Students and other EMT`s on Ride Alongs?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The layout for our Ferno stretchers is very similar, but to raise/lower the wheels, for example, you don't pull the handle up, you pull it to the left. In addition, unlocking it to remove it from the bus, you push in, rather than moving the arm to the left like I did with the Strykers. It's these little things that can ruin a student's entire day when they think they know how to do something and then sit there fighting with the stretcher.
I guess it greatly depends on the model used. The Strykers at my old companies had undercarriage releases that were pulled to the side (squeezed) and ambulance mounts that were released by pushing on the bar, not lifting.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
When I was a student;

One service would let me do everything (- the written report) within the scope I was training for once the team I was with was comfortable (normally after the 1st or 2nd call).

Another service would let me do everything (- the written report) but load/unload into the ambulance (onto the cot sure, but not the ambulance).

After a few calls, I was expected to run the call and treat it as my own (- the written report). These services treated student ridealongs similiar to their own employees going through FTR training and had good FTOs.

Neither service does civilian ridealong due to liability (students had insurance through their school).

Anjel

Forum Angel
My school worked with the two ambulance companies in our county. One let me do whatever I wanted and told me I could try to start ivs they wouldn't tell. Lol (I passed on that)

The other I could take as much control as I wanted except I couldn't load and unload a patient on the stretcher. I think they had a student dump a patient or something. But I enjoyed both. And just applied to both.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I really wished that patient lifting and handling were a part of my clinicals. I especially wished it was allowed when I was paired with a double female crew and took some flak from some FireMedics for being "lazy" and not helping my crew lift.

I've also been working for a non-transport service for a year now, so I still have no experience in using a cot at all, I wonder how that will play out when I apply to some privates for the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
Lifting and moving PT's should be a part of the clinical experience, one of the first things I do with new students is to go over the ambulance and practice loading and unloading the stretcher. I generally expect medic students to have some knowledge ot stretcher operations, but Basic students we will start with all the bascis of lifting, moving PT's and stretcher operations, it's all part of the job.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
Part of it, yes... but not a very big part of it.

Especially considering many places wont let students handle the cots when a patient is on it.
We are not allowed to even touch a loaded stretcher. I am not sure about scoops or backboards, but I will check. We are allowed to do Vital signs, tractions splinting, basic airway management, spinal motion restriction, Albuterol assist, CPR, bandaging/spinting, glucometry, ASA/NTG assist, and EPI Pens. At the Paramedics discretion, of course.

DFW333

Forum Probie
I always had my riders do written PCRs. And I did one to. Why not? It's just one more form. Write "EMT Student" across the top of his, clip em together and turn them both in. Then they take their pink copy for proof of the patient contact required by the school.

As for services that dont allow students to load cots because they had a patient dropped by a student once, what do they do when one of their EMTs drops a patient? I can see that now: "Im sorry ma'am, we have to wait for XVille ambulance to get here to load your husband into the ambulance for us, we're not allowed to do that any more." :p

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
I'm really used to it we have civilian, EMT students, Paramedic interns, and new volunteer EMT's all the time. It's almost to the point where we expect there to be a 3rd on all of our rigs at any given time.

For students in particular, with frequent fliers or non-emergent patients I will let them take lead on scene and in the back with the patient. Also with students I make it a point to pressure them into making at least one call report to the hospital during their shift.

clibb

Forum Captain
We are not allowed to even touch a loaded stretcher. I am not sure about scoops or backboards, but I will check. We are allowed to do Vital signs, tractions splinting, basic airway management, spinal motion restriction, Albuterol assist, CPR, bandaging/spinting, glucometry, ASA/NTG assist, and EPI Pens. At the Paramedics discretion, of course.

Glucometry without an IV-certification? Is that on Paramedic orders?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

Using a glucometer is a basic skill here in Michigan. What state are you in, that it's required to have an IV Certification to use a glucometer in the field? California?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Using a glucometer is a basic skill here in Michigan. What state are you in, that it's required to have an IV Certification to use a glucometer in the field? California?

I had a medic tell me I couldn't use the glucometer when I asked for it for a patient we were working on. I asked why? And he said because he didn't remember learning it as a basic.

But yea Michigan's basics can do it. Contrary to some people's memory.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
On my first ride along my medic took me out and showed me how to load a stretcher back into the ambulance by myself. He told me that I have learned 90% of what I need to know. He would have me stay with the patient until it was time to leave. And becuase of that I was able to see a lot of cool stuff. We had a full arrest and it was a cool experience to be in the trauma bay as the doctor worked. Earlier that night my medic told me to check out the other room becuase there was a chest crack going on.

I had another medic...Paragod that would make me go out and clean the cot and load it up once we transferred the patient to the hospital bed. I learned very little from her, other than... well I learned what adenocard was becuase she always talked about the cool stuff she knew.

When I have a 3rd rider, I always get the cot and clean it up and let the student stay with the patient. I also try and keep the third rider talking so they aren't just staring out hte back of an ambulance. Basically I try and use the tactics of my favorite medics from when i was in school.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Also with students I make it a point to pressure them into making at least one call report to the hospital during their shift.

THat was the most nerve racking thing I ever did. Luckily the medic I was with was a funny guy. I said to him "I don't want to sound stupid if I call in and say something wrong". He said to me "You'll be talking to a nurse. THey already think your stupid so don't worry. The worst you can do is impress them". Unfortunately for that call I didn't know what ETOH was and said the patient had alcohol on his breath.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When our Training Institute EMT Students ride with us on their required shifts, they can do anything they are comfortable doing, under supervision of crew chief.

When our members who are EMT Students or non-primary EMT's ride with us, they can preform whatever skills they are trained and comfortable doing, under the direct supervision of a crew chief.

When we have non-member, non-student riders, they GENERALLY don't do anything other than observe... But there are exceptions to every rule.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a medic tell me I couldn't use the glucometer when I asked for it for a patient we were working on. I asked why? And he said because he didn't remember learning it as a basic.

But yea Michigan's basics can do it. Contrary to some people's memory.

lol are you serious> the medic told you not to take his BSL/BGL

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EMT-Bs here in TX and back in NM can both take CBGs without an extra certification. CO is a very odd state due to the EMT-B IV farce they have.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

He's in CO. CO has EMT-Bs (which can do almost nothing) and they can take an EKG or IV certification course (or both). The IV cert lets them initiate IVs, push NS/LR, D50, Narcan, take CBG, and a few other things.
I laughed when I first moved there and found out what I could do as an EMT-B IV cause it was a narrower scope for the most part than I had as a NM EMT-B. But since CO uses I/99, I was stuck at being just a B-IV while I was tehre.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And sorry for the triple post, but here's back OT as to what the OP asked. I have had students on my bus a time or two, and after they demonstrate they know what they're doing, I will allow them to work to the full scope of the level they're training for. But, and I've done this, if they keep screwing up, will not listen to advice, don't know their stuff, or just generally act like a retard, I'll make them sit in the corner and only let them watch.

lilchic

Forum Ride Along
ride alongs

Thanks all that info is helpful..I was a nurse's aide for a couple of years and have my EMT-B license but never got a job. I need to re learn my skills and it seems that would help me get my confidence back and give me some experience. I am also going to try and and volunteer at the hospital? I have 2 days off a week..I figure I could do one shift at both places??