Do you smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 66.7%

• Total voters

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know, its legal, so until its not legal I guess non smokers will just have to put up with it :)

I have reactive airway disease. My state just outlawed smoking in restaurants, bars and within 25 feet of the entrance to a public building. I am so ticked off!!! Before I knew to stay away from places where smokers tend to congregate. I don't care if someone smokes, just can cause an asthma attack if they do it near me. Now, with the no smoking in bars rule, all the bar folks are out on the sidewalk causing me to have to cross the street or go out of my way to avoid the downwind path of their smoke. I wish the durn health police had left them in the bars!

OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
Or go work at one of the growing number of places that ban smoking on the job. :)

If you're referring to the no smoking in the workplace bans, we have those in alberta. They don't BAN smoking all together, it just means you can't smoke in shared company vehicles, company buildings, offices, etc etc. Nothing stopping you from going OUTSIDE and having a cigarette.

I love how people like to tag smokers as inconsiderate, smelly or whatever. I'm not going to blow smoke in your face, I'm not going to flick cigarette butts at you, I'm not going to spit in your direction. If the smell offends you that much, hold your breath while you walk by.

I find most people's addiction to mind numbing television shows like american idol or big brother disgusting. I am appalled by people's inherent consumer whorism, their need to drive big mofo SUV's, their inability to think for themselves, and most of all their complete and utter lack of giving a crap when it comes to real issues that affect all of our lives. But you don't hear me whining, raising a big of stink as *some, not all* people do about smoking.

If you're biggest problem in a day is having to walk by a smoker OUTSIDE, well damn, I'd say your life is pretty good :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you're referring to the no smoking in the workplace bans, we have those in alberta. They don't BAN smoking all together, it just means you can't smoke in shared company vehicles, company buildings, offices, etc etc. Nothing stopping you from going OUTSIDE and having a cigarette.

No. I mean that there are places that will not hire people who smoke, regardless of where they smoke citing health insurance costs, among other things.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wish the durn health police had left them in the bars!
I completely agree with this. It should be up to the property owner to decide if s/he wants to allow smoking in his/her place of business. It is up to the consumers and employees if they want to patronize/work for that company.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

I love how people like to tag smokers as inconsiderate, smelly or whatever. I'm not going to blow smoke in your face, I'm not going to flick cigarette butts at you, I'm not going to spit in your direction. If the smell offends you that much, hold your breath while you walk by.

I find most people's addiction to mind numbing television shows like american idol or big brother disgusting. I am appalled by people's inherent consumer whorism, their need to drive big mofo SUV's, their inability to think for themselves, and most of all their complete and utter lack of giving a crap when it comes to real issues that affect all of our lives. But you don't hear me whining, raising a big of stink as *some, not all* people do about smoking.

If you're biggest problem in a day is having to walk by a smoker OUTSIDE, well damn, I'd say your life is pretty good :)

Ok that's great. I agree with you. Now what about your patients?

Nobody on this thread has attacked smokers or argued that the right to smoke should be taken from anyone, even health care providers on the job.

So if your patients are sensitive to the smell, are you going to tell them to hold their breath until you get to the hospital? Smoking isn't inconsiderate. Smelling like smoke while providing patient care is extremely inconsiderate.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Bossy, at least now you can go binge-drink and pickle your liver at the bar just like everyone else without having to worry about second-hand smoke. :)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm, you know, we were told during the general orientation for clinicals, not to wear perfume or strongly scented lotions, body splashes/spray, deodorant, powders (such as shower to shower), because it can make the patient uncomfortable. I would assume this would apply to smoking as well. And, well, if i get in your rig because of an asthma attack, and you happened to have been enjoying your twice hourly smoke when you caught the call, guess what. Just being in the back with me is likely to make me worse, not better.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm from Canada but I did some ride alongs in louisiana. I smoke, I recently quit for 3 months but my grandma died and well smoking is one hell of a crutch lets just say that. I find it not so much hypocritical to me, but more ironic, that smoking is such a huge issue in the states, when obeisity and heart disease linked more to sedentary lifestyle and gluttonous diet run rampant in your country. People deem it ok to :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about the "odour" of smokers, yet no one really gives a :censored::censored::censored::censored: about living in a US city that has a dome of smog entrapping the city.

and also, since when did smoking become unprofessional? I'm kind of out to lunch on that one...

when you are a smoker you are addicted, you smoke, every day, intermittently throughout the day. We're not doing it at work to "kick back and get :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up, or to to rebel against the man cause we're super badass"

the smell of smoke on clothes, the part where you can smell it without having to rub your face into the fabric, only lasts a few minutes anyways, get over it. Like somebody else said in this post, if your biggest concern as a patient is that I smoke, then my biggest concern is handing you off to the hospital ASAP because you are not really sick but you ARE annoying.

I am only talking about people who consider themselves "healthcare professionals" and do realize the bigger scope of smoking and health. I am lucky that both of my employers (hospital and flight) have banned smoking totally as a condition of hire. For flight, if you are obese, you are not getting a job either. Weight restrictions for that job is a requirement. Go over the limit, you don't fly. This may also apply for very obese patients and helicopter transport.

If you want to work in one of our hospitals, you don't smoke. Our employee health insurance is free to the employee and minimal cost for dependents.

For my career as a Respiratory Therapist, I have a very solid future. It doesn't really matter what you did for a profession once you get hooked up to a ventilator. I have former EMTs and Paramedics attached to machines in the sub-acute. They just become "the vent in room 202, COPD or COPD and CVA or COPD and MI". We don't care about your past profession. You may be placed beside others who also ended up on a ventilator due to their addiction problems. They might even be some of those patients you once criticized for their problems that you picked up from the street.

It is also hypocritical that we have many lengthy threads on EMS forums bashing others with drug and alcohol addiction while some are defending smoking as an addiction. An addiction should be recognized for what it is and treatment sought. Just as it is difficult to watch a family member with an alcohol addiction, it is hard to see someone smoking and knowing the potential consequences.

The effects of smoking will be affect several generations in a family. If not health problems, financial issues will haunt them. One catastrophic illness can break the bank account. Unfortunately, smokers don't always die quickly. They linger for years taking a toll on the whole family. Many will continue to smoke in their family's presence to ensure that their legacy will continue. It's not rocket science but a simple co-oximeter measurement, like we do for other carbon monoxide exposures, to see how much second hand smoke people have been exposed to.

I do hate to see children that are have had multiple intubations and are still living with parents that smoke. Yes, some human rights lawyers argue that it is the parents' rights to blow smoke in their child's face. The children have no rights. Much praise should go to the states that have at least banned smoking in cars with children.

People that work in EMS may only see a small portion of the people affected by smoking. For those that work in a busy ED, you will have a better insight. You will probably be exposed to the extensive patient education that is being done. In the ED you will also be taking care of children who are hooked up to breathing treatments while the parents are outside having a smoke, sometimes with the EMT(P)s in the ambulance area. You will also be pouring more albuterol into the nebulizer when the parents come back in to "comfort" their child. You may also get to do plenty of post mortem care on children that die from asthma attacks. For those that believe I am being dramatic, read the statistics and educate yourself. Step outside of your EMS world for a broader view of healthcare problems.

I can't solve all the world's problems concerning smog or whatever but I can educate one person at a time as they come into my care about the hazards of smoking and how it affects their life and/or the lives of their loved ones.

OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
I am only talking about people who consider themselves "healthcare professionals" and do realize the bigger scope of smoking and health. I am lucky that both of my employers (hospital and flight) have banned smoking totally as a condition of hire. For flight, if you are obese, you are not getting a job either. Weight restrictions for that job is a requirement. Go over the limit, you don't fly. This may also apply for very obese patients and helicopter transport.

If you want to work in one of our hospitals, you don't smoke. Our employee health insurance is free to the employee and minimal cost for dependents.

For my career as a Respiratory Therapist, I have a very solid future. It doesn't really matter what you did for a profession once you get hooked up to a ventilator. I have former EMTs and Paramedics attached to machines in the sub-acute. They just become "the vent in room 202, COPD or COPD and CVA or COPD and MI". We don't care about your past profession. You may be placed beside others who also ended up on a ventilator due to their addiction problems. They might even be some of those patients you once criticized for their problems that you picked up from the street.

It is also hypocritical that we have many lengthy threads on EMS forums bashing others with drug and alcohol addiction while some are defending smoking as an addiction. An addiction should be recognized for what it is and treatment sought. Just as it is difficult to watch a family member with an alcohol addiction, it is hard to see someone smoking and knowing the potential consequences.

The effects of smoking will be affect several generations in a family. If not health problems, financial issues will haunt them. One catastrophic illness can break the bank account. Unfortunately, smokers don't always die quickly. They linger for years taking a toll on the whole family. Many will continue to smoke in their family's presence to ensure that their legacy will continue. It's not rocket science but a simple co-oximeter measurement, like we do for other carbon monoxide exposures, to see how much second hand smoke people have been exposed to.

I do hate to see children that are have had multiple intubations and are still living with parents that smoke. Yes, some human rights lawyers argue that it is the parents' rights to blow smoke in their child's face. The children have no rights. Much praise should go to the states that have at least banned smoking in cars with children.

People that work in EMS may only see a small portion of the people affected by smoking. For those that work in a busy ED, you will have a better insight. You will probably be exposed to the extensive patient education that is being done. In the ED you will also be taking care of children who are hooked up to breathing treatments while the parents are outside having a smoke, sometimes with the EMT(P)s in the ambulance area. You will also be pouring more albuterol into the nebulizer when the parents come back in to "comfort" their child. You may also get to do plenty of post mortem care on children that die from asthma attacks. For those that believe I am being dramatic, read the statistics and educate yourself. Step outside of your EMS world for a broader view of healthcare problems.

I can't solve all the world's problems concerning smog or whatever but I can educate one person at a time as they come into my care about the hazards of smoking and how it affects their life and/or the lives of their loved ones.

for the first time in a long time, an anti smoker point of view comes across with some points that actually make sense. Also, I live in Canada, so health insurance / smoking does not effect my employment. I think that personally is ridiculous. But alot of things about America seem ridiculous at least to me. I totally empathize with children growing up in homes with smokers when they have asthma, obviously that is not cool. I'm chewing nicorette right now lol :p but not because of all the stereotypical reasons to try to quit, I want to climb a mountain this summer and being short of breath definately won't help the cause.

JPINFV

Gadfly
But alot of things about America seem ridiculous at least to me.

If it makes you feel any better, there's plenty of things about Canada that leaves me shaking my head.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
If it makes you feel any better, there's plenty of things about Canada that leaves me shaking my head.

would you care to elaborate?

no i'm not trying to start a fight or anything, i'm just curious. Hell, it could even be the things that we shake our own heads about...haha

JPINFV

Gadfly
Let's see here.

Socalized medicine to the point where you aren't allowed to have a private plan. How many Canadians are coming to the states to get 'elective' surgeries done?

Gun control to the extreme. Yes, sensible gun control is important, but there is a point where you end up disarming a populance without touching crime. Unfortunately, there are plenty of places in the US that are well past this point. Example: Washington DC.

High taxes (socialized medicine isn't free. You just pay out of your pay check instead of out of your pocket).

OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
Let's see here.

Socalized medicine to the point where you aren't allowed to have a private plan. How many Canadians are coming to the states to get 'elective' surgeries done?

Gun control to the extreme. Yes, sensible gun control is important, but there is a point where you end up disarming a populance without touching crime. Unfortunately, there are plenty of places in the US that are well past this point. Example: Washington DC.

High taxes (socialized medicine isn't free. You just pay out of your pay check instead of out of your pocket).

lol.... *WOW*

1. You can still buy health insurance to cover things like ambulance rides, dental, surgeries that aren't covered by the government etc. Canada still has alot of problems with its medical system, don't get me wrong, but I am 100% happy with a federal run medical system than a private, to me... to have private health care would be like having pepsi buy out the public school system, implementing its own education system.

2. Gun control to the extreme? ummm, lets see if I want to buy a gun, I have to take a 3-5 hour course, get a permit to own a gun, have a criminal record check done, pay for the gun, and register it, viola. Whats so bad about that exactly? the only people not able to buy guns in Canada are... well.... criminals, and people that don't want a gun bad enough to do a few hours of paperwork. You may think our gun situation is bad, but I'll take our gameplan for dealing with it over America's based purely on gun related crime/homicide/suicide/death statistics alone.

3. Where exactly are you getting this information? I made 39,000 $ last year, my income tax for the year came out to about 5,500. You make it sound like half of canadians paychecks go straight to the government...

poor to middle class people in both America and Canada get taxed about the same, the difference however lays more in the upper classes, where in America, the richer you get the less taxes you pay, and in Canada the more you pay.

This thread is totally going to get locked, but its a shame that you have such a skewed bias missinformed opinion of your neighbour to the north.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
to be fair, I was kind of misleading in regards to guns in Canada. Yes you are right, there are more restrictions on the types of ammunition and guns you can buy also.

Things off the top of my head you cannot purchase as a civilian in Canada
-Fully automatic sub machine guns
-Fully automatic assault rifles
-Fully automatic machine guns
-Grenades

With regards to munitions... I *MAY* be wrong, but I believe you cannot buy
-Hollowpoint bullets
-Armour piercing bullets

To me, it makes sense because all of those things posted above, are highly specific PEOPLE KILLING tools. If you want a gun, you can have one, just not one capable of mowing down dozens of innocent people, or bullets designed specifically to ensure a human beings death. hey, no skin off my back. If I wanted to buy an AK-47 with armour piercing bullets, I'd move to the states, but unfortunately my urge to own a human slaying assault rifle is minimal at best :p

hahah and wow, talk about derailed. Gotta love message boards >: )

OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
on a side note, this mickey mouse survey of EMS / medical personnel that smoke is at 33% for smokers, higher than america's average of 22.3 percent based on a quick probably innaccurate statistics website.

So one could logically come to the conclusion based on these iffy at best factoids, and conclude that there is a higher rate of smokers in the health care field than the average for all people across america.

If anything, its an ironically provoking concept :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
on a side note, this mickey mouse survey of EMS / medical personnel that smoke is at 33% for smokers, higher than america's average of 22.3 percent based on a quick probably innaccurate statistics website.

So one could logically come to the conclusion based on these iffy at best factoids, and conclude that there is a higher rate of smokers in the health care field than the average for all people across america.

If anything, its an ironically provoking concept :)

Or you could interpret it that the non smoking posters of the forum skipped this one or didn't vote. The problem with studies is always how the interpretation of the results can be skewed.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Wow, bled, you're on a roll.

Surprisingly, a forum survey is statistically unsound. It would be interesting to see a real survey, though.

To contribute to the thread's derailment, guns are "people-killing tools". It's fun to use them for things like target and competitive shooting or hunting, but they were invented and are intended to put messy holes in humans. Some people are uncomfortable with that, which I find a little strange.

On the other hand, it's not in the public's best interest to allow most people to buy machine guns or grenades. If you really wanted to get yourself a pre-ban battle rifle and load it up with AP, you'd need to choose your state carefully.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Get back on topic

doh3.gif

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
if you smoke...
you have to do it 20 ft from any building ... here in WA state
IT'S ILLEGAL

i personally don't like the smell of smoke, it's discusting...
but some people start coughing and sneezing if they are around smoke, so why do it when you are in EMS (on duty)???

unless you have some perfume or something to spray on yourself and the smell DISAPPEARS! or chew gum, but you could be affecting your pt's by smoking & then goin on a call.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
if you smoke...
you have to do it 20 ft from any building ... here in WA state
IT'S ILLEGAL

i personally don't like the smell of smoke, it's discusting...
but some people start coughing and sneezing if they are around smoke, so why do it when you are in EMS (on duty)???

unless you have some perfume or something to spray on yourself and the smell DISAPPEARS! or chew gum, but you could be affecting your pt's by smoking & then goin on a call.

Perfume to cover up a bad odor isn't going to help someone that is allergic to the original odor. Adding a new allergen or irritant to the original one only compounds the problem. I don't think many smokers are aware of how much of the smoke lingers on their clothes and around them after they finish a cigarette.

I've found with my own asthma that there are some brands of cigarettes that really bother me and others where I can stand next to someone smoking and not have it bother me at all.

From a legal standpoint, an employer cannot legally forbid you from engaging in a legal activity. As long as smoking is legal, your employer cannot fire you for doing it on your own time. An employer can however determine what is allowed on their premises, and what you may do while in their employ. So, saying you may not smoke within so many feet of a building, or that you may not smell of smoke while working are legal.

There are places that make it a condition of employment that you do not smoke. Those that have been challenged in court have been overturned. But if you are willing to spend lawyer fees to defend your right to ingest a carcinogenic substance at great cost, then I'm guessing you got other issues.