Steel toe or no??

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
the ^ guys have been doing this a while. You can almost always tell who the veterans are because they are the ones without all the useless crap. I totally agree about the steel toe boots. I wanted to be the first one to tell you all what crap steel toe boots were, but rid and ak beat me to it. I've tried to wear company issued steel toe boots but they're just not practical for ems. I buy my own boots without steel toes but for my next pair, I'm probably going to the shoes.

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Well even though I don't have the expertise to be able to speak about personal experience on the street, for me it all boiled down to comfort.

I wanted a very comfortable shoe considering the hours I am going to spend in them....and I was able to find one.

Fortunately enough for me...it took all the debate/guess work out of it because they came with a safety toe anyways.

FWIW, I went with the 5.11 ATAC Shield Boots.
http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=1&number=12003
Just glad I shopped around and got a great price on them too.

-Matt

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I'm a big fan of the Firefighter III boots from Firefighter Safety Center in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Same boot that LAFD is/was using. I got a pair about 4 years ago, used them heavily, and just retired them about a month or so ago (due to sole wear) for a new pair. They have a really wide toe box and are probably the most comfortable ones I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch in my industrial and fire service careers). They're pricey ($180), but they last.

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
I spent quite some time researching comfortable steel toe. I wear steel toe almost all the time for some reason. I sit at a desk at work all day so it is really not justified but I am used to it. When I started fire academy I longed for a pair of steel toe that were black (to conform with uniform standards) but were easy to slide off and on (dressing drills are a pain! We used to do 10 or so dressing drills in a row). My solution was to buy a pair of timberland pro series shoes (not boots). They are extremely light weight (weigh only 1lbs), only go up to my ankle (allows me to crouch down without discomfort), and are generally comfortable.

This also helps me in the middle of the night when waking up and having to run out of the bunk room and downstairs to the rig. I stand up and step in to my shoes (loosely laced so I dont have to worry about tieing or zipping).

I got them directly from the Timberland website. They were actually cheaper than my taller boots.

http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2453929

If the link does not work, you can search for Style #40008 on their site.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Many services in my area actually now require steel-toed boots for paramedics and EMT's, so the decision is which ones to buy, not whether to wear them or not :p

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
definitly steel toe. no substitute. they saved my toes quite a few times.......

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry to bring up an old post but I just tried on some steel toe's and I'm finding them uncomfortable when I take a knee or am kneeling with both knees, like when I would be doing CPR. Is this discomfort experienced by everyone or something you get used to over time? Or should I just go with non-steel toe for the comfort? Is steel toe for MVA-style situations where an unstable vehicle may fall on your toes? Just one example I can think of. Please advise.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sorry to bring up an old post but I just tried on some steel toe's and I'm finding them uncomfortable when I take a knee or am kneeling with both knees, like when I would be doing CPR. Is this discomfort experienced by everyone or something you get used to over time? Or should I just go with non-steel toe for the comfort? Is steel toe for MVA-style situations where an unstable vehicle may fall on your toes? Just one example I can think of. Please advise.
I've never had that issue. It may just be the brand of boots you were trying on.

There are a lot of things that steel toes are good for. Dropping the monitor or response bags on your toes, accidentally kicking something, having it ran over by the gurney.

I will say that no one should be doing any medical treatments on patients who are in an unstable car. If that car rolls then your toes are the least of the concern.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Well said. I'm sold on steel toes then. Also, I'd hate to get regular boots then work for a place that requires steel toes and not have them.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My company does not require them however they give you $150 off of approved pairs that meet their standards (steel toe, steel shank, and a couple of NFPA standards).

If you get hurt on the job while wearing a pair that is not approved and try to blame the company it's not going to go well.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
We're required to wear a safety toe here. I personally use the Haix Airpower R2's. I switched to them several years ago and haven't looked back. Super comfortable, light, durable, and long lasting.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have safety toe boots but rarely wear them. I have not noticed hurting my toes while wearing hiking boots most shifts.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Steel toe over regular boot, composite safety toe over steel toe. I like having that peace of mind that when I kick or drop stuff on my toe I won't be out of it. A lot of people I work with wear sneakers and shorts and put on brush pants and boots when needed. I guess it's all up to personal preference in the end.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
+1 on composite toe. Lighter than steel toe, and at least with the pairs I tried on, more comfortable than steel toe as well. I have a relatively inexpensive pair, 5.11 ATAC Shield 8" boots.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
As I've stated previously, black tennis shoes FTW.

+1. We have to wear shoes/boots that can be shined, though. I've had a lot of trouble finding a shoe that can take a shine yet has a decently aggressive tread on the bottom for snow/ice.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
+1. We have to wear shoes/boots that can be shined, though. I've had a lot of trouble finding a shoe that can take a shine yet has a decently aggressive tread on the bottom for snow/ice.
Check out the original swat metro air. Under $100, is polishable, and has safety toe and side zip, with aggressive/slip resistant tread

Reactions: J B

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies

Danner Acadia has a very aggressive tread, but expensive and I had lots of issues with comfort.

Reactions: J B