM A normal time for a shift change.

Status
Not open for further replies.