Should observing an autopsy be required?

Should an autopsy observation be required as part of the EMT-B?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Ewww gross, are you crazy?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A comment in another thread got me wondering if observing an autopsy should be a required part of the EMT-Basic curriculum. What do you think and why?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We had to observe two autopsies when I was in paramedic school. I was so grossed out for the first one that I don't think I paid one lick of attention or got anything at all out of it. The second one I felt a lot better about and maybe even found a bit interesting, but still probably didn't get anything useful out of it.

I doubt in most cases that the educational value of observing an autopsy or two is worth the effort. It just isn't nearly enough time to study the anatomical structures in any depth.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What benefit would an autopsy be? would an EMT understand what the doctor conducting the autopsy was doing? We don't deal with the dead, so how would it help? It might be cool to watch, but would there be any educational value? I don't think so, esp since most EMTs A&P classes are grossly lacking.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
From my experience, it helped me understand how the organs are actually situated in the body, but I agree the A&P part of the EMT course is sadly lacking.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
This type of thing sounds like more of a desensitization exercise than a learning one. What possible use could it serve? Even a cadaver lab is outside the EMT scope. Time far better spent in clinical rotations where care is being given.

Achilles

Forum Moron
From my experience, it helped me understand how the organs are actually situated in the body, but I agree the A&P part of the EMT course is sadly lacking.
Hopefully it wasn‘t someone with situs inversus...

Summit

Critical Crazy
I did a cadaver lab as part of my EMT. It was taught by a PA. It was great.

I had several more as part of A&P, RN, and EMS CE taught by ED MDs... and of several visits to plasticized cadaver museum exhibits (eg bodyworlds).

I never thought about an autopsy. I am friends with enough deputy coroner's that I could make it happen if I was inclined.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
I would think at the EMT level scheduling alone would be a problem. My agency's current EMT class has 25 students. There are at least four programs in the area. 100 autopsies in 2 months? I honestly don't know how many are done in our city a year. I'd think more clinical time would be better at the EMT level.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As stated, seems like a cadaver lab would be much more beneficial. Finally got to do a trauma lab a few years ago and man was that a great experience.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I can understand why a cadaver lab would be more beneficial, but the reality is is that autopsies are performed at far more locations than a cadaver lab is held at.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It doesn't have to be 100 autopsies every 2 months. It could be done with 4 or 8 every two months. I figure that you put around a dozen students in the room at a time and have them observe. Personally I think they should observe an autopsy where they have an idea of the cause of death and that the suspected cause of death be something relatively obvious once you look at the organs. Of course, during the autopsy, they'd also get a sense of the general location of the body's organs as they actually are.

That all being said, if the EMT students were required to take an A&P course (even if it is a 1 semester "survey" course) prior to taking the EMT course, they'd have a better idea about what they're seeing and working on. If that A&P course includes a cadaver lab, that's also fantastic as you'd get a more "hands-on" intro to the body. I got pretty lucky in that I had that experience when I first took A&P. A few years later when I did a "refresher" course, we didn't have any cadavers as they were too expensive. Instead we had cats. As interesting as that was, I didn't exactly get enthused about learning about cat anatomy.