Silly Question...

Easy

Forum Crew Member
What should I wear to my first day of class? I know we're getting uniform shirts, and it is an academy-style class.

I don't want to look like Mommy took me shopping...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate the mentality that a nice pair of khakis and a plain solid color polo would look like "mommy took me shopping".

This is what you should wear since it is academy style. Wear khakis and a solid color polo and it should give you a sense of pride and professionalism.

There is nothing wrong with wearing clothes that fit and are of "business casual" style. Its called being an adult and representing our profession the way it should be.

Good luck!

ECC

Forum Captain
I agree with ak.

I teach @ a community college, and at the Fire Academy. Nothing catches my eye faster than someone who arrives trying to look cool. Flip-flops, board-shorts and a t-shirt from whatever defunct sports team is not all that impressive.

But...that is what some of these Gen-Y'ers think is OK to show up in...When, in reality it is not.

Khakis and a solid golf/polo with shoes...not sneakers...will make the appropriate first impression.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Forum Crew Member
Thanks folks...I agree with looking professional. I wouldn't think of wearing flip-flops, etc. I've never been ashamed of being a bit "over-dressed" as I would feel silly looking like I just got off the beach. After all, I am 33 and not a teenager anymore.

Love this forum, I check in every day. Great stuff...

Can't wait to get started!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think I went to the same EMT academy as you'll be attending. OCC?

Everyone else has already said what I would have said. They'll tell you more information about the dress code on the first day :)

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
This thread has actually made me consider getting some more fitting clothes for Paramedic school. Would that be out of place? I tend to dress well regardless, but Khakis and Polo shirt sounds quite good.

I try to look and perform to the highest standards, but never thought about dressing formal for Paramedic school.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Forum Crew Member
I think I went to the same EMT academy as you'll be attending. OCC?

Everyone else has already said what I would have said. They'll tell you more information about the dress code on the first day :)

Macomb Community College... I was an OCC guy until last year, but now live in Macomb county and didn't want to pay extra tuition. It's hard enough paying the regular rate.....

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I took my first EMT class at OCC back in '80 at the M-59/Squirrel Rd campus. Good times, and a curriculum that was so intense that the stuff I learned then still serves me to this day. Geez I'm old...:p

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I took my first EMT class at OCC back in '80 at the M-59/Squirrel Rd campus. Good times, and a curriculum that was so intense that the stuff I learned then still serves me to this day. Geez I'm old...:p
I'm assuming it was the same campus as they're in now (Auburn Hills), though in retrospect it looks fairly new. Good times... good times. I wouldn't have done it anywhere else.

From what I understand, MCC also has a very strong program. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Forum Crew Member
What stinks is that I work at a hospital and I'm used to wearing pajamas (scrubs) to work. I havent worn real work clothes in 5 years:D

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What stinks is that I work at a hospital and I'm used to wearing pajamas (scrubs) to work. I havent worn real work clothes in 5 years:D
Scrubs would be my ideal uniform. They're cheap, cheap/easy to clean, and are just fun to wear. I'd kill for scrubs.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Forum Crew Member
Scrubs rule, except in the winter. I throw 'em out if they get to scummy... too many hospital bugs to take home, but I prolly carry them all anyway.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I like scrubs for the comfort but they also can be a pain. There very thin, and usually are not well designed for men and personally I feel they look unprofessional. Most employees never have their scrubs ironed or pressed and they fade pretty fast. Since now everyone wears scrubs from the kitchen help to housekeeping to nursing, it can be confusing and one can't determine what position they are. Since most wear ID badges with 1/2 lettering. It aggravates me to start a patient report to an ER only to be interrupted to be told " hold on, I'm not the nurse"... I am the ______(you fill in: tech, unit clerk, ECG tech, lab tech ??)

R/r 911

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Forum Crew Member
I agree. They aren't the most sturdy pieces of material. At our hospital, we're all color coded- Light blue for RN's, light green for CNA or Tech, maroon for Resiratory Therapists, dark blue for transport. The patients are given a booklet explaining this...I don't think, however, that they read this in the throes of appendicitis pain or in the post-anesthesia glow of narcotics. Good idea, though. I think it helps staff more than it does the patients.

ECC

Forum Captain
This thread has actually made me consider getting some more fitting clothes for Paramedic school. Would that be out of place? I tend to dress well regardless, but Khakis and Polo shirt sounds quite good.

I try to look and perform to the highest standards, but never thought about dressing formal for Paramedic school.

Thoughts?

Define formal...I think you will do just fine with business casual...

An occasional oxford with a tie is not bad either.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Define formal...I think you will do just fine with business casual...
More of the term I was looking for. Remember that my generation wears T-shirts the size of a small republic and are, generally speaking, a few french fries shy of a happy meal.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
****ies pants are great, easy to wash and iron and they look neat, dark blue or black are good colors to work with and you cannot beat the price! Closed toe shoes, dark color. Hope this helps! :)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Scrubs would be my ideal uniform. They're cheap, cheap/easy to clean, and are just fun to wear. I'd kill for scrubs.

I say we start the Matt needs scrubs fund!! What size Matt! ;)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Clothes:
Sturdy - easy to care for without falling apart.

Safety - depending on your clinicals around equipment, doesn't get entangled, doesn't flame or melt easily, keeps sharp equipment (pens, sisscors) in place without risk of puncture.

Stealth - move easily and gracefully with professional composure and style.

Scrubs; cheap, comfortable and can be boiled, but the draw strings can slip and slide, can't carry alot of equipment unless spend more on "fancy" scrubs,