So how does ALS work in California?

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Follow-up:
The sepsis protocol trial went live Sept 1st and is being done by Liberty Ambulance in cooperation with Ridgecrest Regional.

They are using nasal ETCO2 to detect sepsis early. The metric is ETCO2 <25mmHg, which has a 90% rate of correlation to a lactate of 4. Treatment under the protocol is 250ml bolus for SBP <90mmHg up to 2 liters, with special consideration for renal failure and CHF patients, those patients max at 500ml before you start Dopamine.

Expect to see something added to protocols in 1-2 years following the trial. They plan on adding the protocol regardless of what the trial shows, they just are doing to trial to get the protocol started and track any improvements in patient outcomes prior to a county wide approved protocol.

Pretty much nailed it. The criteria is 2 or more of the following: new onset aloc, bgl>300 in non diabetic, HR>90, RR>20, Temp>100.9 or <97.1, or NC ETCO2 <25, and the unwritten key is with an identifiable source of infection, uti, respirstory, wounds etc. But that hasnt been written into the protocols yet, just voiced by Ridgecrest Regional. If they meet sepsis alert criteria they want any hypotension treated aggressively like you said, and bilateral large bore IVs regardless of BP. It's going pretty good so far, there's been a few legitimate sepsis alerts, but the criteria needs some tweaking so that every tachy diff breather doesn't fall into it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Pretty much nailed it. The criteria is 2 or more of the following: new onset aloc, bgl>300 in non diabetic, HR>90, RR>20, Temp>100.9 or <97.1, or NC ETCO2 <25, and the unwritten key is with an identifiable source of infection, uti, respirstory, wounds etc. But that hasnt been written into the protocols yet, just voiced by Ridgecrest Regional. If they meet sepsis alert criteria they want any hypotension treated aggressively like you said, and bilateral large bore IVs regardless of BP. It's going pretty good so far, there's been a few legitimate sepsis alerts, but the criteria needs some tweaking so that every tachy diff breather doesn't fall into it.
Any critical, or potentially critical patient should and/ or will get two B/L IV's by me, or my nurse, if at all possible regardless of the nature or mechanism.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Galveston is apparently implementing Ancef for suspected sepsis, possibly pneumonia and/or UTI, and trauma with open wounds. @TransportJockey , can you clarify?
We are? Since when? I had that in my protocol in Pecos, but hadn't heard that its official for us yet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ancef?

Was is a simple push dose gram?

How did you guys go about giving it and foregoing the need for cultures?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We are? Since when? I had that in my protocol in Pecos, but hadn't heard that its official for us yet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That's pretty entertaining right there.

We have a Sepsis protocol but the lack of an FDA approved POC lactate monitor is holding it back from actually allowing us to call "Sepsis Alerts". Our criteria is pretty standard, known or presumed infection with 2 of the three criteria.

HR >90, RR >20 (or EtCO2 <32 <-sounds like this will be changing to 25) or temp >100.4/<96.8. 2 of those plus a lactate >4 makes for a Sepsis Alert.

Word on the street is once we have the lactate meters we'll be administering antibiotics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do we need to draw lactates in order to give antibiotics? There are several screening tools that correlate well to elevated lactate levels.

Reactions: NPO

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
1.) call an airship since they can RSI, transport to the closest ED so they can RSI, or wait until we can intubate.

2.) For my area we have to call and get an order for a second 12mg adenosine. We can cardiovert without calling (unless it's a pedi patient).

Just a question: do we ever intubate breathing patients? Wasnt given clear instructions on if the pt is breathing vs not breathing. As in breathing, but wont support their airway much longer, or barely breathing, etc.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just a question: do we ever intubate breathing patients? Wasnt given clear instructions on if the pt is breathing vs not breathing. As in breathing, but wont support their airway much longer, or barely breathing, etc.

Depending on the service, paramedics may intubate breathing patients frequently. RSI, rapid sequence intubation, is the process in which you sedate and paralyze a breathing patient and then intubate them.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
As a whole I don't know how realistic it is, or how ready we are as prehospital providers to up and administer antibiotics.

Granted there are tons of intelligent providers capable of exhibiting sound clinical judgement, but my take is that it takes a bit more insight, and willingness to learn and understand why it is we would give "X" patient "Y" antibiotic.

Can we? Sure, but I would think the proper training be in order prior to implementing this in a protocol. This is why I am so interested in knowing if there are any systems out there that have implemented an antibiotic, and if so what are their parameters, and outcomes.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You may also find an occasional service that still allows their paramedics to perform nasal intubations.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depending on the service, paramedics may intubate breathing patients frequently. RSI, rapid sequence intubation, is the process in which you sedate and paralyze a breathing patient and then intubate them.

All but one of the patients that have gotten intubated by my partner and I have been breathing. Like DE said, some services allow Paramedic's to sedate and paralyze people to intubate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, we do. At least here, because we don't have RSI. You just have to time it right; when they take a breath the cords open and you slide it in. Depending what protocol you're operating under you can give versed after passing the tube.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Nasal tubes have been in my protocols at everyplace I've worked. Finding a trigger tube and a BAAM, now that's another story.
Our NTI procedure was removed about a year ot two ago. Our medical director sited that there had only been 2 performed in the previous year.

Ironically, I was one of the two, the successful one I might add, but CPAP's all but done away with it in the eyes of many medical directors.

I think I would rather have RSI, personally, but the handful of times I used it, it came in handy, and worked well. I do miss the sound of the BAAM "whistling" at me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes. We don't have RSI where I am at however. We had a trauma patient about a year ago with a GCS of 3-4 breathing on her own kinda. Trauma center was about 45 minutes away with no airships available. We ended up tubing her.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The "poor man's RSI", or MAI/ DAI is just not the way to go, IMO.

I once sat in on an ACLS class where another paramedic remarked how in Kern County we're "allowed to snow" our patients with MS/ sedatives to intubate (thankfully no longer common practice in our county). This did not sit well with me, and just shows such lack of forward thinking, progression, and overall clinical knowledge, but I digress...

RSI requires a lot of understanding and perhaps also an understanding that the word "rapid" doesn't mean we are to always rush through this procedure post haste.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My medic program had us do a few research papers and this is what I focused on. Greenville County seems to have figured it out.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My medic program had us do a few research papers and this is what I focused on. Greenville County seems to have figured it out.
I found it interesting that the article used Epinephrine for anaphylaxis as a comparison for a life-saving procedure.

It's my opinion that many paramedics neglect this medication for allergic reactions as it currently stands, so to say that antibiotics and proper identification utilizing SIRS criteria may take a bit more convincing to general paramedics as a whole on just how life-threatening sepsis can be is, well, frankly an understatement to me.

I have met, and spoken to more than one who didn't even know what MODS was. Kinda scary, I think.