Stethoscopes....

OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
"The qualities you are looking for are lightweight and not too expensive"

those may be the qualities YOU are looking for...I really dont care about weight....just price and performance

OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
im sure there will come a day you feel differently

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps one day, later on in my medical career. But for now, I don't do anything that I need anything more.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
actually the reason i got a cardiology scope is cause they are a lot more insulated then any other types. besides i like to be prepared for ANYTHING that I will come across and yes as a medic, or even a medic student, sometimes you have to listen to heart tones....and wait....isnt that cardiac???? hmmmmm cardiac.....cardiology....i see a coralation there. so dont sit there and call something silly when you dont experience it. i have had uses for my cardiology scope as an emt-b. and i can take the weight....never gotten in my way in the two years that i had it

do you like diagnose heart murmurs in the field or something?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
just interested in opinions not arguments....
What was wrong with the opinions you read in all the other stethoscope threads you say you found here? Did you think the opinions had changed since this was last asked, just a couple weeks ago? Did you happen to notice that those discussions usually take place in the proper forum, and not the EMS Talk forum?

OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
i dont settle with just knowing the basics as a medic....i prefer to go above and beyond whats expected of me. which is why i prefer to have the most "state of the art" (so to speak) equipment available to me. if that seems to be over the top to you so be it....

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont settle with just knowing the basics as a medic....i prefer to go above and beyond whats expected of me. which is why i prefer to have the most "state of the art" (so to speak) equipment available to me. if that seems to be over the top to you so be it....

That cardiology scope is not going to make up for the lack of cardiac auscultation skills that most paramedics and paramedic educators possess. That cardiology scope is not going to help you go above and beyond. It will not even help you hear heart sounds better, because it is designed to be used by people who have an incredible ear for heart sounds, which you do not. The only man I have ever known who could probably make use of a cardiology stethoscope was my pediatric cardiologist. He is an attending at UCLA in peds and ped cards, and was one of the first pediatric cardiologists in Los Angeles. He uses a Sprague. Yet, he diagnoses VSDs, valve disorders, etc, with uncanny precision and accuracy by auscultation, only to be confirmed later on echocardiography. All his residents with their 100 dollar cardiology stethoscopes still rely on that sonogram to make their diagnoses for them because they lack 45 years of listening to healthy and sick hearts that this man has. This os a forum of ideas and opinions, and everyone is going to be able to post what they want, if you do not like it and have nothing constructive to say (like proof that a cardiology stethoscope positively affects the outcomes for EMS patients), than you can just ignore them.

I may only be a paramedic student here on this forum, but I have five years of healthcare experience in an internal medicine clinic where I have learned a lot about the day to day practice of real medicine. I am telling you that all of my experiences tell me that a cards scope is not needed for prehospital care or even most MDs. I do not care if you decide to use one or not. I could not care less. But if you post something here, expect it to be read and judged by your peers. Iif you do want here other opinions, than this forum is not for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
and i can care less if you judge me or not.....i have found what works for me and i am going to stick with it regardless of what anyone says. you may not find use with it but from my experience it is built with better equipment and yes it allows you to hear things a little better. as far as me reading past posts...i never said that they were on here...and i do believe that stethoscopes are used in EMS therefore it is a perfect topic on an EMS forum website regardless of where it is. think what you want of me because i like to have better equipment then the cheapest stethscope i can find....and tho it may be more than i need i got it at an incredible price and being that someday i am going to pursue a career in cardiology seems like a fitting instrument to me

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
and i can care less if you judge me or not.....i have found what works for me and i am going to stick with it regardless of what anyone says. you may not find use with it but from my experience it is built with better equipment and yes it allows you to hear things a little better. as far as me reading past posts...i never said that they were on here...and i do believe that stethoscopes are used in EMS therefore it is a perfect topic on an EMS forum website regardless of where it is. think what you want of me because i like to have better equipment then the cheapest stethscope i can find....and tho it may be more than i need i got it at an incredible price and being that someday i am going to pursue a career in cardiology seems like a fitting instrument to me

I told you I am not going to judge you by the stethoscope you use. I also told you not to take what I say and apply it to yourself. I offered my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. My point was, on this forum, your going to find opinions that you do not agree with. Do not take them personally, but try to learn from them with an open mind.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
i have found what works for me and i am going to stick with it regardless of what anyone says.
Then why are you wasting our time asking for opinions? :unsure:

A140160

Forum Probie
If your so set on this cardiology steth, why did you even start this thread? If it helps, I use a 15 dollar generic scope, and it gets the job done.

OP
OP
O

omak42

Forum Crew Member
i wanted to know peoples opinions on the different brands and what they used.....not to use for my shopping endeavors but just to know what people thought. if you read my first thread you would have seen that i said i already bought another one.

daedulus:
I am aware that peoples opinions will differ from my own and I respect that....we are all different thats why we talk to each other. I just took your original post as almost a personal attack on me....simple misunderstanding. Yes I agree with the part that a cardiology steth is more than anyone in this field needs....however from my experience they do get a little bit better quality and given where I work and the situations I have to deal with I feel that quality adds to my ability to hear certain things a little bit better. Sorry for the misunderstanding

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
i wanted to know peoples opinions on the different brands and what they used.....not to use for my shopping endeavors but just to know what people thought. if you read my first thread you would have seen that i said i already bought another one.

daedulus:
I am aware that peoples opinions will differ from my own and I respect that....we are all different thats why we talk to each other. I just took your original post as almost a personal attack on me....simple misunderstanding. Yes I agree with the part that a cardiology steth is more than anyone in this field needs....however from my experience they do get a little bit better quality and given where I work and the situations I have to deal with I feel that quality adds to my ability to hear certain things a little bit better. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Thats perfect. You owe no one any explanation on why you use a particular piece of equipment. I admire your drive to be the best.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
I may only be a paramedic student here on this forum, but I have five years of healthcare experience in an internal medicine clinic where I have learned a lot about the day to day practice of real medicine. QUOTE]

So EMS is fake medicine?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief