Sorry If I Upset You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy,
You just must must of read it wrong..... it happens. Chest Tubes and Intubation's are totally different.

Not very many medics can put Chest Tubes in, so you must have been talking about AZ FF being able to intubate.

But hey, at least your not afraid to post what you think.

Take Care,

We use the terms interchangeably here, well, at least no one corrected me in 8 weeks of school.... so what is the difference?

I wonder if your thinking of something else?

Intubation and Chest Tube are not the same at all.

Lets see here if I can post some pictures... I have never tried this, so will see what happens.

Ok, so here is an Intubation:

qq1sgIntubation.gif

And here is a Chest Tube:

7048.jpg

Images are from google.com, I take no credit for them.

Anyway, if you want to read about them, just google them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first, those are HUGE pictures.

So back to the original question...I've only seen a chest tube done during my ER clinicals so I don't see any need for one to be done in the field...

So our medics are not trained for chest tubes here...

Wow thats embarrassing...

single post

Wow about that chest tube picture... they really snake it up that far into the pleural space? I've never seen it done.

Well first, those are HUGE pictures.

So back to the original question...I've only seen a chest tube done during my ER clinicals so I don't see any need for one to be done in the field...

So our medics are not trained for chest tubes here...

Wow thats embarrassing...

Okay, sorry for the rant and please do not consider as an attack but her we go again! Really, you don't see any need for it. Thank you so much. Wow! One that did not even know the difference between an intubation and chest tube, or in other words similar to the old saying not knowing your head from your. ***. An 8 week course, allowed you to make the determination to know what is needed in the field right?

Sorry, it is not just you alone, rather any of the lower ranking or less trained individuals actually think they have the knowledge to judge or question what is acceptable or not. Similar to me telling a surgeon what procedures would be acceptable or not. Both would be considered ludicrous.

Back to the chest tube. My summary of performing the procedure of the chest tube is to make an opening large enough for the diameter of the tube. Usually one either can use a stylet (looks like a large knitting needle) or curved Kelly clamp the chest wall is incised with a scalpel then the tube is introduced. A finger is inserted to feel the lining of the lung, (making sure you are in the right place) then the tube is introduced cephalic or up towards the head. There are markers on the tube to give location and amount is in the chest wall. There are formulas on how much should be introduced. Technically, a x-ray should be performed immediately after the insertion to verify placement.

Again, this is a surgical procedure performed daily in hospitals. Very few air services perform it. As Vent and I described there are conditions that need it, hopefully as we become more educated this procedure will added more. I doubt I will see this in the next ten years.

R/r 911

Okay, sorry for the rant and please do not consider as an attack.....not knowing your head from your. ***. An 8 week course, allowed you to make the determination to know what is needed in the field right?...
R/r 911

So saying I don't know my head from my *** isn't considered an attack?? Not sure who taught you manners.

So basically if I understand you correctly, I'm another dumb EMT because I don't know the difference between a surgical procedure and an ALS skill?? I know what I need to treat a patient with BLS skills. My 8 week course obviously worked just fine if I'm a licensed EMT, now didn't it??...

I asked a simple question and instead of explaining it in a simple manner like Tydek did, you have to go on this rant about how stupid EMT's are and all that :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Lemme ask you, do you even remember what it was like to be an EMT? What was your first call like? I'm sure your preceptor didn't say "no dumbass, that's not what we use ____ for". No, I bet if you asked a question or made a mistake (:o if you are even capable of such) your preceptor kindly explained what was going on.

I consider myself a medical professional and will not to tolerate this on a public forum for the EMS community. I'll be honest- I don't care how many posts or how much experience you have. We are all medical professionals and should be treated as such. End of story.

So basically if I understand you correctly, I'm another dumb EMT because I don't know the difference between a surgical procedure and an ALS skill??

I think Rid was commenting on the fact that it looks rather unprofessional when you confuse two somewhat common procedures for patients. One of the best ways to earn the respect of other health care professionals is to be able to speak intelligently about the tools of the field.

C'mon, Rid's not giving you crap about not knowing that, for example, Augmentin is an antibiotic consisting of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid which acts as a suicide inhibitor for Beta-lactamases, no, he's commenting that not all EMTs know their way around common procedures for ER patients. Wait, kinda like the same ER patients that EMTs bring in, and sometimes even transport to other facilities. You want be treated as a professional, sound like one.

I know what I need to treat a patient with BLS skills. My 8 week course obviously worked just fine if I'm a licensed EMT, now didn't it??...

Certified as an EMT does not mean that you are a good EMT. One would hope the two go together, but hey, I suppose that now you're done with your 8-week course you can just stop learning and save the world all by yourself.

No good health care professional ever stops learning. The EMT-B curriculum is the bare minimum knowledge. I would hope that a professional would attempt to expand on such.

I asked a simple question and instead of explaining it in a simple manner like Tydek did, you have to go on this rant about how stupid EMT's are and all that :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Lemme ask you, do you even remember what it was like to be an EMT? What was your first call like? I'm sure your preceptor didn't say "no dumbass, that's not what we use ____ for". No, I bet if you asked a question or made a mistake (:o if you are even capable of such) your preceptor kindly explained what was going on.

You know, you're taking what I read as a general commentary on the lack of medical literacy among EMTs very personally. And I'm pretty sure Rid is an EMT, and might know a thing or two about a job he's been doing for awhile. Don't hold me to that though, maybe he just puts CC/EMT-P in his signature for fun.

I consider myself a medical professional and will not to tolerate this on a public forum for the EMS community. I'll be honest- I don't care how many posts or how much experience you have. We are all medical professionals and should be treated as such. End of story.

Here we go with the medical professional bit....once again, part of being a true medical professional is sounding the part.

Sorry, noobie maybe I was a little rough on you. I apologize but still believe that you need to learn that some real life in the profession. As well, NO I never was a Basic EMT, I went straight through my Paramedic and have always worked as one for over 31 years. Yes, I do remember what is was like, the reason I stated what I did.

My point was to try to inform you of a some professional tact. One should learn that you should not try give an opinion of a procedure if it should or not should be done by an individual, especially when it was obvious you knew nothing about it. By giving a poor statement would be considered just as unprofessional, don't believe me say to an experience Paramedic and see what happens.

As well, completing a EMT/B does not impress any healthcare professional. Seriously, it has a >80% pass rate the first time and really it is just barely a starting point. So don't expect to get much credit. I am quite aware of the EMT Curriculum.

I suggest if this simple post offended you, you might want to learn to roll with the flow. Much better me than a surgeon, or better yet your field preceptor. It is not a kumba-ya out there. You were the one that suggested your opinon that the procedure was not needed or necessary, after seeing a one time procedure, and just completing a very elementary fundamental course. That is not bad, just what it is. Just be sure, to be aware when other professionals hear statements like what you had made maybe very offensive and don't be surprised to be chastized even more.

This why forums like this help others. It deals with real life and real people who work in the field, trauma center, O.R. etc. It is not a classroom, where the field is sometime viewed through rose colored glasses. I guess we are both alike, I am not trying to impress anyone. You described you are a nursing student, I as well as those that have been through such will forewarn you they are much more critical on statements. Again, sorry if I offended you.

P.S. I work in the field as a Critcal Care Paramedic (field) full time, and RN part time.
Good luck,

R/r 911

Certified as an EMT does not mean that you are a good EMT. One would hope the two go together, but hey, I suppose that now you're done with your 8-week course you can just stop learning and save the world all by yourself.

No good health care professional ever stops learning. The EMT-B curriculum is the bare minimum knowledge. I would hope that a professional would attempt to expand on such....

You know, you're taking what I read as a general commentary on the lack of medical literacy among EMTs very personally. And I'm pretty sure Rid is an EMT, and might know a thing or two about a job he's been doing for awhile. Don't hold me to that though, maybe he just puts CC/EMT-P in his signature for fun.....
Here we go with the medical professional bit....once again, part of being a true medical professional is sounding the part.

I understand there are good and bad EMT's; there are also good and bad doctors, but you know what they call the doctor that graduates first in his class and the last in his class?? Doctor. This quote was from my EMT instructor who has been a medic for years, as well as an RN/BSN. He's one of the best instructors around and has a completely different perspective than Rid seems to...
I understand learning is an ongoing process, however, how can one learn if they can't get simple questions answered in a polite manner? I also understand the field can be stressful and is not always the best place to ask questions but again, I do what I need to in order to be the best EMT I can be.

Not quite sure what you meant by my lack of sounding 'professional'... I simply replied to a thread in defense of myself...

That's enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back