So Sacramento DMV has to review my driving history...

Astronot

Forum Ride Along
Just passed my Ambulance Driver's License test in California. DMV said because I had 2 previous accidents within the last 3 years they couldn't issue me a temporary license and needed to send my papers to the DMV in Sacramento for review. The clerk couldn't give me an answer but I noticed on one of the forms where you check if you had any exceptions, I wrote "no exceptions", and 1 bullet point said "3 accidents in the last 3 years", which I had said no.

Do I have a chance to get my ambulance license? Looks like I won't be able to work until after summer it looks like in my current situation. The accidents involved weren't under any influences and I don't have a criminal background.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That's up to the DMV. Your chances probably won't be all that good if those traffic accidents have you as being "at fault" for them.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Hang on, am I reading this right? Did you lie to the DMV about what records you have with...the DMV? I need to know how you thought you were owing to get away with that one. Please.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hang on, am I reading this right? Did you lie to the DMV about what records you have with...the DMV? I need to know how you thought you were owing to get away with that one. Please.

It sounds like he's only had two and he's suspecting the DMV worker thought the requirements were incorrect and sent it off even though the magic number is 3 not 2.

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
Just passed my Ambulance Driver's License test in California. DMV said because I had 2 previous accidents within the last 3 years they couldn't issue me a temporary license and needed to send my papers to the DMV in Sacramento for review. The clerk couldn't give me an answer but I noticed on one of the forms where you check if you had any exceptions, I wrote "no exceptions", and 1 bullet point said "3 accidents in the last 3 years", which I had said no.

Do I have a chance to get my ambulance license? Looks like I won't be able to work until after summer it looks like in my current situation. The accidents involved weren't under any influences and I don't have a criminal background.
Curious…lol did you ever get your ambulance certificate??

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Curious…lol did you ever get your ambulance certificate??
Be surprised if they answer, since they haven't returned to the forum since their one post.

Markymark161

Forum Ride Along
Yeah lol it has been 4 years after all…
I went through this exact same thing in January this year, but I only had 1 accident. They refused to give me a temp cert even though I did pass the test. They sent my ambulance driver paperwork to be reviewed by drivers safety for an "investigation". I did end up getting it a month later, but the whole thing scared the hell out of me as there's no info online on if this was normal lol. According to the lady at drivers safety, they do this to see if you have a past of other major incidents like DUIs or other stuff.

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
I went through this exact same thing in January this year, but I only had 1 accident. They refused to give me a temp cert even though I did pass the test. They sent my ambulance driver paperwork to be reviewed by drivers safety for an "investigation". I did end up getting it a month later, but the whole thing scared the hell out of me as there's no info online on if this was normal lol. According to the lady at drivers safety, they do this to see if you have a past of other major incidents like DUIs or other stuff.
I passed my test as well and wasn’t issued a certificate because of a previous suspension..not for anything bad either. I don’t have any citations or even been in an accident before..No DUIs no convictions…I start the academy and my FTO training late May so I’m hoping to have it by then🥹

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
A gentlemen said I could call everyday to check for an update but it’s draining hearing them say they haven’t gotten to it yet.,.I know I’m not the only certificate they are processing but this is stressful as hell no knowing…

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
The DMV really takes a LONG time to get around to things. The main Sacramento DMV office is my local one. They literally pull out an old Brother typewriter to make the "Ambulance Drivers License."

I have no idea why the state requires such a thing other than to add yet another unnecessary bureaucracy layer and to fleece you for money.

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
The DMV really takes a LONG time to get around to things. The main Sacramento DMV office is my local one. They literally pull out an old Brother typewriter to make the "Ambulance Drivers License."

I have no idea why the state requires such a thing other than to add yet another unnecessary bureaucracy layer and to fleece you for money.
Iam just praying it’s approved before the 30th because my academy training starts then😢

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Iam just praying it’s approved before the 30th because my academy training starts then😢
Probably shouldn’t tell you that years back when I worked in CA how the DMV lost my paperwork after it went to Sacramento and their solution was to just use my temp card till it was time to renew. The CA DMV is the most inefficient governmental organization I’ve seen and I work for the federal government.

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
Yeah I’ve been getting that vibe the past month now! Being that they somehow forgot to send my paperwork to Sacramento DMV the first time I applied for my ambulance certificate…,I’am slowly but surely losing faith and at this point I’m praying that they get it right this time🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
Probably shouldn’t tell you that years back when I worked in CA how the DMV lost my paperwork after it went to Sacramento and their solution was to just use my temp card till it was time to renew. The CA DMV is the most inefficient governmental organization I’ve seen and I work for the federal government.
I’ve never stressed so much about the DMV my entire life LOL….they make me wanna run my head through the wall, 🥹😂

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I’ve never stressed so much about the DMV my entire life LOL….they make me wanna run my head through the wall, 🥹😂
I can empathize with you on this one. hopefully they get it resolved in a timely manner! You can also pull your own record on the DMV website but I think it costs like $3 each time you do. I had to do this in early 2021 to make sure that they cleared up an error ... from 1997....

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like CA DMV is related to NV EMS office.
2 renewals ago for medic I sent it in in Mid March; and got my recert in April: the next year. I kept getting emails that they were working on it, and I could keep working.
This year they emailed out to get your application in for recert by March 1st for March 31st renewal. I got mine in Feb 15, and received it last week

CoolestEMT89

Forum Probie
Mine just got approved and in the mail last week! I start the academy soon as well, they said it should take about 5-10 business days so I’ll be waiting lol but I’ve heard that renewals are even tougher than the initial application.