Side Career

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
How many of you work a second job, career or own your own business in addition to working full time ems or fire? If you do, what do you do, how did you get into it?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How many of you work a second job, career or own your own business in addition to working full time ems or fire? If you do, what do you do, how did you get into it?

Full time on an Ambulance company. Second job at a stand-by EMS company. Third job as an EMT skills instructor up at my college.

Second job i got because I like doing stand-by events. Third job i got because my EMT instructor called me after I graduated and told me that I was getting the EMS student award for the 2010-2011 school year, and highly recommended that I should become a skills instructor.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Full time Fire/Medic

Part time medic for a City based EMS service

Part time medic for a private service

Part time skills instructor (hopefully will be teaching some classes fairly soon)

I work too damn much :p

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Parent of 2 great little girls

Primary job Full-time Paramedic Clinical Leader / CQI / ALS Level CE instruction

Secondary job Paramedic program associate instructor

Third BLS instructor with ACLS / PALS instructor certs already in the works

waterdog

Forum Ride Along
Love my Jobs

Paramedic with EMS service..

Pro Ski Patrol/medic at local mtn in winter..

Masonry Construction bus. I had before becoming a medic and still run and work at when not on the rig....Its where I make my real money... the Paramedic pay I put back for retirement.

Whitewater kayaking instructor.....

Kids are grown and out of the house and I hate sitting around, keeps me young!:rolleyes:^_^

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
When I was an EMT

...when pterodactyls flew the skies, I was 24 on/24 off and one Kelly day every two weeks (Thursdays) on active USAF duty as a firefighter (Crash Rescueman if you please). I worked a civilian ambulance job, eight hours a day, on my off weekdays.
Later, when I was a nursing student, for a while I was that, plus traditional (weekend warrior) Air Guard (Med Tech) and, for about four months, worked about six or seven of eight hour shifts a month on an IFT EMT ambulance / medivan service.
I continued with the weekend Guard (as an officer) while working at the jail; I saw my family one weekend a month for ten years, except a short period when I used vacation time to take off every other weekend, and during DESERT STORM stateside deployment (saw them more than during my supervisor days as a RN).

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Seasonal wild land firefighter.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Full time management..Part time management...Yeah I dont have time for a side job. And make enough at this one that I dont feel the need to have one.

Back when I was a new and poor paramedic I worked full time on the unit along with part-time fire/ems dispatch and part-time on a unit.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Full time paramedic with an IFT/911/Air service.
Freelance graphic designer and general IT guy.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
I actually work full-time for the USFS as an Archaeologist (collateral duties wildland firefighting). I work part-time for our County 911 EMS service (paid).
Have a great and understanding husband and 2 little kiddos at home.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
My full time job is as a Safety and Security Officer at a retail outlet. I volunteer with my town Volunteer EMS Dept,

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
I am a IT guy by profession (day job) and spend the rest of my time (weekends, some night shifts) as a volunteer EMT-B.

I generally volunteer with the government services (Metro EMS) but also work with the private services (now and again) Netcare 911.

Netcare 911 is very quiet so I don't like to spend too much time with them, if I am going to work, I'd rather goto Metro EMS because those 12 hour shifts I get insanely busy!

Currently waiting on Metro EMS to give me driving authorization so I can drive the ambulances (I have to work as a 2nd or 3rd now)

Joe

Forum Captain
Full time EMT
Part time Retail Loss Prevention
Part time Cemetery Grave digger

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I actually work full-time for the USFS as an Archaeologist (collateral duties wildland firefighting). I work part-time for our County 911 EMS service (paid).
Have a great and understanding husband and 2 little kiddos at home.

Incredibly jealous...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Truth be known...

I spend so much time here and writing about EMS I'd say it's still my profession, but if you're curious how I earn a living, it's HERE!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Injury biomechanics/crash survivability researcher.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Full-time OSHA outreach trainer.

Part-time Flight Medic on a Neo/OB transport team.

Full-time dad and husband.

Freelance Flight Instructor.