Spineboard Types

mmumeda

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
What kind of spineboards do you use and what county are you located in? In Honolulu, we typically use folding metal spineboards.

Everybody in my neck of the woods uses a Ferno long plastic spineboard, with the reusable Ferno orange headblocks.
saver_spine_board_med_001.jpg

IMMOHE313855FE.jpg

Our medic units carry disposable CIDs with our boards, but they rarely get used, as we tend to use the BLS gear from the ambulance.

As an aside, Spider Straps are unheard of here. Nobody uses them.

Couldn't tell you the company, pretty sure they are Ferno though. We use the disposable yellow head blocks. Spider straps are awesome once you get used to using them and placing them properly, which is rare to actually see. Well placed spiders are about as close as you are going to get to true immobilization rather than just motion restriction.

We are supposed to be switching to the hybrid scoop/LSBs here soon. At least one per truck plus a couple of the boards we have now.

combi-carrier-2.png

I think the ones we "borrowed" from city fire (given to us by a medical division member) are made by Iron Duck. We've got the spider straps along with disposable yellow blocks and semi disposable Hartwell vacuum splints to use instead of blocks if possible. We also have a Ferno athletics board that is probably 25% wider than typical and close to seven feet long. Thing is gigantic.

I can imagine using a metal board, talk about cold.

No kidding, from Bedrock EMS, we used to make our own. 3/4 or 1 inch marine plywood, 2X1 runners, and reclaimed seat belts for straps. Had to make short boards too (no runners). Many hours cutting, sanding, dusting, waiting for varnish or varathane to dry than sanding again, glueing and screwing, and finally a couple coats of auto wax.

Couldn't tell you the company, pretty sure they are Ferno though. We use the disposable yellow head blocks. Spider straps are awesome once you get used to using them and placing them properly, which is rare to actually see. Well placed spiders are about as close as you are going to get to true immobilization rather than just motion restriction.

We are supposed to be switching to the hybrid scoop/LSBs here soon. At least one per truck plus a couple of the boards we have now.

combi-carrier-2.png

Those things really suck.

Also note the hinges are metal and make radiology useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're under the feet...???

They're under the feet...???

yea, and at 0'dark 30, the head and feet don't always wind up on the proper side.

The hinge knocks out the whole cspine area on xray and on ct makes the scan all but useless.

Well, turn 'em around! Spoiled hospital types....:rofl:

ANd update their protocols: "The patient must be placed with head and neck unobstructed by metallic portions of any and all orthopaedic appliances...":wacko:

Well, turn 'em around! Spoiled hospital types....:rofl:

It is easier to just take them off the board, but we try to leave them on in order to help the people who actualy have to do the lifting and carrying.

ubevupa8.jpg

This is the backboard type I prefer to use due to the fact it's not flat.

haryna7y.jpg

We also carry the normal backboards.

numyma6a.jpg

Our pediatric backboard.

yqygy3a2.jpg

D-ring straps 10-15 feet long

duta7ahe.jpg

Our single use head beds.

What we use: Iron Duck, some fancy CID by Laerdal (SpeedBlocks®™ etc.), nylon weave belts with buckles, Laerdal StiffNeck®™ etc. C-collars.

What we should be using based on EBM: Maybe nothing, maybe C-collars (viz.: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23079144, etc. and obviously not for penetrating trauma as per http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19820585, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, boards are great for moving people to the stretcher, but I'd like to see them discontinued as immobilization devices where possible.

It is easier to just take them off the board, but we try to leave them on in order to help the people who actualy have to do the lifting and carrying.

Doesn't the literature now suggest that all patients come off the board as soon as possible? Those hover mats do a good job moving patients to CT (unless you're me and they still drop you a foot onto three fractured vertebrae).

duta7ahe.jpg

Our single use head beds.

Must light on fire nowz.

Don't get me wrong, boards are great for moving people to the stretcher, but I'd like to see them discontinued as immobilization devices where possible.

Gimme da scoop!

Doesn't the literature now suggest that all patients come off the board as soon as possible?

You bet. That's the new policy at my place - EMS and the RN remove the board, while maintaining spinal precautions.

I'm moderately surprised that there are still EDs running patient through the CT on a backboard. A good reason for EMS to purchase metal backboards, IMHO. Somewhat passive-aggressive...

Doesn't the literature now suggest that all patients come off the board as soon as possible? Those hover mats do a good job moving patients to CT (unless you're me and they still drop you a foot onto three fractured vertebrae).

That's what I've seen as well, but I suppose that there's enough of a chance of actual spinal injury with those who have severe pain or meet some sort of clinical criteria that I'm unaware of.

Gimme da scoop!
I hear that (Gimme tha loot!) I'd like to use it more often...hmm...methinks I shall.

You bet. That's the new policy at my place - EMS and the RN remove the board, while maintaining spinal precautions.

I'm moderately surprised that there are still EDs running patient through the CT on a backboard.

Loving the policy, btw -- saw it on your blog! I wish you could make it part of protocols for services bringing in to St. V's, too, to clear them ASAP...

I'm moderately surprised that there are still EDs running patient through the CT on a backboard. A good reason for EMS to purchase metal backboards, IMHO. Somewhat passive-aggressive...

That's what I've seen as well, but I suppose that there's enough of a chance of actual spinal injury with those who have severe pain or meet some sort of clinical criteria that I'm unaware of.

I hear that (Gimme tha loot!) I'd like to use it more often...hmm...methinks I shall.

Metal boards (and scoops) are cold. If you don't have a plastic scoop, try and get one!

I think I could count on one hand EDs that remove the board before CT that I have seen on that side of the pond.

I wonder if it is relative to the time it actually takes to get the pt to CT?

If I'm going to use one, give me the following:
1. SKED (if I have to board them, they are likely to REALLY need it, and that means probably extrication and/or very strict spinal immobilization..unless it causes more pain and deficit, in which case they can sit with me and run the siren.
2. SINGLE PIECE LONG BOARD WITH PINS IN HANDHOLDS FOR STRAP CLIPS. As long as ALL sides except head end are tapered like a wedge, the sides are off the floor. Like the spinal/blood groove on the Ferno shown above.
3. STRAPS: single-use with end clips for board and double-back plastic buckles for closure and tension adjustment. No "D"-rings, no Velcro.
4. Any non-reuseable headblock, no adhesives (fail in rain or CSF), velcro OK.
5. Four trained brawny users!!

Back