Scared for my first run

emtB123

Forum Probie
New EMT here, I'm scared to death for my first run outside of clinicals. Any advice?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Don't drop the stretcher.
Don't fake the vital signs.
Ask questions of your partner.
Don't pass up any opportunity to pee.
Have fun... this is the pay off to emt class.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Don't drop the stretcher.
Don't fake the vital signs.
Ask questions of your partner.
Don't pass up any opportunity to pee.
Have fun... this is the pay off to emt class.

This. It's normal to be nervous for your first call, we were all there once. The more you do it the more comfortable it will become. My word of advice is try to stay calm and if you don't know something then ask. Have fun and good luck.

OP
OP
emtB123

emtB123

Forum Probie
Thanks guys. We didn't get much of a chance to go over ops in class. Any advice in that area?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember, it's not your emergency, take a deep breath and a mental step back if need be. Trust your partners and your training and you'll do just fine.

As far as ops go, they generally don't go into great detail in that in EMT school because each place runs things differently, so you'll learn all the specifics at your agencies new hire orientation once you get hired, but it boils down to what DEMedic said, don't drop the gurney or the patient, know what you're going to say on the radio before you press the push to talk button, make sure you know where all your equipment is and how to operate it, including the mapbook! Relax, keep your eyes and ears open, ask lots of questions, learn all you can, and have fun.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
How does one drop a gurney? Isn't it attached to the ground by wheels?

Dropping a backboard or hand-carry stretcher, on the other hand...

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Wheeled stretchers need to be able to collapse in order to fit into the ambulance. If you don't lock the frame while taking the patient out and try to have the ground support them.... yeah.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Ah. Well, I usually am not the one who takes the stretcher all the way to the ambulance, hence I didn't think of that. :)

Just from the pt to the point of egress/handoff.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
How does one drop a gurney? Isn't it attached to the ground by wheels?

Dropping a backboard or hand-carry stretcher, on the other hand...

Pt drops are more common than most think.. Not only from loading/unloading but from tipping over.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
The day after my first shift on duty my "partner" wrote me up for unsafe lifting technique. In front of the supe she said "remember last night when the gurney almost tipped over?". " No, which patient was it?". "I don't remember." The supe had us lift the gurney up and down a few times and then told her she was doing it wrong. Turns out this girl has written up about 3/4 of the company...and 100% of a local FD.

For the OP: Keep your ears open, mouth shut (relatively), and do what your FTO tells you. You will be fine. Oh, and if you have to pee, go pee.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's a rough first run. Sorry to hear you had it to pop your cherry.

On the subject of patient drops the biggest things that cause them are someone sinking with the catch bar on the way out of the ambulance, not actually catching the bar on the hook prior to loading the gurney and moving patients on it while in the load position. When it's up in the load position the center of gravity is way to high and all it takes is a piece of gravel, a bump or a crack in the sidewalk to topple it.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
not actually catching the bar on the hook prior to loading the gurney

My second worst fear (after slipping while stair chairing...). I always say "you're hooked" if I'm bringing the wheels up, or "we're hooked" if I'm operating the stretcher.

Reactions: Rin

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Its your first call. Your partner will know that. And 99% chance of a boring call anyway.