Stethoscopes....

omak42

Forum Crew Member
So I just lost my Magna Fortis Metacardia and purchased another one.....however in looking for their contact number I came across quite a few threads from a couple years ago on peoples thoughts about stethoscopes. So I figured I would ask.....What do people out there think of Magna Fortis (seems to only be somewhat popular in EMS and unknown in other fields), and what do people think is the best stethoscope to get?

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a Littmann Master Cardiology.

Just go ahead and make the Littmann switch. They have several different models, at different price points. All are superior in acoustical ability.

OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
well heres my thing.....im a poor medic student who is getting married soon, so that means not a whole lot of money to play with.....i had a magna fortis and was fairly pleased with it. i would say maybe a small step lower than littman quality, not worth mentioning tho. beyond that my training officer has an educational discount with magna fortis, so i got a cardiology stethoscope for $95....cheaper than a littman cardiology regardless of where you buy it

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I carry a Littmann Master Cardiology.

Just go ahead and make the Littmann switch. They have several different models, at different price points. All are superior in acoustical ability.

I have the cardiology III and really like it. I have also seen quite a few master classic IIs being used and some littman lightweight s.e.'s

I do like the master classic II in all black, very sharp. But I already have my blue cardiology III which is over qualified, so I'm set.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Its all a matter of personal prefference. There are people on this site that will use the size of their stethoscope to compare to the size of their.... wll you know where this is going.

In the long run whatever works for you. I prefer littmann, but thats not to say anything for anyone else other than me.

If you can hear in the back of the truck, it fits your budget, and you like it... That is truly the mark of quality.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
and let the littmann fanboy sponsorship begin...

try playing around/testing with some other peoples scopes in your service and class. It is all personal preference so it doesnt really matter what people here say much.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
i agree. just curious to know what people think and like.....im sure some day ill make the switch to littman...i thought about it this go around. just opted out for now

trevor1189

Forum Captain

trevor1189

Forum Captain
and let the littmann fanboy sponsorship begin...

Instead of starting something why not just advise the OP as to what you like? After all this thread is asking for opinions.

Sasha

Forum Chief

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Instead of starting something why not just advise the OP as to what you like? After all this thread is asking for opinions.

i did edit it before you posted but yeh... "try playing around/testing with some other peoples scopes in your service and class. It is all personal preference so it doesnt really matter what people here say much."

and im not starting anything I have a littmann too

look at DRG they have pretty cool scopes with comparable acoustics and a bit cheaper. They also come with scope covers which is a plus.

Sasha

Forum Chief
well heres my thing.....im a poor medic student who is getting married soon, so that means not a whole lot of money to play with.....i had a magna fortis and was fairly pleased with it. i would say maybe a small step lower than littman quality, not worth mentioning tho. beyond that my training officer has an educational discount with magna fortis, so i got a cardiology stethoscope for $95....cheaper than a littman cardiology regardless of where you buy it

Kila scopes have good acoustics and are much cheaper than Littmann's. I very recently bought a bright orange one. It's awesome.

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
I bought myself a master classic II in all black when I finished medic school, and my partner bought me a cardiology III when I got my RN. But the old rule always applies -- it's not just what you have, it's how you use it. *cough* Seriously, I just took this seminar: http://www.stethoscopeskills.com -- I recommend it. She travels all over the place.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
+1

If you ever have an opportunity to take a stethoscopy seminar, I would do it.

I have been to a couple, and learned some really cool stuff.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Kila scopes have good acoustics and are much cheaper than Littmann's. I very recently bought a bright orange one. It's awesome.

Yup I have two Kilas excellent sound. Nice heavy tubing minimizes outside noise.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, so I feel I am finally ready to make a stethoscope recommendation. There is nothing sillier than seeing an EMT student or even a medic student with a master cardiology stethoscope. I see very few Cardiology attendings with these. I try not to judge people based on silly criteria, but this is just over the top. However, if you value yourself and your profession, you should obtain at least a decent stethoscope. The qualities you are looking for are lightweight and not too expensive. Your going to get to a point with your cardiology steth that it is just too heavy and annoying around your neck. Your also going to lose it eventually. A model that fits this criteria, and is good enough for all a EMT, Paramedic, or most MD's needs is the Littman Classic II. Lightweight, sexy, and not over the top.

mediawebserver

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
actually the reason i got a cardiology scope is cause they are a lot more insulated then any other types. besides i like to be prepared for ANYTHING that I will come across and yes as a medic, or even a medic student, sometimes you have to listen to heart tones....and wait....isnt that cardiac???? hmmmmm cardiac.....cardiology....i see a coralation there. so dont sit there and call something silly when you dont experience it. i have had uses for my cardiology scope as an emt-b. and i can take the weight....never gotten in my way in the two years that i had it