Stethoscope - The Mega Thread

admemt1982

Forum Probie
littman master cardio... dont leave home without it. i started with a cardio III but its a pretty rare day that i get a pedi and i didnt like the ambient noise.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
littman master cardio... dont leave home without it. i started with a cardio III but its a pretty rare day that i get a pedi and i didnt like the ambient noise.

No offense to the poster, as you're certainly not the first to mention this idea, but can we get a giant flashing disclaimer posted somewhere that the bell is not for peds? This has become kind of a pet-peeve of mine. Real peds scopes have their own (smaller) bell AND diaphragm. Yeah, it generally works but that's not what it's intended to do. Near as I can tell most bells are for the 20-100Hz range, and the diaphragm is designed for 100Hz-1MHz. The overlap is probably greater than that, but why insist on using the wrong tool for the job? Again, I'm no cardio expert (that would be my old man), but I seem to recall that for our job, we are mainly looking at like 300-500Hz.

/end rant

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
No offense to the poster, as you're certainly not the first to mention this idea, but can we get a giant flashing disclaimer posted somewhere that the bell is not for peds? This has become kind of a pet-peeve of mine. Real peds scopes have their own (smaller) bell AND diaphragm. Yeah, it generally works but that's not what it's intended to do. Near as I can tell most bells are for the 20-100Hz range, and the diaphragm is designed for 100Hz-1MHz. The overlap is probably greater than that, but why insist on using the wrong tool for the job? Again, I'm no cardio expert (that would be my old man), but I seem to recall that for our job, we are mainly looking at like 300-500Hz.

/end rant

Quote from 3M website: The large side can be used for adult patients, while the small side is especially useful for pediatric or thin patients, around bandages, and for carotid assessment.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...E3E02LECIE20KFI1_nid=GS14QYZ9L3beD77LGQCVJWgl

It seems as though it can be used as a ped side.

Last edited by a moderator:

admemt1982

Forum Probie

/end rant

on the same token to what rwik just said i sure as heck dont see enough pedis to carry two scopes. im well aware there are specific pediatric scopes. ive even used one but they are made more for infants and small peds. the small diaphragm on the cardio III is perfect for peds 2 and up. we have infant scopes in our broselow bags for peds under 2 y/o

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Quote from 3M website: The large side can be used for adult patients, while the small side is especially useful for pediatric or thin patients, around bandages, and for carotid assessment.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...E3E02LECIE20KFI1_nid=GS14QYZ9L3beD77LGQCVJWgl

It seems as though it can be used as a ped side.

Fair enough. That's because this particular scope has 2 diaphragms (and no bell) in the default configuration. I didn't do my due diligence and look at this specific scope. I jumped the gun a little bit, but like I said this issue seems to annoy me for some unknown reason.

edit: and I'm not claiming that anyone should carry 2 scopes. I just don't like the advice of using the bell. Unless the kid is really undersized or something, I haven't run into any major problems using my Master Classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My backup scope (Cardio III) must be an older one because it HAS a bell on one side, not just a smaller diaphragm. But then again the only reason I'm even using the POS is cause my Ultrascope had to get sent in for rebuild :( Next purchase of mine is an Ultrascope Duo (one pedi head, one adult head)

admemt1982

Forum Probie
My backup scope (Cardio III) must be an older one because it HAS a bell on one side, not just a smaller diaphragm. But then again the only reason I'm even using the POS is cause my Ultrascope had to get sent in for rebuild :( Next purchase of mine is an Ultrascope Duo (one pedi head, one adult head)

you can take the diaphragm off the bell side and use it as a traditional bell. that said its hardly a piece of crap. my wife uses my cardio III in her nursing job and it works great in that environment. just to much noise for the back of a rig. you also might need to have yours tuned or get a new tube. just sayin

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The noise issue is exactly why I call is a POS. It's been sent in for tuning and the tubing is all of a year old. I much prefer my Ultrascope for work in a box or when I worked in the hospital. Even though it's engraved for EMS, I'll still keep it using it for nursing school and in my career as an RN

clibb

Forum Captain
I have the Littmann Cardiology III and I love it. I have the 27 inch one and I love the distance I can have from my patients while concerntrating on the sound. I try to be as careful as possible with this stethoscope and try to hang on to it as long as possible.

18G

Paramedic
I just bought an ADC Platinum Edition Lite (612) and am really happy with it. It is light and transfers sounds really well. In comparison to the Cardiology III it replaced, I like the ADC much better. And it only cost $42 brand new from Amazon.com.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I tried out the Littmann Electronic scope a few weeks ago from one of my nurses at work. I used to think "no one needs this except a cardiologist". Well my mind was changed instantly- I can see its use in EMS because it eliminates the background noise from creaking knuckles as well as when you hear your own pulse, etc. You can also turn up the volume in high noise environments.

As for the price tag? Can't quite justify spending ~$200 on it. Not to mention the possibility of it getting stolen.

Anyone else tried one out yet?

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Had the top of the range Littman electronic on a 2 week trial earlier this year, awesome bit of kit but way too pricey for my budget. Had a lot of fun recording friends and relatives 'internal sounds' then getting the PC to analyse them

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a Littman Classic S.E. II. I like it so far, haven't used it outside of class yet though. Those ultrascopes are really tempting.

Spedz

Forum Probie
You seriously need an electronic stethoscope with recording capabilities to identify sounds you will never need to know?

I'd chuckle if I saw an emt with a 3100.

Well I am buying the 3200 for me and I am only in school although I am doing it because of my hearing loss....I would find out why they have it before you "CHUCKLE" or you might offend someone that you don't want to

@tssemt2010, what model Ultrascope do you carry? Pros and Cons?

What's your opinion on this Ultrascope? http://www.allheart.com/utm.html

Thanks in advance.
-Bruce

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Those ultrascopes are so ridiculous looking. I finally got to use one. Worked great but personally a little to big for my taste.