• Warp speed (especially on a Code 3)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
Survey: Most States Allow 5-10 mph Speeding Cushion for Motorists
By KEN THOMAS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON- Authorities patrolling U.S. highways tend to give motorists a cushion of up to 10 miles per hour above the speed limit before pulling them over, says a survey by a group of state traffic safety officials.

Law enforcement needs to be given the political will to enforce speed limits and the public must get the message that speeding will not be tolerated"

Full story click here: Speeding

I always thought they did...now I know for sure!

:ph34r:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Usually about 6 or 7 over...

Except for when I was driving the Fire Trucks...Then it was as fast a traffic would allow.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
lots of horses under the hood of the truck.... they need to run sometimes... most limits around here are 55 or 60.. some 65... i drive 70 to 80 most time .... if i'm driving a ambulance.. not uncommon to see the needle at 85-90 but if our reg driver is at the wheel.. hell i have seen 100 plus

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jun 13 2005, 01:26 PM
Usually about 6 or 7 over...

Except for when I was driving the Fire Trucks...Then it was as fast a traffic would allow.
or the truck will allow. It is SO embarassing being passed on the turnpike while responding Class 1....

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I dunno.....nobody let's me drive anymore.... :(

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
They shouldn't have let the public know that, especially here in Texas! Driving 20mph over the speed limit is the norm around here.
Judges throw out anything under 10mph. I guess it's a waste of their time.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a lead foot. Ambulance'e Fire trucks and three .5 years in Germany doesn't help!! :D

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Jun 14 2005, 09:47 AM
I have a lead foot. Ambulance'e Fire trucks and three .5 years in Germany doesn't help!! :D
Yeah, someone wanted to take my keys away the other night and I was the sober driver! ;)

ECC

Forum Captain
My Duramax stumbles at the speed limiter (~100 mph)

I get the Engine up to about ~65 mph while responding though ;)

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Most of our volly aparatus do about 85. I used to be on a volly dept. that built their own fast attack and I had that up over 100 on a middle of no where country road MVA. My full time job rig does about 90, 95 down hill!! :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Jun 14 2005, 05:53 PM
Most of our volly aparatus do about 85. I used to be on a volly dept. that built their own fast attack and I had that up over 100 on a middle of no where country road MVA. My full time job rig does about 90, 95 down hill!! :ph34r:
Nice....

Our rigs do about 58 on a good day.... 62 if we have a downhill

ECC

Forum Captain
As a professional Chauffeur (no offense to Volunteers...it is not a pay thing) I must say that 100 mph in a home made Suicide Pumper is OUT OF CONTROL. Go to Firefighter Close Calls to see just how many MVA's take the lives of out brethren.

There is a reason there is a governor on some rigs...I am not a proponent of them because they seem to get in the way at the wrong moment...but seriously: 10-15 over the posted limit is enough.

Let's be careful out there! The public depends on us...do not be part of the problem.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by ECC@Jun 14 2005, 08:49 PM
As a professional Chauffeur (no offense to Volunteers...it is not a pay thing) I must say that 100 mph in a home made Suicide Pumper is OUT OF CONTROL. Go to Firefighter Close Calls to see just how many MVA's take the lives of out brethren.

There is a reason there is a governor on some rigs...I am not a proponent of them because they seem to get in the way at the wrong moment...but seriously: 10-15 over the posted limit is enough.

Let's be careful out there! The public depends on us...do not be part of the problem.
You are right. It was a brand new chassis though!! :D We were in route to an MCI, school bus rollover with 23 kids in it. I know that doesn't matter!! :lol:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i drive as fast as i feel comfortable at that time; given current conditions, traffic, priority, occupation etc.

if i'm responding to a code or on my way back to quarters an hour late from that "one last call we need you to do", its time to see how fast this rig will go

while going somewhere non priority or occupied for a transfer, usually about 10 over

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our BLS rigs will reach 88 MPH and our ALS rigs a bit slower. I've never gone that fast ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 16 2005, 07:03 AM
Our BLS rigs will reach 88 MPH and our ALS rigs a bit slower. I've never gone that fast ;)
I've been in my local squad's Horton, when it was brand new, on a trauma alert run... My EMS Capt (Chief), all of 22y/o was driving, at the ED he said the governor topped out at 84. The medic and our other partner looked at him.... "What? I wanted to see how fast it would go... the old one did 82! :p "

I still remember the intubated, abdominal GSW transfer from the "used to be a trauma center, until they started to close the hospital" facility we were posted at 24/7, with the PD Dective car (1996 Ford TAURUS) inches off my rear bumper, in the rig that could haul *** (I had it up to almost 90) but that, if I went over 66MPH the back end vibrated badly and sounded like I'd have it fall off (3 of 4 bolts on anti-sway bar were stripped, 4th was almost gone). My partner eventually said don't make that noise, but get me there fast....

Great thing is, is 4 hours later, my relief was late by 2 minutes, so I got to take my partner's relief to the same hospital, same route, at 7am on Saterday, with a guy having a MASSIVE anterior wall MI - direct admit to cath lab.... AWESOME NIGHT :D

Jon

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Some calls are great to go slow on... I wish the guy driving today had thought of that. We had a 93yo female w/ a fractured rib and she was in a lot of pain, but the guy still drove like we were code 3. I swear i felt like rubber banding a glove at his head. :angry:

vtemti

Forum Captain
I tend to go with the flow. If the general speed is 20 over then I will do 20 over. They can't stop em all.

Example:
Chester is the intersection of two major routes that leed to approximately 7 ski areas within a 30 mile radius. Our winter traffic is ridiculous. During a holiday weekend last winter, one of our officers wrote about 30 tickets during one shift. The kicker is that he was only stopping the ones that were 20+ over, everyone was speeding that day.