Schedule

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I acquired a new responsibility at work. I am in charge of making the schedule every month. I though that it was no big deal until I couldn't find people to work weekends. It is a volunteer agency so I technically can't make people work. I'm not sure what to do. I cannot work every weekend. Lately I have been working every friday from 6pm to 6am monday morning. How do I get people to work? weekends?

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
maby try some incentives like free food or something

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Funny that you suggest that because I told two members that if they ran saturday night I would make them a meal. They agreed but now I have to cook. Which normally I don't cook unless it involves 3mins in a microwave.lol

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I have never cooked fish. The only fish I have ever ate came out of a can that said tuna.lol. What would I fix for dessert?

JPINFV

Gadfly
What ever you want. Ice cream, cookies, pretty much anything.

SunnyEMT

Forum Ride Along
Pasta Bolognaise is the easiest way to go. It's easy to cook at home and reheat at the station. Brown off about 1lb ground beef per 2-3 people (depending on appetites!) mix in a big bottle of Ragu or Preggo (the chunky veggie variety is yum) and let simmer on low/medium heat for 10- 15 minutes. Big pot of boiling water, pinch of salt, dash of olive oil in the water to stop clumping and help taste then dump probably 2 handfuls of pasta tubes or bowties per person, 10-12 minutes until they're soft and then dump them out into a strainer, rinse with cold water to stop them sticking.

Put sauce and pasta into 2 tupperware, take in a bag of shredded italian cheeses or a pot of parmesan shavings, and hey presto, easy inexpensive dinner for whoever.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, the fish takes about 2 hours to make, but an hour of it is marinading (who cares... and you can cut it down a little if you want) and 30 minutes is baking.

Clean up tip: Line the marinading pan with foil (the recipe calls for wrapping the fish in foil when baking, which of course also makes it easier to transport) so that the marinade stay on the foil. Wrap fish, dump marinade, trash the foil, and done.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
What ever you want. Ice cream, cookies, pretty much anything.

Last time I attempted to make cookies was at christmas time. I don't know what happened but it went horribly wrong. I was just trying to make chocolate chip cookies. :(

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
only fair way is to divide the squad into paired up teams, you can let who wants to partner up with whoever they want. make it so each team works one weekend in rotation. if you have enough teams, they will only be on call like one weekend every other month.
Heck, if you have enough, one team on Sat, another on Sun, don't know about your state, but a full crew in MN is only 2.
say you have 20 emt's,, that's 10 teams, 52 weeks in a year,, 5 weekends a year they will be oncall..

stress to the members, that is is a volly, but if nobody volly's, the service just might go under. someone has to cover the calls. it might be a neighboring volly,, how does that look to the people who fund your crew?? there taxes and donations are going for a service who does not want to work??

this is not your responcability anyway, the director knows no one wants to work, and he/she passed the problem on to you..

we are a volly also, and no problem getting weekends covered, most of the time we have 3 on the scedule. but we are paid $3 an hour for weekend oncall, and $25 per run. but only the first 2 lines are paid, the third is oncall, and gets paid only if there is a call.

it's a budget thing,, how bad does your community want this service? then they are going to have to offer incentives,,, but not at somone elses expence, yours!!

yup, you inherited a known problem and expected to fix it..

I stand by my 5 weekends a year. if you have more emts,, then it'll be less obviously...

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I suggested that idea to my captain. He said he didn't know if anyone would go for it. Which I told him it wasn't fair the same people running every weekend. Our members get paid call reimbursement for calls that they run. Thats why I don't understand why its so hard to get people to run. We even have contracted labor. They won't work either.

JPINFV

Gadfly
How many vehicles does your service have? Would it be possible if people lived in the area for one person to take home the ambulance and another to take home a fly car? This way their lives are less disrupted during down time.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
sounds like some other places i know,,, the members are in it for the fancy coat to show off when they are off duty.. with is most of the time. not just EMS either,, but PD..

anyway,, it's time for a come to Jesus meeting with some of your squad. let me guess, a bunch of old timers that have "put in there time" as they say...

well,, just wait until a call comes in and nobody responds.. maybe that is what it has to take to wake people up.. i bet your board of directors or who ever is in above your so called captain would no be happy..

anyway good luck, and think of all the experiance YOU are getting on the weekends..

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Ok so here is the deal... We have one of the nicest buildings to stay at. It is equiped with bunk rooms, a small kitchen, workout room, pool table, internet, a large flat screen t.V with cable. Members are allowed to run from home as long as they are within 5mins from the building. So I really really don't get this I don't want to run weekends thing. Sure I would like to spend time with my family and friends too but unfortunatly I don't get to do that. (Mainly because I'm working every weekend) I work 2 jobs and go to school. I know if I can work weekends others can too. They always use there family though as an excuse. (Example Well I would run but I don't get to see my family much and this is the only time I get to see them.)

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
have their cake and eat it too..

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so here is the deal... We have one of the nicest buildings to stay at. It is equiped with bunk rooms, a small kitchen, workout room, pool table, internet, a large flat screen t.V with cable. Members are allowed to run from home as long as they are within 5mins from the building. So I really really don't get this I don't want to run weekends thing. Sure I would like to spend time with my family and friends too but unfortunatly I don't get to do that. (Mainly because I'm working every weekend) I work 2 jobs and go to school. I know if I can work weekends others can too. They always use there family though as an excuse. (Example Well I would run but I don't get to see my family much and this is the only time I get to see them.)

I'll work weekends !!

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I wish you could work weekends. I need a day off. I haven't had one in at least a month. If you only lived closer.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
is there snow where you are at??? might be an incentive or not... we got about 50 inches sense dec 1.. time for a change..