Stethoscope - The Mega Thread

EMTSTRONG

Forum Crew Member
Ok.

Littmann.

Thats it.

Everybody says: "Dont buy a littmann it will get stolen" and nevertheless everybody has a litmmann. :)

I think that besides a good stethoscope you also need a good pair of boots, good scissors, a small lamp that can be beaten up and a descent notepad or something to write on.

That's interesting. We are working on a new device to keep your littmann from being stolen. It's not available yet though. I also agree with the scissor comment.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I must be the odd one out.....

I have and use a Littman 3100 and wouldnt use any thing cheaper than that. Of course I do have hearing loss so the run of the mill scope just doesn't cut it for me.
I also wear hearing aids and when I use the scope I have to take one hearing aid out really quick and listen to what I need and then slip the aid back in.
I am currently an EMT-IT and start the paramedic program in the Fall so I can justify spending the cash for a quality scope that is amplified.

8jimi8

CFRN
I have and use a Littman 3100 and wouldnt use any thing cheaper than that. Of course I do have hearing loss so the run of the mill scope just doesn't cut it for me.
I also wear hearing aids and when I use the scope I have to take one hearing aid out really quick and listen to what I need and then slip the aid back in.
I am currently an EMT-IT and start the paramedic program in the Fall so I can justify spending the cash for a quality scope that is amplified.

i am also enjoying my littman 3100. very comfortable and freaking awesome for listening to diminished anything.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, has anybody tried out the "Big shars"

http://www.bigshears.com

Those are really expensive and i want to know if someone has used them. And their experience.

I've used these shears for 8 years. Super sharp and will cut through clothes without even having to open and close the action. The down side to them is they won't cut through things like plastic zip ties used by police. So I always carry a cheap $2 pair of scissors too. You can find them for less than that website you posted.

As fas as stethoscopes, Littmann is one only choice. I've used the same ones for 8 years also and have never had them stolen, but I don't leave them laying around either.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Ebay

I think I just bought a used master cardiology off of ebay for $66 shipped. I'm fairly happy with myself at the moment.

clibb

Forum Captain
I got the Littmann Cardiology III stethoscope for "graduating" EMT class from my parents. I love this stethoscope. Really let's me practice listening to different breath sounds and heart beats. It's really good for peds too because the bell doesn't get cold. I would give this 9/10. Littmann really hooked me up with engraving and a name tag on the stethoscope.
Hopefully I will be using this stethoscope for the next 20 some years and for med school. My medic tried mine on during a call and loves them. He'll be getting his for Christmas from his wife :)

MAKE SURE TO GET THE STETHOSCOPE ENGRAVED BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE ELSE THINKS IT'S THEIRS OR STEALS YOURS. THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO PROVE IT'S YOURS!
^^^ In caps, so now you can't say that I told you so. The extra $5-$10 is worth it.

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
Like a few others, I have a Littmann 3100. My situation's a little different. My boss bought it for my 18th birthday right before I took my EMT-B written. I struggle to hear everything in a cheap steth, but not a big enough deal to buy a 3100. Anyway... I love the darn thing. Never had issues with it being stolen. I keep my eye on it not to misplace it, but I left it in our day room once and it was returned to me that night.
Currently, I'm in college only working on a rig when I can make it home, so my boyfriend, an EMT-A uses it. I might have to fight him for it when I get out of school. lol. He likes it more than me!

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I use a Littman Cardiology. Black edition (entirely black; bell, ear pieces) and engraved with my name. My wife got it for me as a birthday gift. Great steth! I loved my old cheap Litman lightweight, but this one is so nice.

However, you don't want to lose an expensive stethoscope. I lost mine three times within two months of getting it. Rushing out of the truck after a late call. Switching trucks on an ALS intercept. Even putting it down while on the phone with dispatch. Finally I had to adopt a personal rule: the steth is either on my neck, on top of my boots and belt (when sleeping) or back in its box between shifts. I've become a little obsessive, but it was the only way. You can't be so cavalier and careless like you can with a cheap practically disposable one.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Just got my used Master Cardiology in the mail. Turns out it needs a new diaphragm and rim assembly and new earpieces, but that's just $20 on top of the $66 I spent for the scope (so about $87 total), and everything else is in great condition. I'm pretty psyched, it's going to be total overkill for working as an EMT, but I was going to buy a Master Classic, and it would have been about the same price. I've got an original lightweight (not one of the weird-shaped new ones) as a backup just in case. I'll let everyone know how it works in the field for me.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Like a few others, I have a Littmann 3100. My situation's a little different. My boss bought it for my 18th birthday right before I took my EMT-B written. I struggle to hear everything in a cheap steth, but not a big enough deal to buy a 3100. Anyway... I love the darn thing. Never had issues with it being stolen. I keep my eye on it not to misplace it, but I left it in our day room once and it was returned to me that night.
Currently, I'm in college only working on a rig when I can make it home, so my boyfriend, an EMT-A uses it. I might have to fight him for it when I get out of school. lol. He likes it more than me!

You seriously need an electronic stethoscope with recording capabilities to identify sounds you will never need to know?

I'd chuckle if I saw an emt with a 3100.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Concerning the Ultrascopes. I was bought one for Christmas a few years ago just before going into Medic school. I liked it a lot in my hospital rotations. Yes, you can hear a heartbeat through a multi-folded towel. However, when out on the truck I decided that it was not practical. The head is just to big to tuck under a BP cuff like I like to do, and it picks up far too much ambient noise. So, IMHO, inside building, relatively quiet area, no idling diesels or other road noise, and it's pretty good. For working the streets I prefer my Littman Classic II SE.

goose6605

Forum Ride Along
Problems Ordering from MY Stethoscope.com

Hi everyone, I am posting this to let everyone know not to use mystethoscope.com to purchase anything! They have the worst customer service that i have ever encountered! I ordered a stethoscope from them and they billed me the same day but it took over a month and a half to receive the product! I tried to contact their customer service multiple times and always got a voicemail and they never replied to it! I sent them countless emails too! We never got a confirmation email or anything along those lines! I am just letting everyone else out in the EMS community know to go to a different company to purchase your stethoscopes!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Concerning the Ultrascopes. I was bought one for Christmas a few years ago just before going into Medic school. I liked it a lot in my hospital rotations. Yes, you can hear a heartbeat through a multi-folded towel. However, when out on the truck I decided that it was not practical. The head is just to big to tuck under a BP cuff like I like to do, and it picks up far too much ambient noise. So, IMHO, inside building, relatively quiet area, no idling diesels or other road noise, and it's pretty good. For working the streets I prefer my Littman Classic II SE.
Even if it fit, you're not supposed to tuck it under a BP cuff. That pressure will cut off all sound so you won't hear anything. It's a pressure sensitive head, remember? ANd actually tucking the head of hte scope under the cuff is bad form to begin with.
I have used my Ultrascope on a very loud medium duty bus that this service uses and love it even more :) Once I go pick up the 3100 tomorrow though I'll start the trial of that :)

nemedic

Forum Captain
I use a Black Edition Master Cardiology. Got it from Medisave.net for $199, including shipping and having my name engraved on the head. Shipping was great. Ordered it On a Tuesday afternoon, had it in hand noon on Wednesday. Sound quality is great. Tested it under simulated noise conditions by checking BPs next to a BRT idling. While I could still hear some, it was leaps and bounds over the spragues and fisher price scopes my company provide

iacuras

Forum Ride Along
There's been a lot of talk about Littmann's on this thread, but what about other brands. I'm currently looking into getting a new scope, and was wondering what people have heard about the Welch Allyn's and DRG's. Thanks.

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
I have an all heart cardiology edition scope and it is great for me in the back of the truck and in the hospital on clinical.. and it was around 50 bucks