School Nurse Wanna Be's

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
The Health Educator was a teacher, and did not hold an RN or Paramedic degree. No, I said that in my case they switched in and out, and that in some places I know of School Nurses do teach health classes.

Except they cannot be the primary teacher.

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Then they are unqualified and misrepresenting themselves as a teacher.
They are not teachers, teachers are present in the classroom to deal with the kids while the School Nurse talks about a healthy lifestyle. And they are not unqualified, they are teaching about health-related topics, when you deal with patient education, are you misrepresenting yourself ? No, so why is this Nurse ? And if it is so wide-spread, why are there not legal cases taking place for all these nurses ?

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Except they cannot be the primary teacher.
They were not the primary teacher, I just told you they came in to discuss nutrition, puberty, hygiene among other things in more detail. A teacher was always present in the classroom.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
They are not teachers, teachers are present in the classroom to deal with the kids while the School Nurse talks about a healthy lifestyle. And they are not unqualified, they are teaching about health-related topics, when you deal with patient education, are you misrepresenting yourself ? No, so why is this Nurse ? And if it is so wide-spread, why are there not legal cases taking place for all these nurses ?

The way you worded it, it sounded like they were the primary teacher. If that's not the case then I am wrong. If that is the case, then I am right.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
They were not the primary teacher, I just told you they came in to discuss nutrition, puberty, hygiene among other things in more detail. A teacher was always present in the classroom.
But you are saying a nurse comes in for most of the topics? Do you feel a nurse is more qualified than someone who in most cases went to school for four years to teach those subjects?

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread reopened.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I hope this thread can be civil. Otherwise it will be closed permanently by the CLs.

Good. Its everyone against happy.

She isn't changing her mind and we've said everything there is.

sdennislee

Forum Crew Member
Can't believe the topic went as far as it did.

I quit lending any credit to it when Candy said the school nurse would be a better choice to deal with Lil Johnny when he fainted as she would know he was hypoglycemic. No medical training required here, only the ability to read a school record. Now what if it was another reason for fainting, I'm betting on the EMT for emergency issues not contained in a file cabinet.

I thought the responses to her post were very mild and to some point considerate. After reading her initial post I thought for sure she would be flamed.

Damn can't believe I just added to this thread, shame on me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Good. Its everyone against happy.

She isn't changing her mind and we've said everything there is.

Cant force a horse to learn tricks

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
WOW.... <-- My comments on the stupidity contained within this thread.

Maybe Happy should do some ride along with a good ALS crew...

18G

Paramedic
Happy.. you are ignorant to the capability of a Paramedic and the roles they can fulfill. It's a given some are less than desirable with their knowledge base and approach but guess what, there are just as many nurses that don't possess the level of knowledge and clinical care they should.

An RN that worked in a nursing home for 20yrs and that's all they did isn't going to be as up-to-date and fast acting in an emergency as a Paramedic. And that is my opinion based on exposure to hundreds of different RN's in A LOT of nursing homes over an almost 20yr period.

Your telling me that a Paramedic can't handle a fracture or laceration on the playground, a seizure, asthma attack, diabetes issue, syncope, or number of other issues that arise in a school?

I can't speak for other states but Paramedic's in PA are authorized to administer vaccines. And how hard is it to teach a Paramedic how to maintain records the way the school want's them maintained? Patient care documentation is an art and one I take very seriously and have received numerous compliments on from different EMS organizations. And most EMS providers take pride in their documentation.

And Paramedic's teach all the time! So why couldn't they teach certain segments of a school program such as CPR, injury prevention, and other related programs? In fact Paramedics would be the more ideal in most cases since they have the actual experience.

I think were all aware of the reports of young people killing over on the sports field and playground. A Paramedic would be the preferred person to initiate care and respond to that situation.

Not sure where your animosity is coming from but its way off base.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Cant force a horse to learn tricks

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk
8celeb-ghack02.jpg

It's just a matter of voltage.

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
Happy.. you are ignorant to the capability of a Paramedic and the roles they can fulfill. It's a given some are less than desirable with their knowledge base and approach but guess what, there are just as many nurses that don't possess the level of knowledge and clinical care they should.

An RN that worked in a nursing home for 20yrs and that's all they did isn't going to be as up-to-date and fast acting in an emergency as a Paramedic. And that is my opinion based on exposure to hundreds of different RN's in A LOT of nursing homes over an almost 20yr period.

Your telling me that a Paramedic can't handle a fracture or laceration on the playground, a seizure, asthma attack, diabetes issue, syncope, or number of other issues that arise in a school?

I can't speak for other states but Paramedic's in PA are authorized to administer vaccines. And how hard is it to teach a Paramedic how to maintain records the way the school want's them maintained? Patient care documentation is an art and one I take very seriously and have received numerous compliments on from different EMS organizations. And most EMS providers take pride in their documentation.

And Paramedic's teach all the time! So why couldn't they teach certain segments of a school program such as CPR, injury prevention, and other related programs? In fact Paramedics would be the more ideal in most cases since they have the actual experience.

I think were all aware of the reports of young people killing over on the sports field and playground. A Paramedic would be the preferred person to initiate care and respond to that situation.

You sir, placed all the words I could not into light. +1

JPINFV

Gadfly

Is that all a school nurse does, or all that you think a school nurse does?

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I understand some nurses don't possess proper skills and clinical knowledge. Don't make assumptions I am here to slaughter all the Paramedics I have ever faced, because that is simply not the case.

I agree, there skills are most likely to be somewhat diminished, but this has really nothing to do with this thread. Your attempting to make it that I think Paramedic's and EMT's cannot handle medical emergencies, not the case, again.

No, I am not. I even said multiple times that the Paramedic would most likely be more educated in dealing with those types of illnesses, but when it comes to the day-to-day patient education and the understanding of fundamental education is where Paramedics lack and so do RN's, until the certificate is awarded. You haven't read the thread obviously.

Here, your making assumptions. Do you really know most of EMS ? No, you do not. So for you to make generalized statements as such aren't truly conceivable, I will agree that teaching it is not a skill that is difficult. But again, the School Nurse has more training and experience with such documentation. I never once said a Paramedic couldn't be a school health provider, they would just need the correct certification to do so and not take the title "nurse."

This is true, but do they teach in a specialized environment such as schools and are trained to do so and even required to pass an exam on such subjects ? No, they do not. They certainly could, but I know very few Paramedics who would be comfortable with such situations, it simply isn't in their specialty to make public speeches on such topics. Not saying it isn't possible, but further education must be pursued.

Again, I never said the Paramedic would be incapable and less capable than the School Nurse, it is the other more prominent job requirements that concern me.
And since you came in her with the wrong thoughts and and not even reading what I have said or had to say, I don't believe your in the position to critique my opinions on unauthorized persons calling themselves nurses when they are not, and not having the proper education to fulfill the role fresh out of their program.

JPINFV

Gadfly
They should just end the squabbling and have a physician do the job.

/thread.

18G

Paramedic
Happy... no I didnt read the entire 20 page thread on the silly subject. But I did read enough of your posts to see where you were coming from. The core of the position a Paramedic could do just fine. And so what if they would need an additional 2 or 3 week orientation to go over certain things for the job. Why is that a problem?

Most states do allow Paramedics to administer vaccinations in case of pandemics and other scenarios. Its a simple injection! And the vaccine itself can be learned in no time at all.

Im not wanting to engage in a debate with you just wanted to give my opinion. I worked my 12.5/hr shift today and am tired and have to get up at 530am and do it all over. It's hard work being a Paramedic and roaming around with a patient on a cardiac monitor, multiple drip medications, a vent, and other things going on without knowing my *** from the hole in the ground. Imagine the stress my dear :)

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Happy... no I didnt read the entire 20 page thread on the silly subject. But I did read enough of your posts to see where you were coming from. The core of the position a Paramedic could do just fine. And so what if they would need an additional 2 or 3 week orientation to go over certain things for the job. Why is that a problem?

Most states do allow Paramedics to administer vaccinations in case of pandemics and other scenarios. Its a simple injection! And the vaccine itself can be learned in no time at all.

Im not wanting to engage in a debate with you just wanted to give my opinion. I worked my 12.5/hr shift today and am tired and have to get up at 530am and do it all over. It's hard work being a Paramedic and roaming around with a patient on a cardiac monitor, multiple drip medications, a vent, and other things going on without knowing my *** from the hole in the ground. Imagine the stress my dear :)
No, no, no. Here is what your not seeing, when you said if an orientation or a little more training was needed for the job, it is certainly not a problem, that is what I am stressing in this entire thread! And the vaccines I was more speaking in the states they couldn't, for that could bring up issues.
Wow, sounds like an interesting shift! I totally respect your opinion, and I'm glad you chimed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.